The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

maggie

Bridge of johnstone.....

Post by maggie » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:25 pm

Hello
can anyone please direct me to where i can find info on
Bridge of Johnstone was it a village? i have tried googling for it in the past
is it that it is now called Johnstone and the bridge part of the name has been dropped?i was reminded of the need to clarify where it was through reading one of the other posts and i had a look at the links but still didn't see bridge of Johnstone.
kind regards maggie

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:56 pm

Johnstone Bridge is the area of Johnstone [in Renfrewshire] to the west of the town centre on the road leading to Kilbarchan.

I don't recall hearing it called that , but I remember that there is a sizable bridge [ with a tannery or mills there?] - our friend from Kilbarchan may fill in the details ......

If you look at http://www.old-maps.co.uk 'gazetteer ' - Renfrewshire - J -Johnstone then click 'west' twice and 'north' once then request the 'enlarged view' you should find it.

A quarry is marked on that one.

m
Wilma

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

Post by Liz Turner » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:05 pm

Hi Maggie

Johnstone seems to be very popular today! I've always lived in the general area of Johnstone, Renfrewshire and have never heard of Bridge of Johnstone, but maybe with some luck someone might know the area better than me.

I did a search on google using "Bridge of Johnstone" with the quotes and it returned four matches all of which referred to Renfrewshire so I suspect it was an area around the edge of the town somewhere. Maybe someone here would be good enough to direct you to a website for an old map of the area.

Good luck.

PS Just seen Wilma's post. I drive past that part of the town to and from work everyday! In the time I've been around here I think it's the area referred to as Nether Johnstone. There are smallholdings and a few houses in the area.

Liz
Fife: Nicolson, Cornfoot, Walker, Gibson, Balsillie, Galt, Elder
NE Scot: Nicolson, Lindsay, Haliburton, Ross
Edin & Central: Nicolson, Blaikie, Stevenson, Ross, Hotchkiss, Suttie, Christie, Clelland, Gray, Purvis, Lang, Dickson
Ross & Cromarty: Ross

maggie

Post by maggie » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:54 pm

Hello Wilma&Liz
thankyou for your replies
the timespan i am refering to is 1812 when a Mary Galbraith was born there daughter of a Julia?Mctaggart & Archibald Galbraith born Bridge of Johnston & registered at Paisley according to her 1855 marriage cert in the 1861 census it also refers to her being born Bridge of Johnstone .
thankyou once again for your help it is appreciated.
kind regards maggie

Jack

Re Bridge of Johnstone

Post by Jack » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:29 pm

Hi Maggie,
This snippet from Fullerton's Gazetteer of Scotland.
--
Johnstone. On the right bank of the river Black Cart. Till 1781 it consisted of a small hamlet,
with a population of 10 persons, near the bridge over the river, called the "Brig o' Johnstone".
In that year a large mill for the spinning of cotton was erected here, and the formation of the town commenced,
and proceeded so rapidly, that in 1792 the inhabitants amounted to 1,434; in 1811, to 3,647; and in 1831, to 5,617. In 1841 upwards of 7,000.
--
So a fair chance that Mary Galbraith's parents were from an other area (unless they were amongst that original 10!)
Jack

maggie

Post by maggie » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:01 pm

Hello Jack
thankyou for your reply
and for finding the info on bridge of johnstone
i suspect your right that my Galbraiths where not part of the original 10 :)
but 2 of the 3,647 :roll: .thankyou once again
kind regards
maggie

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:02 am

Hi Maggie

When the mill was built at what appears to have been called Brig' o'Johnstone alongside it was a managers house called Mount Pleasance and a lodge house. My wife's relatives lived there (in the lodge house of course) around the same time as your family.
Some people moved just over the boundary into Kilbarchan parish at Barbush Place which tied in with Nether Johnstone.
The map reference you were given should bring it up. Johnstone was developed as a town to take advantage of the coal and minerals nearby so it became one of the early industrial centres and developed into a town known worldwide for its machinery manufactories.

It was part of Abbey parish, Paisley unlike Kilbarchan which was a separate parish.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

maggie

Post by maggie » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:50 pm

Hello Russell
thankyou ever so much for the info on Brig O Johnstone
it is appreciated .
I am going along the line of thinking :roll: (dangerous stuff for me :) )
that whatever they where doing in Brig O Johnstone/Bridge of Johnstone where Mary "says" she was born that they didn't stay there and went back to Kilcalmonell/Kilberry Glassary/north knapdale i think i just might have found some siblings of Mary's born in these places in later years last night and the parents marriage i just need to work out if the different spellings of her mothers surname Mciintagairt/mctagart/Mctaggart are the same person as for the christian name well :roll: i've found Julia, Gilly,Chiles,and the best one
JELLY (reminds me of jelly pieces).
maybe's they went there to work and didn't settle.
thankyou once again
kind regards maggie

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:34 pm

maggie wrote: e where Mary "says" she was born that they didn't stay there and went back to Kilcalmonell/Kilberry Glassary/north knapdale i think i just might have found some siblings of Mary's born in these places in later years last night and the parents marriage i just need to work out if the different spellings of her mothers surname Mciintagairt/mctagart/Mctaggart are the same person as for the christian name well :roll: i've found Julia, Gilly,Chiles,and the best one
JELLY (reminds me of jelly pieces).
maggie
Maggie
You don't know if the family were Gaelic speaking or not? Chiles
sounds just the way a Gaelic speaker would pronounce the given name of Giles

Regards
Catriona

maggie

Post by maggie » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:57 am

Hello Cartiona :)
thankyou for your message
i have no idea at all if they spoke gaelic or not
is Giles a female name or male?or can it be both?
i think i can remember a man on television called Giles Brandreth (not sure that is spelt correctly )but thats the only time i have come across that name.
kind regards maggie