Todd Buchle - whit?.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

pinkshoes

Todd Buchle - whit?.....

Post by pinkshoes » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:50 pm

Hope someone can help me in my ignorance (or out my ignorance) :D

1871 Census New Monkland has Hugh Gallocher (born Ireland) and family born in Lanark and Fife. Has anyone heard of Todd Buchle or anything like it in Lanark? Or Bengrie in Fife? Salom/Salem in Fife? I really have no idea what it's meant to be - Balingry, Saline? But haven't a Scooby about Todd ..

If DavidWW reads this - sounds like Araphady strikes again :lol:

Thanks a lot.

Pinkshoes

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:13 am

Hi Pinkshoes,

Can you upload this one to the Gallery?

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:20 am

Aye, can I indeed :lol:

I've had a bash - hope it works.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-447

Thanks Andrew

Pinkshoes

Gallery URL added - AndrewP

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:32 am

Hi Pinkshoes,

I've found your "Todd Buchle" (or "Todd Buchts" as I read it) as "Todsbughts" on the 1890s parish map at:

http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/ea ... _list.html
Select sheet 31 - Airdrie
Click in the centre of the map on the boundary of the yellow parish (New Monkland, Lanarkshire) and the pink parish (Slamannan, Stirlingshire).
Keep clicking on that boundary until the writing becomes legible as it zooms in.
Just on the Slamannan side of the boundary, you should find "Todsbughts".

For the Fife ones, I agree with Saline, but I shall have another look for "Bengrie". I'm not sure about Ballingriy for that one, but so far I have nothing better to offer.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

m

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:46 am

You're a genius Andrew - thank you very much, I'd never have worked that one out. Todsbughts, eh - how would one pronounce that I wonder? Even in my best Stirlingshire accent, I don't think I could hazard a guess, having never her'tello'it :lol:

Maybe some of the linguists among us could shed some light !

It's odd that the birthplaces are so precise - sadly I can't find any births for any Gallochers (or even any Gal*) in Fife - thousands in Lanark, but where to start? Now you've found Todds Buchle for me, I might find John! I found Catherine on LDS and an Elizabeth who died the year she was born, but none of the others. Mary Ann and John should be there and at a push Hugh, but no such. Mind you Mary Ann is a bigger fibber than Tam Pepper when it comes to her age :lol: :lol:

Thanks again Andrew.

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:20 am

Hi Pinkshoes,

I have found the children below on the IGI, some of which should be yours. (Did Margaret and Elizabeth die before the 1871 census?)

Mary Ann Gorracher
Hugh Gorracher / Elizabeth Docharty
01-Dec-1857 Saline, Fife

Margaret Gorracher
Hugh Gorracher / Bridget Docherty
06-Mar-1862 Slamannan, Stirlingshire

Catherine Gallocher
Hugh Gallocher / Bridget Docherty
15-Jun-1864 New Monkland, Lanarkshire

Elizabeth Gallocher
Hugh Gallocher / Bridget Docherty
28-Mar-1867 New Monkland, Lanarkshire

Try these on ScotlandsPeople.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:18 pm

Hello Andrew - well, impressive or what! I have used any number of combinations and wildcards, but Gorracher wouldn't have occured to me in a million years. As for Mary Ann's mother being Elizabeth, as well as ages being dubious, they were none too fussy about names either :lol: Elizabeth would make sense, as I have another one further down the line who transmogrified from Bridget to Elizabeth and ended up Bessie (you may recall the poor lady who ended up with her skull fractured along with mate at Dothan Toll - you helped me out there too).

Margaret may well have died - she wasn't on the 71 census - so I'll check that out as well.

Hooray, just when I'd reached a barren spell - thank you so much. I hope Mary Ann turns out to be the right one - she's my great grandmother so too close a connection to let lie. I'll report back on what I find.

Now you don't happen to know where in Ireland Hugh was born :?: :lol: :lol:

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:22 pm

Todsbught is pronounced 'Todds bu ch t '

it's still there as a farm there were 2 bits to it in the past, a farm and a main house., and lots of miners houses - the area is simply littered with old coal mining debris.

I asked a friend if he knew of it a couple of years ago - his father owns the farm across the road ! Roughrigg.

One of 'ours' Robert Marshall was living there when he married in 1866 [ he was a coal miner]

I've got the 1871 census for Toddsbught Colliery Houses [ 6 households]
Thom, Johnston, Brown, Marshall, Dryburgh, Matthews.[ schedule 108 - 113]
They were all coal miners.
I imagine you've got one of the pages before or after.

Strictly speaking it's in Stirlingshire -Slamannan Parish but right on the boundray so could be your folks' house was on the Lanarkshire side where as ours are on the East side !
Wilma

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:01 pm

Brilliant Wilma - thanks for all the info. My lot were coalminers too, so that fits fine. The page I have is Nos 4 - 8 New Row, Roughrigg, New Monkland. In case it's of any interest the families are Fowler, Forbes, Gallocher, Wallace and Sneddon - all coalminers bar a Railway Engine Driver and a Blacksmith.

Andrew - I've had a modicum of success on SP though I got dragged into work screaming before I'd had a real bash at it. Just about to give it lalldy now. Was stumped with Mary Ann on SP - she turns out to be Mary Ann Goracher - I wonder what (Irish?) accent turned Goracher into Gallocher, and at what point. Doesn't make life easy :wink: Looking at 1871 census I thought at first Hugh was 15, but as he's at the bottom of the list and there's a semblence of a squiggle, I'm wondering if he's 15 wks or mths. If either, probably weeks or he'd be in as age 1?

Thanks again both - off to sharpen the credit card and get at SP again.

Pinkshoes

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:03 pm

Hi Pinkshoes,

How about this one for the parents' marriage:

HUGH GALLAGHER (son of Patrick Gallagher)
BRIDGET DOGHERTY (daugherty of Anthony Dogherty)
07-Feb-1864
141, Kincassalagh RC, Donegal, Ireland

and a daughter

MARY GALLAGHER
Hugh Gallagher / Biddy Doherty
26-May-1865
0120, Dunglow, Donegal, Ireland

I cannot be sure that these are the same family as your ones, but must be worth a look.

Where does Mary Ann's birth certificate give for the parents' marriage? Any match for the above?

All the best,

Andrew Paterson