GWYNNE family

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: GWYNNE family

Post by AndrewP » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:55 am

Hi Scott,

I believe the one I gave a few days back should be your James of c1858.

Births:
JAMES QUIN, to JAMES QUIN and BESSIE DALE, 04-Jan-1856

All the best,

AndrewP

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:07 am

That's where census records help - they give the birthplace of each person.
In Scotland to an area, but just the country otherwise. [but the information is as always just as good as the person supplying it]

Useful for tracking down, siblings and the movements of the family if the children are all born different places.

What is his mother's name that he gave on his marriage certificate?
I would take that as pretty conclusive evidence, as there's a death for an Elizabeth Gywnne or Dale to be found in Lanarkshire 1908.
Wilma

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:58 pm

AndrewP wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:03 pm
Going back to your other question in your first post - seeking the death info for James Gwynne and Janet Gwynne (Ms. Carter).

In the other post, Brian gives 1915 for the death of James Gwynne. On ScotlandsPeople, that should be the one that shows as age 58 in New Monkland.

Janet Gwynne, other name Carter comes up as Janet Wilkie Gwynne or Carter, died 1947, aged 98 in Old Monkland.

A birth can be found for Janet Wilkie Carter in 1860 in Bathgate.

Here's hoping these are your people.

AndrewP
Hello Scott [and everyone else!]

It's nice to meet another relation! I think you are my 3rd cousin, once removed - however, the easier explanation is that your grandfather James Gwynne [d. 1970] was the cousin of my great grandmother, Agnes Hunter, who was herself the daughter of Peter Hunter and Agnes Gwynne [Agnes being the daughter of James Gwynne and Bessie Dale].

James and Bessie consistently gave their birthplace on Census records as being Ireland. I have a record their marriage on 1st Aug 1849 in New Monkland [might be banns, I'll need to check] and all of their children appear on census records as having been born in Lanarkshire - usually New Monkland, but two in Shotts and one son, Alexander, in Auchinleck in Ayrshire in 1858 when some of the workers from New Monkland were decanted there as the same company own both mines.

James Gwynne died on 18th Dec 1878 at 17 Greengairs Rows, New Monkland aged 53, and Bessie Dale on 28th Apr 1908 at Tinto View, Dalserf, aged 82.

In terms of Janet Wilkie GRANT, wife of James Gwynne [c1857 - 1915], she was born on 14th Apr 1860 at Mount Pleasant, Armadale, which was then in the parish of Bathgate. Her parents were Robert Grant, Iron Miner [d. before 1877] and Janet Moodie.

Janet Wilkie Grant died on 22nd Dec 1947 at 146 Budhill Road, Springboig, Glasgow, aged 87, and the informant was her son Joseph Gwynne.

James Gwynne died on 31 May 1915 at Middle Row, Greengairs, due to chronic bronchitis and cardiac disease. As AndrewP says, he was 58 years old.

I have information on three of James and Janet's other children, Janet, Margaret and Joseph. If you would like this, please send me a message.

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:51 pm

Hello again,

I've just realised that you said that you were also looking for the marriage details of James Gwynne and Janet Wilkie Grant.

They were married on 25th Oct 1877 at Greengairs in the parish of New Monkland. They were married by the Revd. Alexander L. Houstoun, the Minister of the Free Church, and the witnesses were John Grant and Mary Rushford.

At the time of their marriage, James and Janet were both living in Greengairs. He was a miner, and Janet was a Pithead Worker.

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian