Rashfield Farm

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi

I got the American details from Ancestry. I don't have a full subscription to the world stuff but could not resist looking for Peter. I think you can buy credits even if you don't subscribe to any version of Ancestry. I'm not sure where the American deaths hide but someone on the site is sure to know. If no-one answers this post try posting the details on the Americas forum and those with that knowledge may spot it and weigh in.

Thanks for the thanks. I just took a liking to Peter and co and am at the still off sick but recovering enough to be able to sit for a while and also to be bored senseless stage. The other entertainment on offer when my leg gets too sore to sit is, funnily enough, DVDs of a comedy series set in NY lent to me by my 30 something step-daughter. If I mention the title online I'll probably get booted off so you can guess that it's not Friends.

I liked the thought of your rellies ending up in the city which never sleeps rather than slumbering beneath the ground of my old home town. Having said that I have not yet found any of them in the 1930 census but have not searched too hard yet. I'm really struggling to find any of them on the 1930 census so there are a few possibilities; they all died, they came back to Scotland but if so where are their deaths; they moved on to Canada; they are indexed in some strange way.

While I was on the transatlantic stuff I found the sign up papers of my great-uncle for the Canadian Army in 1916. It was a great find and even included a description of him. I think I may also have found his disappearing big brother in NY as well though I can't be sure it's him. So looking for your McKechnies has led me to a few of my own people too.

Hope you soon find out more.

Anne
Last edited by AnneM on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:04 pm

BTW Tell me if I'm taking the fun out of this but they sailed from Glasgow on 18th March 1911 on board the SS Caledonia and young Donald was with them. I wonder what happened to him. It is definitely the Alloa McKechnies as the address of next of kin is given as Henry Thomson, brother in Alloa and the family is stated as coming from Alloa.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:41 pm

Hi Anne, an update of the little that I have since found, I had a look on the ships manifest and found the family, I asked my 2 aunts what if anything did they know about Peter or there father Donald's upbringing, one thinks she remembers her Gran ( Mary Flora ) saying that Peter died of TB and was buried in Dunoon, the other had heard that Peter had died when his son Donald was just 3 years of age and he was brought up by an uncle, till eventually the uncle emigrated to Western Canada, no year was mentioned though, have thought about what uncle would have brought Donald up, Peter had 1 brother, Archibald, though I have as yet been able to locate him after the 1871 census, though admittitly have not looked that hard yet, Mary Flora had a fairly large family and they all lived in South Uist, now I'm pretty sure it would have been known if my grandfather had been brought up on South Uist as he eventually married Marion MacPherson from Benbecula but no mention of this has ever been said, I know that when Donald and Marion were married in 1925 they were both living in Glasgow, Donald woked as a Mental Aslum Attendant whilst my gran was in service, will have to put a message on the Americas pages shortly, just trying to piece some things together, though looking at the names, dates and the 3 year gap between Peter's first marriage and second one matches up to what was said about him dying when Donald was 3, not sure what direction to look in now, I know there is plenty to look for, just dont think Scotland's People will have all the answers and I dont have Ancestry.
RESEARCHING MCEACHERN/MACKECHNIE AND VARIANTS-MULL,OBAN.MCKINNON-MULL, MACARTHUR-KILCHATTAN, MACKILLOP-KILMORE & KILBRIDE
MACPHERSON,MACPHEE,MACDONALD,MACMILLAN,MACINNES, MACAULAY,WILSON,ALL BENBECULA .
MACPHERSON, MACPHEE AND CAMPBELL - SOUTH UIST.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Hi

See them in the 1871 census along with further up the page Mum's parents and a big sister for Archibald called Mary. Thought I'd found him in 1881 with Donald McDougall and his wife Mary stated to be brother in law but I can't find a McDougall McKechnie or variants marriage. So far am drawing a blank on tracing Archibald after that but you would think that that's where young Donald should be in 1901.

