Canongate, Edinburgh.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Debrs

Canongate, Edinburgh.....

Post by Debrs » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:30 am

Hi, I have come across an address in the Canongate that I can't decipher, wongered if someone could help please?

It's on a marriage certificate from 1859 and looks like Hopy Land, Canongate. I have tried to find anything like it in a website which details lots of closes etc round the Canongate, but without any success.

So. I'm hoping someone out there might recognise it!

Thanks, Debbie

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:05 am

Hi Debbie

You didn't say whether you had posted the certificate to the gallery so others could see it.
Instructions for posting are in there and once the image is available we can all see it and give our opinions. We have never come to blows about it and usually we can reach some kind of agreement about what it says.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:17 am

Hi Debbie,

I've had a look at an 1890s (modern reprint) map of Edinburgh (Holyrood) that takes in the Canongate area and I can find nothing of the like. Not having seen the certificate, I would offer Hope's Land as a possibility. Any chance that you could upload the image of this to the TalkingScot Gallery?

Also, are the couple, or the family of one of them to be found there on the 1861 census? To hopefully give somebody else's handwriting of the same address.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

Debrs

Post by Debrs » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:27 am

Thanks both of you, I'll have a go at putting the image on the gallery. Wish me luck!