Alexander Joss

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Wmarj

Alexander Joss

Post by Wmarj » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 am

Hello,
I am researching Alexander Joss who married Agnes Thomson on 5 Dec 1804 in Old Meldrum, Aberdeenshire (SP). There are 4 children I believe are theirs:-

John bapt 3 Jul 1803 - Old Meldrum
Alexander bapt 6 Dec 1805 - "
James bapt 14 Mar 1810 - "
William bapt 2 Aug 1814 - "

James married Marjory Taylor 27 Jul 1852 in Old Machar (SP). On his DC 22 Feb 1863 (SP) it states the above are his parents.James is buried in St. Machar Churchyard with Marjory's parents.

I would appreciate any help offered to find out who Alexander Joss Snr ( a farmer) and Agnes Thomson's parents were. I think Alex and Agnes were born about 1780 and maybe Agnes' parents were Adam Thomson b. abt 1755 and Elizabeth Pope but I could be wrong.

There are so many Joss names in Old Meldrum and Thomson is common as well.

I am hoping someone out there may recoginze this family as I am really stuck.

Thank you so much.

WilmaM

Re: Alexander Joss

Post by WilmaM » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:35 pm

I would say you've done rather well to have the information that you do have.

Was that James' 2nd marriage? He seems a little old for a first one.
All of his wife's' names should be on his DC [ if they were known to the informant]

The OPRecords only give the father's names which makes it hard to pin children down.

Looking at the census records may help - use Freecen [ https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl ] and see if you can spot any of them.
as you say it's a rather common name in those parts!. Look in the parishes round about too, as folks did move around and the parishes are quite close.

Alex & Agnes are likely of an age where they didn't make it to the 1841 census never mind the 1855 for Statutory records.
Sometimes though Gravestones can help,
The Aberdeen Family History Society have an searchable index : http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/databank/miindex/miindex.php
Wilma

Wmarj

Post by Wmarj » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:20 pm

Hi Wilma,

I do apologise for the delay in answering - the internet has been sketchy due to the NSW fires in Oz.

The marriage record for James and Marjory is an OPR one and doesn't say if bachelor or spinster. The witnesses were William Joss - his brother I assume and George Taylor - Marjory's brother. I'll attach it along with his DC record. It was Marjory Taylor's 1st marriage - parents John Taylor b. abt 1791 and Jean/Jane Walker b. abt 1791 - both of Aberdeenshire ( more brick walls).

John Taylor is my 2 x Gt Grandma's father and was a spirit dealer/grocer at 2 Park Rd, Aberdeen.
I used to belong to anesfhs but they couldn't help me with any of my Joss/Taylor/Walker families etc. I will try the link you sent me though.
James Joss DC.JPG
Alexander Joss-Agnes MC.JPG
James Joss BC.JPG
I couldn't attach James' MC so will do in another reply.

Marj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wmarj

Post by Wmarj » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:25 pm

Hi Wilma,

Attached James' MC.
Marj
James Joss MC.JPG[/attachment ][attachment=0]James Joss MC 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.