Anne
Anne

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Hi Anne, if thats the 1871 census off S.P. you have just stumbled upon another family mystery in my tree, the Mary that you see as living with Peter and Janet McKillop is not Archibalds sister, Archibalds sisters were Janet and Flora, Mary on the 1861 census is named as Mary McColl, I think that possibly Donald and his wife maybe adopted Mary or at least let Mary carry the name McKechnie, Donalds wife Mary had a sister named Margaret McKillop who married a seaman named McColl ( sorry, first name escapes me at the moment, I'm trying to remember this off the top off my head ), in the 1861 census Margaret is found in the report for Lanarkshire visiting her sister Flora Davies ( m.s. McKillop ) with her is a 1 year old Jessie McColl, whilst Mary is listed as a 1 year old grand-daughter living with Peter and Janet McKillop and Donald and Mary McKechnie, also living with them is Rachel Stirling, Marys child from her first marriage, there is another strange thing, I have spoken with a descendant of Mary McKillop, on Ancestry, young Mary McColl's parents are listed as Donald and Mary McKechnie, I have not been able to find a registry for young Mary, as yet, I have previously asked a question about Mary and possible adoption either on here or Rootschat, was told there was no official adoption procedures or registering of adopted children then, sometimes think that if I won the lottery I would pay to try to find out the answers to the mystery's but its too much fun doing it this way with the help of your good self and others on this site and others.
RESEARCHING MCEACHERN/MACKECHNIE AND VARIANTS-MULL,OBAN.MCKINNON-MULL, MACARTHUR-KILCHATTAN, MACKILLOP-KILMORE & KILBRIDE
MACPHERSON,MACPHEE,MACDONALD,MACMILLAN,MACINNES, MACAULAY,WILSON,ALL BENBECULA .

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:43 pm

Aha. In that case it is your Archie in 1881 because there is a McDougall/Mary McColl marriage which I would have a look at if I were you. It might just move your Mary mystery on a little, or it might not.

Anne
Anne

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:13 am

Thanks again Anne, will look into this possible link today and let you know what happens.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:45 pm

OK. Here's an outside chance for your Mary Flora in 1901.

In Bath Street, Glasgow in the house of a doctor George Edington there is a servant

Mary Flora McEachine born South Uist. It states that she is single and aged 24 but I can't find a corresponding birth in S Uist at the time. Obviously your MF would be 34 rather than 24 and is married rather than single but the age could have been misheard and she could have lied about her marital status to get a job.

I agree it's a long shot but just possible.

Revised my view on this and think it is unlikely to be her. Age just too way off and there are quite a few McEachen/McKechnies in South Uist.

Anne
Anne

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:10 am

Hi Anne, had a look at the McDougall/McColl link, its definately the Mary I'm looking for, but as always it poses more questions than answers, it gives her mothers name as Mary, I know it was Margaret who married William McColl, though if Mary had been left as a baby with them she may have always thought of Mary as her mother and never told about her real mother, one of the witnesses on the cert is Rebekah McKillop, her name that I know her by is Rebekah Stirling, when did she change her name, in 1878 she is still a Stirling, she is present at the death of Peter McKillop, her Grandfather, its driving me around the bend and S.P. is costing me a small fortune, had a look for Peters death cert on SP again, no luck, so im very inclined to go with the second marriage scenario, though will trawl through the hospital records just to put my mind at ease, again, many thanks for your help Anne and to anyone else who has helped now and in the future.

Christrina

Post by Christrina » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:19 am

Hi Don and Anne,

I just had to jump in on this.... Don, Margaret McKillop married Daniel McColl on 5 Oct 1857. Not William McColl, perhaps he was a brother or relation of Daniel somehow.

Mary McKillop that we know of married William Stirling 1 Sep 1850 had at least one child Rebekah Stirling born 28 Aug 1851 she was still in the name Stirling at the time of half sister's marriage in 1876 and grandfather Peter McKillop's death on 18 Jul 1878, this is the last trace we have of Rebekah. Not sure if there was any other children to this marriage? or if William Stirling died? :?:

Mary McKillop then had a child Mary McColl with William McColl about 1858, unsure if William and Mary married. Mary McColl married Donald McDougall on 26 Dec 1876 they had at least 1 child being Alexander McDougall also on the 1881 census. Looked at the 1891 census and I believe Donald McDougall is now married to a Isabella, what makes me think this is that Peter McEachern, Mary's younger brother is also in the house along with Alexander. ( I may be wrong but it looks right to me) if so what happened to Mary? :?: I couldn't find a death for her.

Mary McKillop then married Donald McEachern on the 26 Jul 1860 and had another 4 children.

Seems like our Mary McKillop was a busy lady in her time... :) So yes a lot more unanswered question's Don, But Hey ya have done awesomeeeee....

Christine (from Aussie)