GWYNNE family

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

ScottJG

GWYNNE family

Post by ScottJG » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:29 am

Hello All

I am new to this site and am hoping that some experienced genealogy researchers can help me.
I am a first generation Kiwi and am trying to trace my Scottish roots. I have been somewhat successful using ScotlandsPeople as a site to begin my research but seem to have come to a dead end.
My father - Robert Scullion Gwynne was born in Glasgow, Scotland 13 April, 1923. His father, James GWYNNE was born in Glasgow, Scotland 11 April 1896 and died 1 June 1970.
Records on ScotlandsPeople suggest that James Gwynne's parents were James GWYNNE and Janet GWYNNE (MS Grant).
I have not been able to trace records of birth, marriage and death of James and Janet.
Gwynne is said to be a Welsh name and there is a suggestion that the Gwynne's went from Wales to Ireland and then to Scotland.

Can anyone help this frustrated beginner.

Regards
Scott

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: GWYNNE family

Post by AndrewP » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:44 am

Hi Scott,

A bit of leeway with the spelling produces the marriage of JAMES GWYNN and JANET GRANT in 1877 in New Monkland (landward) in Lanarkshire. Hopefully a look at that marriage certificate will take you back another generation with leads to take you further back. Does that date and place match with what was given on the 1896 birth certificate? New Monkland will often be listed as Airdrie - the main town in the parish. As it is the landward part of the parish, one of the villages in the parish may be named.

If you look at the censuses beware of surname spellings and 'pet' names for first name - James could be James, Jim, Jimmy or Jas. Janet can also be Janette, Jessie or Jinty. There could be other variations beyond those.

All the best,

AndrewP

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:20 am

Hi Scott [TS_welcome]

with a fairly uncommon name it can be easy [not too many to choose from] or hard [ spelling can be all over the place!] to search for them.

I used Gwyn* to search and came up with your father's birth in Shettleston, and a matching Valuation Roll for a James Gwynn in 1925 of HOUSE 146 BUDHILL AVENUE BUDHILL SHETTLESTON.
Shettleston is in modern Glasgow, but was officially Lanarkshire then. Looking a a good map can help try here:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=5 ... yers=1&b=1
for some good old/Modern comparison maps

There seems to be Gwynne, Gwyne, Gwynn, Gwyn and even a Gwynae as surname variations - so keep an open mind.

Having a look at census records will give you birth places too which will help back-up or refute the Wales/Ireland theory.

Happy Hunting, and don't hesitate to ask if you need more help.
Wilma

ScottJG

Post by ScottJG » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:06 am

Thank you Wilma and Andrew for your replies to my post.

Wilma I learned from your post how to use asterisks when searching names in ScotlandsPeople. Thankyou for that.

Andrew, Your information confirms that my research is on the right track. I have the record of the marriage of James GWYNN and Janet GRANT and have been able to confirm that they are my Great,great grandparents. I have found James Gwynne death certificate (d. 31 May 1915, aged 58yrs) but for the life of me cannot find any registration of his birth despite using all sorts of spelling for the Gwynne name. Are you able to suggest where I look next?

Regards
Scott

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:31 am

Hi Scott,

In the marriage certificate of 1877 for JAMES GWYNN and JANET GRANT, were James' parents JAMES GWYNN and ELIZABETH DALE?

If yes, their youngest children that show up on their 1861 census entry in New Monkland: JAMES QUIN (age 5, born Airdrie) and ROBERT QUIN (age 1, born Airdrie) children of JAMES QUIN (age 35, born Ireland) and BESSIE QUIN (age 32, born Ireland), with older children WILLIAM (age 11), JOHN (age 9) , ELIZA (age 7) and AGNES (age 7) [older children born in other parishes of Lanarkshire].

Births:
JAMES QUIN, to JAMES QUIN and BESSIE DALE, 04-Jan-1856
ROBERT ALEXANDER GWINN, to JAMES GWINN and ELIZABETH DALE, 12-Mar-1860

In the 1871 census in New Monkland, this looks like them:
JAMES GWYNNE (46), Elizabeth (42), John (18), James (14), Robert (11), Martha (8), Mary (6), Joseph (4) and Sarah (2)

(married in 1877)

In the 1881 census in New Monkland:
JAMES GWYNN (24), Janet (21) and Jane Grant (6) sister-in-law

See how that lot fits in with your information. Could be good; could be another family altogether.

All the best,

AndrewP

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:39 am

I was surprised to find when looking at the ScotlandsPeople index that I had looked at this family before. It was for a question here on TalkingScot in 2007. Another of our members was looking at this same family.

See the following topic
http://www.talkingscot.com/forum/viewto ... hilit=quin

All the best,

AndrewP

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:04 am

It's looks as if Andrew has unwittingly demolished your brick wall ](*,) - 15 years ago, with some help from Anne H, and our dear friend Russell. =D>
The original poster of 'Going on a Gwynne Hunt' Rockford/Brian still visits TS frequently so you may have stumbled across a living relative too.

I'd had a quick look on Find My Past yesterday too, and much of the info on the other thread matches the censuses I'd found there.

Lots of information for you to sort through Scott :D
Wilma

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:47 pm

Funeral Notice for James Gwynne, died 1970.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=8 ... 1%2C274410

Alan

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:03 pm

Going back to your other question in your first post - seeking the death info for James Gwynne and Janet Gwynne (Ms. Carter).

In the other post, Brian gives 1915 for the death of James Gwynne. On ScotlandsPeople, that should be the one that shows as age 58 in New Monkland.

Janet Gwynne, other name Carter comes up as Janet Wilkie Gwynne or Carter, died 1947, aged 98 in Old Monkland.

A birth can be found for Janet Wilkie Carter in 1860 in Bathgate.

Here's hoping these are your people.

AndrewP

ScottJG

Post by ScottJG » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:41 am

Hi Andrew

Dealing with your first reply of 7 April. I think JAMES parents were JAMES GWYNN & ELIZABETH DALE but I am unable to confirm that as I cannot locate a birth record for JAMES (around 1858). I have found however a death registration for JAMES in 1915 with an age 0f 58( birth 1857?) Am wondering if this is where an Irish birth may kick in!!??

Re the children etc. ... am still working my way through the info you have provided.

Thanks
Scott