Ehhhh?..... ** birthday bumped post **

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu May 18, 2006 3:08 pm

SarahND wrote:Thanks, David! I was hoping you'd chime in with the correct reference ! :wink:

I'm planning a trip to Scotland 5 or 6 months from now and look forward to hearing for myself the distinction (or not) between Lallans and The Doric. When I was a student, that same professor had me transcribe several recordings he had made of conversations with people in Aberdeen :shock: It was quite a challenge for someone who had never heard the language/dialect before! But it intrigued me and as it turned out, Aberdeen is exactly where I need to go for genealogical research :D (although I didn't know at the time that I had ancestors who came from there)

Sarah
Hi Sarah

As a "Lallans" man from deepest Ayrshire, what intrigued me about 15 years ago was meeting people from the Moray Coast, and being perfectly able to understand a guid part of their supposedly distinctly quite separate Doric vocabulary :!:

Yes, there were some quite distinct words, but there were often relatively minor pronunciation differences that led to the same obvious root .......

Your professional opinion awaited with great interest :!:

David

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu May 18, 2006 4:13 pm

I would agree with that David1

There are dialect differences but the root vocabulary appears to be broadly the same.

My Lothian basic tongue enabled me to talk with local folks all over the North of Scotland.
Glasgow patter appears to have more Irish in it than the country places.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu May 18, 2006 4:45 pm

Well, if the purported differences only concern vocabulary, then I'm off the hook! All I'm supposed to know about is pronunciation :wink:

Sarah, heaving a sigh of relief

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu May 18, 2006 7:46 pm

SarahND wrote:Well, if the purported differences only concern vocabulary, then I'm off the hook! All I'm supposed to know about is pronunciation :wink:

Sarah, heaving a sigh of relief
Whit :?: , or if you prefer the NE..... Fit :!: , that's a' it needs fur tae be a professur ................

But does 'at mean you can dae a they fancy symbols and diacriticals, but?

David

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu May 18, 2006 8:13 pm

DavidWW wrote:
Sure can (but fortunately for you I can't in this font!) In fact, I've been at this so long that I sometimes visualize people's speech in phonetic transcription when I hear it :shock: And I often completely blank out on how something is supposed to be in conventional spelling-- aak! Time to retire!!

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu May 18, 2006 10:18 pm

SarahND wrote:
DavidWW wrote:
Sure can (but fortunately for you I can't in this font!) ...............
I'm well acquaint, ken, in terms of a few of the diacriticals (I'm fully fluent in Swedish), but long since gave up on the "fancy symbols" in which a professor in phonetics will be fluent !!
SarahND wrote:In fact, I've been at this so long that I sometimes visualize people's speech in phonetic transcription when I hear it :shock:
Wow :!:
SarahND wrote:And I often completely blank out on how something is supposed to be in conventional spelling-- aak! Time to retire!!
Aye weel !! ..................................

David

Jamboesque

Post by Jamboesque » Fri May 19, 2006 12:44 am

Loooks like I've missed an interesting discusion on pronunciations how ever I'll just toss in a wee classic I heard on Radio 2 a couple of years ago.

The presenter was referencing an address for a winner of a competition or something, he came from somewhere called 'Yoofall, West Lothian', :shock:

Took me a minute to figure that he was re-naming 'Uphall' and me a Broxburn lad too. :oops:
I'd like to be apathetic but I really can't be bothered.

Looking for blacksheep & not finding any with
Groats & Stevensons in Orkney, Hood's in Dundee/Angus, Mclaren's in Clackmannan and Jolly's in Kincardineshire. There may be more!

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Fri May 26, 2006 5:07 am

Hi folks

Betcha you thought you'd heard the last from me ehhh??? :lol: Och aye th' noo! See how smooth that just rolls off the tongue. :wink: I've been busy!!! Not only practising my ochs....and studying the bus routes of Edinburgh.....and shopping for cheap plane fare.....I've been busy helping put together a new announcement over in the General Discussion forum!

I learnt a new word too......Tombola! :wink:

Hope you all stop by and buy your tickets today. We'll be issuing numbers to all participants and then getting someones dog to pick the winners. We considered using one of the Webster felines but due to the concerns that they might be biased we plan on utilizing a neutral source! :wink:

Best wishes
Jean

rye470

Post by rye470 » Sun May 28, 2006 2:18 am

Jean,

When exactly are you going. I'm going in August and back early September. I could make up a list of words for you, carry a tape recorder and stop people in the street and get them to read out the list for you. :?:

I'm going to be in Renfrewshire (Paisley area), Lanarkshire (Glasgow), Midlothian (Edinburgh), Ayrshire (Dreghorn and Beith),Argyleshire (Oban) and Clackmannanshire (Alva). :D :D :D :D :D :D

That covers a few different accents. :lol:

Christine.

75 days and counting :wink:

<duplicate post deleted - LesleyB>
Fyfe,Binnie,Stewart,McEwan -Fife, Perthshire, Clackmannanshire.
McFarlane,Reid - Dunbartonshire.
Alexander,Dawson,Hamill,Kennedy,McCulloch - Donegal,Down, Armagh to Renfrewshire,Lanarkshire.

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sun May 28, 2006 2:28 am

Hi Christine

I think our planes might pass in the night!! I'm leaving Boston Sept 4 and returning on the 19th. I'm on a mission though to not only visit Scotland (whispers from side of mouth behind hand.... :wink: ) I'm doing a grand tour...everything from soup to nuts !! :lol: Paris London Edinburgh Glasgow and maybe even some fresh Ayr :D! I may have to start penning my memoirs after that. New Register House will be a little smaller once I leave with all that new research in hand!

Enjoy your holiday....it sounds like you have a real mission in mind too!! Perhaps we can compare notes in October!

Best wishes
Jean