Scarrel, Bute.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

ninatoo

Scarrel, Bute.....

Post by ninatoo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:48 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a place in Bute/North Bute called Scarrel. I suspect it is a name of a farm, as try as I might I can't find it on any map. My Graham family are on the censuses from 1841-1871 as living there, and I would like to try and find out its location.

I have looked at the map sites, googled Scarrel and various spellings, and have thoroughly checked out the Bute Sons and Daughters site (and posted a message there) but so far no success. I did a search at NAS online and came up with one reference, part of a HUGE list:

"Photostat copy of volume of plans, being a survey of the Isle of Bute, the patrimonial estate of the Earl of Bute, including the island of Inchmarnock and part of Great Cumbrae Island: (Original plans drawn on parchment)
The photocopies in RHP 14107 are of, as follows:-

61-62. Description and plan of Kildavanan, Scarrel, Butleachen and Lenihall.
"

Maybe someone can look in library records perhaps?

Anyone here know anything about Scarrel?

Nina[/i]

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:25 pm

Hi Nina

I haven't checked out maps yet but this is found on a google search that just might help you narrow up the general area....

Enumeration district descriptions for the landward section of Rothesay Parish (Includes North Bute), Parish # 558
1841 census.

ED #
Description
  1. So much of the Parish of Rothesay as comprehends the farms of Barone Park, Craigbirrach, Achemore, Woodend, Barmore, Ladehouse Quien, Scalpsie, Scalpsie Bay, Airdscalpsie Butts and Mechnoch.
  2. The rest of the Parish of Rothesay comprehending the farms of Little Kilmory, Meikle Kilmory, Kerryferns, Quogach, Ballycurrie, Stewarthall, Kilwhinlick, Miltoun, Breckach and Balanly
  3. So much of the Quoad Sacra Parish of North Bute, formerly part of the Parish of Rothesay comprehending the village of Port Bannatyne, Kames Castle, Cranslagmorrie, Wester Kames, Point house, Rulechedan, Gortans and Lenimolloch
  4. So much of the Quoad Sacra Parish of North Bute, also formerly part of the Parish of Rothesay comprehending the farms of Lintmill, Treehouse, Ardmalish, Stuck, Culnashambrag, Shalunt, Bullochreg, Rhubodach, Tawnie(?) Ballnahcoley, Glenmore, Achaveilig, Kilbride, Upper and Nether Ettrick, Ettrick Mill and Schoolhouse and East, West and Mid St. Colmac.
  5. So much of the said Quoad Sacra Parish of North Bute, also formerly part of the Parish of Rothesay comprehending the farms of Drumochloy, Kildavanan, Scarrel, Lenihal, Glecknabea, Lenihuline, Kilmichael and Kilmichael ferry.
  6. So much of the said Quoad Sacra Parish of North Bute, also formerly part of the Parish of Rothesay comprehending the manse of North Bute, cottages at the Slate Quarry, Edinmore, Edinbeg, Acholter, Cranslagloan, Cranslagvourity, Lergievrechtan, Leninteskine and Eskuechraggen.
  7. The rest of the said Quoad Sacra Parish of North Bute, also formerly part of the Parish of Rothesay comprehending the Island of Inchmarnock and the following farms, vis: Straad, Dunalunt, Ballycaul, Upper and Nether Ardroscadale, Achinterrie, Greenan and Relevoarkie.
Hope this helps!

Best wishes
Jean

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:35 pm

Wow Jean, you are amazing...I never thought to look there, since I got most of the info from the freeCEN site!

Well it clearly says that Scarrel was a farm, which makes sense as the Grahams were farmers. There is a big section about the farms at the Bute Sons and Daughters site, and one of Janet Johnson Graham's brothers is mentioned there (or I should say his son). But with the mention of the other farms you have provided, that site might give me some clues as to whereabouts it was. Kinda around Rothesay somewhere is a lot better than what I knew!

Thanks again for all your help, by the way. I have managed to trace that line back to 1756 would you believe, with about 75 new names all up...and most of it through YOU and freeCEN because Bute is so well covered there. I haven't used that site much until now, because I haven't found it useful for Ayr after 1873, Dunbarton or most of my Glasgow areas. So I have had a lot of fun the past few days!

