Searching for Lyon/Stewart Family.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Heather Lyon

Searching for Lyon/Stewart Family.....

Post by Heather Lyon » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:12 pm

Here I am again looking for info on the Lyon Family. My grt grandfather, William Lyon b 1859 owned a farm called Tannadice Farm, Tannadice. When he died I understand his daughter Willliamina Lyon b c 1886 and her husband James Charles Stewart b c 1876 took it over. James died in 1950 and I know they had at least one child as she is mentioned on the death certificate. Her name is Jean Lyon Stewart and her address at the time of her father's death was 10 Park Lane, Kersal, Manchester. I wonder if anyone can give me any information on Tannadice Farm, Williamina Lyon and her daughter or other children.

I would appreciate any help.

Heather Lyon

Heather Lyon

Searching for Lyon/Stewart Family

Post by Heather Lyon » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:29 pm

I have just found out that Tannadice Farm is by Forfar in the District of Brechin and the County of Angus. Maybe someone would know if it is still owned by a member of my family.

Heather Lyon

DavidWW

Re: Searching for Lyon/Stewart Family

Post by DavidWW » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:05 am

Heather Lyon wrote:Here I am again looking for info on the Lyon Family. My grt grandfather, William Lyon b 1859 owned a farm called Tannadice Farm, Tannadice. When he died I understand his daughter Willliamina Lyon b c 1886 and her husband James Charles Stewart b c 1876 took it over. James died in 1950 and I know they had at least one child as she is mentioned on the death certificate. Her name is Jean Lyon Stewart and her address at the time of her father's death was 10 Park Lane, Kersal, Manchester. I wonder if anyone can give me any information on Tannadice Farm, Williamina Lyon and her daughter or other children.

I would appreciate any help.

Heather Lyon
Completely unconnected genealogically, but Tannadice is the name of the ground of Dundee FC. Some decades ago when many more Scottish teams than today were involved in European football competitions, - and Dundee were up there with the best in Scotland, - BBC sent a commentator up to a match from England, - they still insist on doing this today on occasion :evil: , - and being a clever lad, and familiar with the Italian language via Italy's great influence at the European level at that time, but not having done his homework that well, he gave "Tannadice" an Italian pronunciation :!: :!:

I'd have given you the location of the farm previously, but had assumed that you already knew its location.

There doesn't appear to be a current address in the UK Postal address Book for Tannadice Farm, but why don't you try a letter addressed to The Occupier, Tannadice Farm, FORFAR, Angus DD8, and see if anything happens?

Davie

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:46 pm

For current land ownership, have a search using the following website.

http://www.whoownsscotland.org.uk/

Unfortunately, not all counties are covered yet. Angus (Forfarshire) is not yet covered, so no sign of Tannadice.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:34 pm

AndrewP wrote:For current land ownership, have a search using the following website.

http://www.whoownsscotland.org.uk/
Hullo Andrew!

I was most interested in your info about the exitance of this site, but wasn't able to gain access. :?: :?:

All the best
Catriona

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:38 pm

The "Who owns Scotland" website was working this afternoon, but seems to be offline this evening.

Andrew

Heather Lyon

Lyon/Stewart

Post by Heather Lyon » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:28 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I have discovered that the farm was called Mill of Tannadice and not as detailed in the death certificate as Tannadice Farm. I have spoken to the farmer who has purchased this land and incorporated into his own farm land. He is going to try to find out if any of my ancestors are still living in Tannandice. There appears to be a book written about the area and it apparently has something about the Mill of Tannadice. The farmer is going to ask someone in the village if she has any knowledge of my grt grandfather and his family.

Heather

Rosey

MILL OF TANNADICE / LYON

Post by Rosey » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:23 pm

Hi Heather

I realise your posting was a while ago and you have probably moved on but .........

Have you seen the DOIG genealogy site, specifically http://www.doig.net/JOHN1683.html - both the Mill of Tannadice and LYON are mentioned there.

Probably a red herring, but thought I would mention it.

Rosey
Researching -
ALEXANDER and BROWN - Glasgow area (originally from Ireland)
AITKEN (AITKIN, ATKINS) - Dalkeith
CHRISTIE and MARTIN - Forfar
MEEK - Kircardine/Aberdeen/Forfar
BEATTIE - Kircardine

Heather Lyon

Lyon/Stewart

Post by Heather Lyon » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:04 pm

Hi Rosey

Thanks for your information. I am not sure if this Lyon belongs to my family or not. However my grt grandfather, William Lyon married Helen Shepherd and there are Shepherds also mentioned in the Doig website. The farmer who bought Mill of Tannadice and who is trying to help me trace my ancestors there also lives in Baldukie Farm which is mentioned several times in the website. I will pass this information on to him.

I see you are looking for Beattie ancestors. My grt,grt,grt grandfather, James Lyon b around 1800, married a Barbara Beattie but they lived in a croft on the Haddo Estate in Methlick, Aberdeenshire. However I haven't traced any of that side of the family yet.

Thanks again.

If anyone else has any information re Lyon/Stewart family, please pass it on.

Heather

Searching for Lyon - Aberdeenshire and Kincardineshire
Stewart - Kincardineshire
Robertson - Forglen
Beattie - Aberdeenshire
Shepherd - Huntly
McLintock - Glasgow