John George Bryan

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Kate

John George Bryan

Post by Kate » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:45 am

My Ggrandfather John George Bryan was born c 1839 Glasgow{ source his death cert} all i know is his father was a publican John came to NZ abt 1861 he was a sailor anyone have any info on this family it would be great to hear from you

Thanks Kate 8)

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

Post by Liz Turner » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:21 pm

Dear Kate

Have you checked the 1841 and 1851 Census records? You might well be able to track him and other family members through that. Try the Scotland's People site if you've not already done that.

A search of births on SP shows 11 John Bryan's born between 1810 and 1854 in Scotland.

There are 19 in the 1851 Census.

Liz
Fife: Nicolson, Cornfoot, Walker, Gibson, Balsillie, Galt, Elder
NE Scot: Nicolson, Lindsay, Haliburton, Ross
Edin & Central: Nicolson, Blaikie, Stevenson, Ross, Hotchkiss, Suttie, Christie, Clelland, Gray, Purvis, Lang, Dickson
Ross & Cromarty: Ross

Kate

John George Bryan

Post by Kate » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:59 pm

Hi Liz thank you very much for the reply i have tried for a few years believe it or not still havent found him tried census scotlandspeople etc apparently the Bryan family came from Kilkenny Ireland so it was a bit of a shock when i discovered on his death cert born Glasgow i dont know any more about him so it makes it more difficult had a copuple of nibbles but nothing yet

Thanks Again Regards Kate :?
Interests Clackmannan Todd Ramsay Midlothian Smail Hamilton Lanark Bryan East Lothian King Sandilands Pryde Skirvin Peebles Johnston Murdison Berwickshire Murdison Watson

caraid

Post by caraid » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:56 pm

Hi Kate
I also have Bryans from Ireland. I have found various spellings of the name. They are Brien, Briens, Brian, Brians, Bryant, Bains, Bayness, Brynes. These surnames all came of certificates for the same family. There is probably a few more as I havn't tracked them all. The names and timescale you mention do not ring any bells with me and I havn't a clue where in Ireland mine came from. All I can say is stay positive and one day you might find them, Its taken me a few years. :)
Sutherland, Calder, Dunnet, Budge from Dunnet, Caithness
Anderson, Henderson, Hunter, Melrose, Denholm, McAdam from East Lothian
Mack from Coldingham
Walker mainly Leith
Ross, Banff to Edinburgh

Kate

John George Bryan

Post by Kate » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:32 pm

Hi Caraid i will keep on trying i knew there were variations to the spelling but not that many so thanks for that Bye Kate :)
Interests Clackmannan Todd Ramsay Midlothian Smail Hamilton Lanark Bryan East Lothian King Sandilands Pryde Skirvin Peebles Johnston Murdison Berwickshire Murdison Watson

Janipani

Re: John George Bryan

Post by Janipani » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:03 am

Hi ,

I have been searching for my family ... paternal side

MyGrandfather was John George Bryan ... from Ireland

He and his siblings went to New Zealand ..
My father was John James Bryan ...
I am Janice Doreen McCann (née Bryan)
I am 72 and desperately trying to piece together my family.
Grandads records in New Zealand show spelling as Bryan , but I clearly remember being told that he changed his age and spelling of surname to go to the Boar War .
Your post is of interest
Regards
Janice

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:50 am

Hello Janice and a warm [TS_welcome]

The original poster (Kate) has not been on the forum since 2011 :( but perhaps with a great deal of luck, (and if her email address hasn't changed in the interim) she will get a notification of your post. If you have any specific questions, I'm sure there are many on this forum who would love to help.

All the best,

Sarah

McCann 1968

Post by McCann 1968 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:08 am

Hi Janice I'm most probably wrong but I'm looking for a janice doreen don't know her maiden name it could be McCann. Scott or Ritchie also I think she
Had a brother and sister Walter Ernest Scott and Pearl Rachel Scott the mothers name was laurel Doris moreland then she became a scott and then she married my grandfather William Alexander McCann do any of the names sound familiar
Regards nigel McCann