Well, thanks again for your help!

Nina

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:59 pm

Hi again Nina

Yup....it was definiately a farm. I looked on multimap but no reference to it today but most of the other names in the ED are all found on or near the West Shore of North Bute. Maybe someone else can find a map with it pinpointed.
Here were the occupants in 1881....

Dwelling: Scarrel
Census Place: Bute North, Bute, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203564 GRO Ref Volume 557 EnumDist 3 Page 4
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Geo. THOMPSON M 46 M Westminster, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Journalist
Charlotte THOMPSON M 39 F Bath, England
Rel: Wife
Jas. HAMILTON U 22 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Visitor
Occ: Letter Carrier

Best wishes
Jean

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:17 pm

Fantastic...thanks Jean. Yes that ties in with what I found out yesterday. By 1881 the Grahams had left the farm, with the father having died in 1867. My Hugh Graham had gone to South Shields England, which is where my William Easton also ended up by 1901. I think Hugh might have taken his mother with him as her death is not recorded at SP.

I have this little scenario going on in my head about William meeting the niece by marriage Sarah Graham when she went home to Scotland somewhere before 1894, when they married. And then they moved back down to South Shileds to be with her family.

I have found out such a lot about her side, and yet she isn't even blood to me. William Easton was my great-great-great-grandfather's youngest brother...so remote at best. But I just love the hunt!

Nina

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi Nina,

Scarrel shows up on the 1890s parish map at http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400785 .

On that map, North Bute is the light blue coloured area in the lower centre of the map. On looking at the grid-lines crossing the parish, click on the dark line that is about halway up the parish. Click on it near to the west coast of the Isle of Bute. Keep clicking on it until the writing is of a size to read, and you should find Scarrel just up the hill from the coast road, below that grid-line.

Similarly, it can be found on the 1920s Ordnance Survey map at http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400699.

On the current OS map, at http://www.streetmap.co.uk there is still a building marked, but un-named, with no obvious sign of a road leading to it. At that website, search for Kildavanan to find it.

There is no sign of Scarrel in the 1990s Postcode Directory that I have. Searching by postcode on the Royal Mail website gives the neighbouring properties under PA20 0QX, but no sign of Scarrel.

From all that, I would suggest that the building (or remains of) may still be there at Scarrel, but no longer occupied.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

m

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:20 am

Wow Andrew, how utterly fantastic that you have found this location for me!!! Very exciting!

THANK YOU!

Nina

philip scarrold

Re: Scarrel, Bute.....

Post by philip scarrold » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:10 am

Hi,
My name is PHILIP SCARROLD and I came across this profile: https://www.geni.com/people/John-White/ ... 0834331539 on Geni while searching for ancestors. The manager of the webpage put me in touch with this blog.
I am trying to figure out what the "Scarrell or Scarrald" means on John White's page....is it a place name??? The page states about John White: "Birth: ABT 1669 in Of Scarrald Or Scarrell, Scotland. "
All I can assume is that it is a place name. My surname is Scarrold so I thought there might be a link. I would appreciate it if you would let me know.
The White's probably were born on the farm and maybe my family hail from there too???? who knows? Totally interesting and something to pursue. Many variations on my surname ranging from Scarrold, Scarold, Scarrell, Scarel, Scarrald, Skarrold, Scarrald etc. All I know about my family history was that my gt grandfather was born on The Wirral, opposite Liverpool in 1839 and then moved to Woolwich, London where my grandad was born in 1877.
Any help in trying to solve this puzzle would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Philip Scarrold.
Last edited by philip scarrold on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

philip scarrold

Post by philip scarrold » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:16 am

Apparently there is a Scarrell Shore on the west side of Bute near Ettrick Bay Tearoom. If you type Scarrell Shore into Google map it comes up with Ettrick Bay Tearoom.
https://canmore.org.uk/site/40326/bute-scarrel-4

philip scarrold

Post by philip scarrold » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:03 am

I found a Scarrel Gardens, Scarrell Rd, Scarrell Terrace, in Glasgow on Google map as well......maybe a family called Scarrell or Scarrald owned the farm on Bute in the nearly days.....