How to Pronounce Rose.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri May 22, 2009 5:02 am

I’m not sure how this fits geographically but here’s some more news that may be him.

The Aberdeen Journal, Wednesday, January 4, 1865
Article about a ploughing match at Aboyne on 30th December, on the farm of Tillybreen, belonging to Mr. Wm. Esson. For ploughing, Seton Porter, Huntly Arms, came 3rd. He also took the prize for the best groomed horses.

Alan

MacThistle

Post by MacThistle » Fri May 22, 2009 10:35 am

I am just amazed, perplexed and a tad annoyed - so many times I have searched for all these people via FreeCen and other sites using the names known to me, variations etc, searched for the ladys under both married and maiden names and have come up with very little or zilch :roll:

I have just tryed a search for Seaton yet again in FreeCen and other than the one with him aged 2yrs and 14ys of age, I kept getting the "sorry no results found" What am I doing wrong do you think? And no Nelmit I do not have Seaton in 1871 :? He was a no show. Mind you alot of the time I use the 'search all counties' or Aberdeenshire as it seems to be here he mostly is!

Thank you all again for your wonderful help and the information. Its just awesome.

Cheers.....Brigitte

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri May 22, 2009 11:10 am

Now you know where they are from the Freecen results, you can get the official images from the Scotlands People site [link at the top of the page]

It looks as if he's on SP for both 1861 & 1871, Aberdeenshire then Angus.

With Freecen it can be a hit or a miss , as it's an ongoing project and different areas are slowwly getting put online only 1841 & 51 are on for Aberdeenshire as yet.

I tend to keep the search wide at the start and gradually introduce different parameters if the results are too large.
Wilma

MacThistle

Post by MacThistle » Fri May 22, 2009 11:25 am

Thanks Wilma, am slowly learning to be a bit more paitent and yes sort of realised that FreeCen was a wee bit slow, but its produced some good results also.

By the way, how do I put the names of people or places that I am researching on my forum posts? Have seen quite a few.

Cheers Brigitte

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri May 22, 2009 11:40 am

MacThistle wrote: Thanks Wilma, am slowly learning to be a bit more paitent and yes sort of realised that FreeCen was a wee bit slow, but its produced some good results also.

Scotlands People has all the census returns on it 1841 - 1901 so searching there will find them if they are there to be found, along with the Birth, deaths and marriages.

MacThistle wrote:By the way, how do I put the names of people or places that I am researching on my forum posts? Have seen quite a few.

Cheers Brigitte

Go to your profile and add whatever you like to your 'signature'
Wilma

MacThistle

Post by MacThistle » Fri May 22, 2009 11:58 am

When I get it, my credit card will be getting a thrashing but as that is the only thing it is going to be used for.....so be it :- [scotland-flag]

Cheers....Brigitte

MacThistle

Post by MacThistle » Fri May 22, 2009 12:07 pm

The area they were living in then is around the OldMeldrum/Ellon Area of Aberdeenshire - perhaps this was the farm? http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1172360
Indeed I think that may well be it!! Thank you will look into it further.

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Fri May 22, 2009 3:17 pm

MacThistle wrote:By the way, how do I put the names of people or places that I am researching on my forum posts? Have seen quite a few.
Hi MacThistle:

You can add those places/names by editing your Profile. Click on the blue Profile button in the page header.

Scroll down until you see the caption Signature: along the left side of the page. Next to it is a white box in which you can add your names/places/quotes, etc. (There is a limit of 255 characters that will show on screen.) Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Submit. As you solve your mysteries you are able to go back in and change it, as necessary.

In the page header, you will also find a button TS PowerPoint Presentation , which you may find helpful in finding your way around the board.

All the best,
Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Rogie

Rose Porter

Post by Rogie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:33 pm

Have you thought that the first name might not be Rose but Ross? A slovenly written 's' at the end of his name could just look like an 'e'

MacThistle

Post by MacThistle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:32 am

Hello Rogie

His name is most definitly Rose, no worries there at all, its on all the certificates I have for him and also his headstone, and this was erected by his wife. It was just the pronounciation of it that interested me. Makes finding him alot of fun believe me! Funnily or strangely enough, the name Rose is not repeated anywhere in the family tree before or after wards! Me thinks it could come from the clan naming whats-it!! But so far no joy in finding a connection. :roll:
PORTER(Aberdeen/Balclutha NZ), WILKIE, WATT, SIMPSON, SANGSTER, TOCHER/TUCKER (Aberdeen/Ellon/Tarves/Udny area so far!)