GALT Elizabeth Colmonell

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

lennox1950

GALT Elizabeth Colmonell

Post by lennox1950 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:23 pm

I have been researching my family tree for a number of years and presently trying to compile it into a readable and functional account.
On my fathers side his ancestors lived in and around Colmonell Ayrshire from at least 1700 through to 1900.
One anomaly I am trying to clarify is one of my paternal grand mothers.
I believe she was born around 1826 in Colmonell, Her Maiden surname was Elisabeth GALT, (Parents David GALT, (Farmer) and Elisabeth GALT, (M/S SHEARER)
Elisabeth married my paternal grand father (3rd Generation)
John McMurray, they had a son also called John McMurray Born 1850 - died 1886)
My 3rd Generation Grand Father remarried in 1859 to a Margaret Templeton.
I have looked up various records, through Scotlands People and other Genealogy search sites. and not been able to establish or find any records of the following regarding Elisabeth McMurray/ (Galt): -
a. Date of Birth
b. Date of Marriage.
c. Date she died.
On the death certificate of their son John it shows her as the mother and that they were married.
From the 1841 Census it shows her living with her father, (David), mother (Elizabeth) aged 15 years, along with other siblings.
1851 Census Married and living with John McMurray at Laigh Dangart Colmonell.
The OPR's Volume number is 1041335.
Her Maiden name and Christian names appear in following generations of my ancestors.
Is anyone able to assist any of the above information which I have been unable to locate.
Family names within my Family Tree Fathers side: - McMurray,Hannah, Ramsey, Galt McMicken, (Various spellings), McKeller, Templeton, Kerr.
Mothers side: - McCormick, Shaw, Irvine, Lennox, McAllister

regards.
Thankyou in anticipation.

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: GALT Elizabeth Colmonell

Post by paddyscar » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi Lennox, and a warm welcome to TalkingScot \:D/

Have you considered this Elisabeth as the wife of John McMurray?

Scotland Census, 1841 (from https://familysearch.org/search)

Name: Elisabeth Galt
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1841
Birthplace: Scotland
Parish: East Kilbride
County: Lanarkshire
Birth Year (Estimated): 1821
GS Film number: 1042748

In Census years, directions to the census takers sometimes specified that ages were to be rounded-up or down. Also, many people didn't know exactly the year they were born; others shaved a few years off so dob are not always exact.

Also, in naming Elisabeth's parents - other than the 1841 census, do you have a definite link to David Galt and Elisabeth Shearer?

Not much help I'm afraid, but trying to establish what identifies this Elisabeth Galt as John McMurray's wife.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:18 pm

I see there is a John McMurray with his grandfather, David Galt,(who I see lived till he was 100 :D ) in 1871 at Colmonnel. This is the same family that has an Elizabeth Galt with them in 1841 so I think we can say she is the correct Elizabeth Galt.

Like you I can find no records of birth, marriage or death for Elizabeth. It looks as though she probably died between 1851 and 1855 so no surprises about not finding a death record.

Have you looked at John McMurray senior's marriage entry to Margaret Templeton to see where he was married? I can only think the Galt family were not members of the established church as there doesn't appear to be baptism records for any of them (although I see Agnes's daughter Mary Tait is indexed).

Hopefully others will come up with something but for the moment that's all I can suggest apart from name variations.

Regards,
Annette

lennox1950

Post by lennox1950 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:03 pm

Thank you both for your responses. You are correct, John (Snr) married Margaret Templeton on 8th Feb 1859 @ Craig, they had 4 children Lillias, Thomas, Jane and James, ( died young).
From the census 1851 Shows John McMurray Head farmer 16 acres, Elizabeth Galt wife, John McMurray son aged 1 yr. and John Hunter servant 14 yrs.
Census 1861 John McMurray Head farmer 120 acres, Margaret Templeton wife, John McMurray son 11 yrs.Bothes census return were for Laigh Dangart Colmonell.
John (Senior's) brother James McMurray and his wife Jannet Brown and their children Jannet, Christina, Robert and James are shown on the 1851 Census returns for the same address.
It is correct the 1871 census for David Galt shows John McMurray at this time registered as Grandson.
So I am sure you are as entitled as I am.
Thanks for the input at least I'm not barking up the wrong tree.

lennox1950

Post by lennox1950 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:12 pm

In addition to my previous correspondence, in the 1851 Census for Colmonell
Wheel (House or property)
David Galt Head farmer,aged 68 yrs
Elizabeth Galt Farmers wife
Andrew farmers son aged 30 yrs
Margaret Galt farmers daughter aged 21yrs
Eliza Galt farmers daughter aged 21yrs ( twins????)
Sarah Galt farmers daughter aged 18yrs
John Mcrea grandson aged 21yrs.?.
Mary Tate grand daughter aged 8yrs.
It has confused me again. Are they twins? Did they have another daughter? Age would be similar?
Any thoughts!!

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:24 pm

In my opinion they were either twins .............or stepsisters. The Eliza in 1851 appears to be Isabella in other census records.

I wonder if either or both parents had been married before.

Regards,
Annette

lennox1950

Post by lennox1950 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:36 pm

I have been researching Scotland's People again, for the Galt family, I think as previously mentioned they may not have been part of the established church, From David' s death certificate his parents were John Galt and Jane Gordon, but trying to find birth records for Elizabeth, Andrew, Sarah is proving difficult, likewise his wedding to Elizabeth Shearer ? But will resolve it!
So I can not be certain David Galt was previously married, I looked at birth records for David but came up with another conundrum, could not find him with Galt & Gordon parents, in or about 1773, but found John GALT and Jane Wright having a boy in the year 1773.
I am thinking I need to walk away them come back from another angle, HELP!!!!

Chrisd2415

Post by Chrisd2415 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:22 pm

I've just discovered this site and have found your post now over 7 years old. Did you find the information you were looking for? You mentioned Mary Tait in your post - she was my great grandmother - her mother was David Galt's daughter Agnes Galt.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:34 am

Hello Chrisd2415 and a warm [TS_welcome]

The original poster has not been on the forum since the last post :( but fingers crossed they will receive an email alerting them to your post and the fact that they have a "new" cousin!

Best wishes,

Sarah