Span(s)houses ? , Bunkle & Preston.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

grannysrock

Span(s)houses ? , Bunkle & Preston.....

Post by grannysrock » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:37 pm

I've looked in the NLS collection, old-maps, gazetteers, Statistical Accounts etc, but I findeth not the location of Spanhouses/Spanshouses in the parish of Buncle & Preston . My ancestor and his siblings were born there and I can't locate it. Nearest I found was Slighhouses, but that is definitely not what the OPR says.

Time period is 1770's - the family concerned ( Pringle) are associated with both Preston and Lintlaw in that parish at that time - I would assume it's close to one of those.

Anyone got any thoughts where I might try next ? Or better still knows where it is ?

Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:37 am

Hi Sally
I can't help with this I'm afraid, as I'm not local to the area, but I just wondered if it might be the name of something like a row of cottages or similar, which would probably not be shown on maps.

What about trying the local FHS? They probably know the area well (they should do! :lol: ) and could maybe shed some light on it.
http://www.bordersfhs.org.uk/

Best wishes
Lesley

m
Researching:
Midlothian & Fife - Goalen, Lawrie, Ewart, Nimmo, Jamieson, Dick, Ballingall.
Dunbartonshire- Mcnicol, Davy, Guy, McCunn, McKenzie.
Ayrshire- Lyon, Parker, Mitchell, Fraser.
Easter Ross- McCulloch, Smith, Ross, Duff, Rose.

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:54 pm

Good advice Lesley - I'll give it a try .

Thanks

Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS