McDade.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:26 am

Hats off to Mary and Bob I was a wee bit more caught up in the American side of things.

Still need the marriage cert for parents but we're getting there.

P.S. I was just flexing my muscles a bit on American stuff. (Bob, how did I do?)
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

BobG

American stuff

Post by BobG » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:35 am

Andy,

As they would say here in Bahstan, you did “wicked good”. Getting to know your way around the US census quite well that’s for sure. We'll have to give you an honorary citizenship soon. This was a great example of what the combined effort of our members can do. Talking Scot comes through again.

BobG
Researching Grigor/Roy/Symon in Morayshire & Banffshire. Mearns/Roy/Low in Insch & Auchterless, Aberdeenshire.

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:39 am

Another P.S. there is a chap who created his own "Call Outs" for the Ellis Island records.

The "Trust" tried to sue him, but he won!

It's been so long since I needed the excellent service I can't even find it now.

Bet I had the link on the old board.

It's actually very easy to navigate your way though Ellis Island, however, in many cases, you have to click through a GAZILLION records before getting the one you want. This "Clever Cove" designed a search that was completely accurate.

I hope someone has the address.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:01 am

Hi Debbie,

That was great detective work by Andy, Bob, Mary - then Sally with the 1866 BC of Mary.

Well done to you all. =D>

Jack

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:32 am

I'm completely hooked on this lot. Debbie you've got to order the marriage cert for John George Parker and Mary McDade.

No sign of this family anywhere on mainland Britain in 1881, but they must have been around in Neilston in 1871.

The IGI, as you know, has the marriage of Daniel and Mary as 29th MAY 1853. This was the Banns, I'm very confident that the marriage actually took place on 13th June 1853 at St. John's Catholic Chapel in Barrhead.

Unfortunately the original church, established in 1842 and given Parish status in 1861, burned down in 1941 because of an electrical fault. Many of the records were lost but you may get lucky, particularly with Baptismal records.

Luckily there were three parish priests during the period from 1853 - 1870, John Sheedy, Thomas Keane and John McGinnis. Hopefully at least one of these kept better than average records (some priests were very diligent).

Father Stephen Baillie is the current Parish Priest the address is:

St. John's Barrhead
AURS ROAD
BARRHEAD
G78 2TJ

The historical nickname for this church was “Connacht Corner” because many of the Irish Weavers originated in Sligo, Mayo, Roscommon, Leitrim and Galway. However, it's more likely that the McDade lot were from Derry or Down. McMahon is a very common name in Ireland but is particularly prevalent in Clare with very significant concentrations in Limerick, Monaghan, Fermanagh, Cavan and Tyrone.

grannysrock

mc dads

Post by grannysrock » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:12 pm

Hi All
McDade family seem to be in leyland in 1881:
transcribed as MC DADS !

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Daniel MC DADS Head M Male 50 Scotland Bleacher Of Cloth
Mary MC DADS Wife M Female 50 Scotland
Agnes MC DADS Daur U Female 18 Scotland Pupil Teacher (School Mistress)
Francis MC DADS Son U Male 17 Scotland Bleacher
Mary MC DADS Daur Female 15 Scotland Bleacher (Undef)
Elizabeth MC DADS Daur Female 11 Scotland Scholar

Place of birth Scotland then ?

Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:39 pm

EXCELLENT FIND!!!!

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:09 pm

Just to confirm that the Neilston birth in 1866 shows the parents as Daniel and Mary McMahon, married 1853 June 13th St John's RC Church, Barrhead.

Davie

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:56 pm

There was another brother James:

1881 census:

James MC DADE Head M Male 26 Scotland Tinsmith
Bridget (McDonald) MC DADE Wife M Female 25 Scotland
Catherine MC DADE Daur Female 5 Scotland
James MC DADE Son Male 3 Scotland
John Thos. MC DADE Son Male 2 Scotland
Mary MC DADE Daur Female 1 m Preston, Lancashire, England

Dwelling 44 Gillett St
Census Place Preston, Lancashire, England
Family History Library Film 1342012
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 4231 / 65
Page Number 33

And in 1891 in Leyland

James McDade 38 Tin Smith born Scotland
Bridget wife 34 born Scotland
Catherine 15 born Scotland
James 14 born Scotland
John 12 born Scotland
Mary 10 born Preston
Daniel 8 born Leyland
Francis 6 Leyland
Margaret 3 Leyland
Phillip 8 months Leyland

Daniel McDade had died by 1891, here is Mary

Lancashire Leyland

Mary McDade Head Widow 62 born Scotland
Elizabeth 21 daughter

MaryE

Post by MaryE » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:21 pm

Great work, Sally and Andy!

Quite a few McDades around there in 1871, including some from Scotland and Ireland, but not this particular family so must have still been in Scotland at that point. A job for that new index ....!

A 33 yr-old George McDade who is in Lancashire in 1871 has a fairly precise birthplace given, if it's any help - Ireland, Strabane, Co Tyrone.

Mary