McDade.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

greeneyedlady731

McDade.....

Post by greeneyedlady731 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:38 pm

Hi,
My name is Debbie and I am trying to get some of my family history. Unfortunately I am unable to ask my gram as she has passed away. Her mom, my great grandmother, was born in Glasgow around 1860 to 1862. Her fathers name was Daniel McDade and her moms name was Mary McMahon. If anybody can find information for me or where I can get information please let me know. I know about ancestry.com but you have to pay for that. Thank you for your help.

Debbie

DavidWW

Re: McDade

Post by DavidWW » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:53 pm

greeneyedlady731 wrote:Hi,
My name is Debbie and I am trying to get some of my family history. Unfortunately I am unable to ask my gram as she has passed away. Her mom, my great grandmother, was born in Glasgow around 1860 to 1862. Her fathers name was Daniel McDade and her moms name was Mary McMahon. If anybody can find information for me or where I can get information please let me know. I know about ancestry.com but you have to pay for that. Thank you for your help.

Debbie
Debbie

IGI gives: (for free!)

Danjel Mcdade, Mother: Mary Mcmahon
International Genealogical Index / British Isles

JOHN MCDADE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: 24 NOV 1858 Neilston, Renfrew, Scotland

AGNES MCDADE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 28 JUL 1861 Neilston, Renfrew, Scotland

FRANCIS MCDADE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: 28 OCT 1863 Neilston, Renfrew, Scotland

Is it Agnes ?

Davie
Last edited by DavidWW on Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:56 pm

You beat me Davie.
HK

greeneyedlady731

McDade

Post by greeneyedlady731 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:57 am

Davie,
Thanks so much for the info. Iam not sure which is correct now. On family search they give the childrens names as joseph b1855 in ireland,mary(which is my g grandma's name)b1866 in glasgow and Ann b1869 in johnstone scotland and that person said that was the only daniel and mary that came up in the 1881 scotland census. Now I am confused! I guess there could be children not living at home or just not at home at the time the census was taken. Well I guess I have to keep searching.

Thank you again,
Debbie:)

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:24 am

Don't know who gave you the 1881 census information but there were at least four lots of Daniel and Mary McDades around at the same time:

Daniel and Mary (probably) Sweeney:

Dwelling: 40 Graham St
Census Place: Abbey, Renfrew, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203566 GRO Ref Volume 559-3 EnumDist 10 Page 8
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Danl. MC DADE M 57 M Ireland
Rel: Head
Occ: Thread Heckler
Mary MC DADE M 44 F Ireland
Rel: Wife
Occ: Thread Heckler Wife
Joseph MC DADE U 26 M Ireland
Rel: Son
Occ: Thread Heckler
Mary MC DADE U 15 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Occ: Mill Dover Flax
Ann MC DADE U 12 F Johnstone, Renfrew, Scotland
Occ: Scholar
Eliz Wilson MC DADE U 17 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Boarder
Occ: Mill Worker Flax

Daniel and Mary Caldwell:

Dwelling:
Census Place: Cathcart, Renfrew, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203567 GRO Ref Volume 560 EnumDist 3 Page 31
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Daniel MC DADE M 29 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Coal Miner
Mary MC DADE M 25 F Thornliebank, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Daniel MC DADE 7 M Cathcart, Renfrew, Scotland
Annie MC DADE 4 F Dumbarton, Dunbarton, Scotland
Samuel MC DADE 2 M Cathcart, Renfrew, Scotland
Jean MC DADE 3 m F Cathcart, Renfrew, Scotland
Catherine MC DADE U 18 F Duntocher, Dunbarton, Scotland
Rel: Cousin
Occ: Dye Work Worker

And a Daniel and Mary Maguire (this Daniel died in 1881) and Daniel and Mary McMahon who I can't find on the census at present.

I notice you use "Mom" instead of the British "Mum" is there a possibility that the family had already left Scotland by 1881?
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:07 am

Hi Debbie,

As Andy mentions, your family left Scotland? - did they come to the USA?

May i ask how you know that Daniel McDADE & Mary McMAHON are your G-Gmother Mary's parents?
Are they taken from her MC and DC? and her age on them (together with census ages) make for her birth around 1860/1862?
--
An outside chance for Daniel if he was in America - he is married, but there is no family with him.

1880 Census Place Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Family History Library Film 1255188
NA Film Number T9-1188
Page Number 331C
Name, Relation, Marital Status, Gender, Race, Age, Birthplace, Occupation, Father's Birthplace, Mother's Birthplace.

Daniel MCDADE, Self, M, Male, W, 40, IRE, Laborer, IRE, IRE.
--
Andy was thinking maybe family in America by 1881? Could Daniel have gone over first, then Mary & children later?
Mary missing from the 1880 American census because she was still in Scotland, but had left before the 1881 UK census was taken? So in effect falling into the gap and not recorded on either census.
But the snag with the above Daniel (if his age is correct) is that he's a wee bit young to be married in 1853.

DANIEL MCDADE
MARY MCMAHAN
Marriage: 29 MAY 1853, Mearns, Renfrew, Scotland

But there is no Mary for the above couple - Davie found daur Agnes of about the right age. Did Agnes changed her name to Mary?
Unless there was an unrecorded Mary born abt 1854, but this would make her a good bit older.

Jack

greeneyedlady731

McDade

Post by greeneyedlady731 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:33 pm

Hi Jack,
My grams obituary states her parents as John Parker and Mary Mcdade-Parker. It states the Mary was born in Glasgow Scotland. She lived to be 92 years old she died when my dad was 14-15 yrs old which would have been in 1957-1958..which makes her birth in 1865-1866. My dad was told by his mom that Mary Mcdade-Parkers parents were Daniel Mcdade and Mary McMahon. I know that Mary came over here, when I don't know. I do not believe that Daniel and Mary McDade came over to the states. But still am unsure. Thank you for your help.

Debbie

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:21 am

No sign of a John Parker Mary McDade marriage in Scotland so the information may be on your side of the Pond.

The 1930 US census has two Scottish Mary Parkers, one born 1868ish widowed living in Monmouth, New Jersey, she was a nurse. However her son is David Lorimer, single, aged 45 and he was born in New York the father in "New Jersey" and the mother in Scotland.

The other was single born about 1889 and was living in Lainsborough Ma.

I can't see any likely Mary McDade/Parker/Lorimer in 1920 or 1910

Since your father was born about 1944 his mother would possibly still have been at home in 1930. If you could post some locations, names of your father's uncles and aunts I may be able to track them down for you. I'm working in the dark a bit since I only have two names and a supposed age to work on ...... America is a big place.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

greeneyedlady731

McDade

Post by greeneyedlady731 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:33 pm

Hi Andy,
My grams obituary states her parents as John Parker and Mary Mcdade-Parker. It states the Mary was born in Glasgow Scotland. She lived in Massachusetts and lived to be 92 years old she died when my dad was 14-15 yrs old which would have been in 1957-1958..which makes her birth in 1865-1866. My dad was told by his mom that Mary Mcdade-Parkers parents were Daniel Mcdade and Mary McMahon. I know that Mary their daughter(my great grandma) came over here, when I don't know. I do not believe that Daniel and Mary McDade came over to the states. But still am unsure. Thank you for your help. Oh and I do know that Mary and Daniel were from Ireland.

Debbie

greeneyedlady731

Mcdade

Post by greeneyedlady731 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:38 pm

Oh and my grandmother Matilda Parker-Leach(daughter of Mary Parker-Mcdade) had 2 siblings my aunt Mary who lived in Worcester Ma and my uncle George Parker also from Mass.. both are now deceased.

Thank you