ARBERTHANY-Kincardineshire

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

mvamastra

ARBERTHANY-Kincardineshire

Post by mvamastra » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:23 pm

In tracing my family history a place of birth in 1800 for one of them was given as ARBERTHANY-Kincardineshire.
I have searched high and low for this place but as yet to no avail, there is no mention in any maps that I have looked at.
Is it a misspelling or an old place given a new name, maybe a parish or village thats just been allowed to run down to nothing, or a suburb of a town.
I can at the moment only make a guess.
Can anybody out there shed any light on my problem.

Thank you

John

WilmaM

Re: ARBERTHANY-Kincardineshire

Post by WilmaM » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi John, Welcome to Talking Scot.

Could you give us a little more detail: the person's name and where you found the reference to his birth-place [census or other source perhaps]

Oftentimes it can be a farm name not an actual place name, and they can be corrupted or indeed vanish from the maps.

We like a challenge!
Wilma

mvamastra

Post by mvamastra » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Hello WilMam,
Thank you for the reply so quick.
The persons name was John Roberts, his wife was Jane Taylor, and interestingly enough his father James Roberts was a farmer,
His sister was born in Kinneff, so if it is a name of a farm this could be the area.
The reference to the place of birth I think came from a census.
Jane Taylor also gave the place of birth as Arberthany.

Regards
John

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Nothing obvious jumping out at me so far,
Only suggestion I can make at the moment is ARBUTHNOTT , that's the next Parish to Kineff.

Freecen is running very s-l-o-w-l-y so I'll check that a bit more when it speeds up.

Found what could be thier marriage in the IGI [1828?] but no children showing up on a parent search there, using offspring and siblings can help track elusive folk down.
Wilma

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi John and Wilma,
My first thought was that it was a metathesis of Abernathy. Could it be the parish of Abernethy and Kincardine in Inverness?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abernethy_and_Kincardine

Maybe not, if it's supposed to be close to Kineff. But it could be another Abernethy mis-spelt.

Regards,
Sarah

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:38 pm

John,

FamilySearch has a marriage extract for John Robert and Jane Taylor, Kinneff and Catterline, Kincardine for 15 Jun 1828. Have you looked for this on ScotlandsPeople yet? The marriage OPR's are sometimes very sparse in detail, but they usually tell where the bride and groom are from--at the moment! I'm guessing that Arberthany was a farm. I can't find them anywhere on the census records.

Good hunting,

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:29 pm

Okay, I see the ones you mean, in the 1861 census. Both John and Jane were born in this mythical spot, with Kincardine spelled differently for each person:

38 Nelson St, Tradeston, Glasgow Govan, Lanarkshire
John Roberts, 60, Head, born Arberthany, Kincardeshire, Sailor
Jane Roberts, 60, Wife, born Arberthany, Kencondreshire
James Roberts, 21, Son, born Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Boiler Maker

This is, obviously, the Ancestry transcription. Have you seen the actual census page?

As an interesting exercise, I searched in 1861 for anyone born in arber* and came up with such places as (standard spelling in square brackets):
Arberthnot, Abdnshire, [<Arbuthnot]
Arberlot, Forfarshire [<Arbirlot]
Arberton, Renfrewshire [<?]
Arberdour, Fife [<Aberdour]

So 'r's were being inserted then, as now, in places they don't belong. I would try taking out an 'r' or two and seeing what could be made of the word. It is suspicious that John and Jane are the ONLY people in all of Scotland in 1861 who were born there... :roll:

Have you seen them in any other censuses to get another try at the place?

All the best,
Sarah

mvamastra

Post by mvamastra » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:03 pm

Carol and WilmaM

The info that I have so far is as follows.

James Roberts (Farmer) and Wife Forbes Mitchell.
(Children) John Roberts (b) <1881> Charles Roberts (b) 29/08/1814 Kinneff. Margaret Roberts (b) <1807> Kinneff.

John Taylor (Farmer) and Wife Jane Forbes.
(Children) Jane Taylor.

John Roberts marries Jane Taylor 11/06/1828.
(Children) John Roberts (b) 13/10/1832, Jane Ann Roberts (b) 08/12/1836, James Forbes Roberts (b) <1840>.

Seeing as both John and Jane give Arberthany as place of birth and that both the fathers were farmers, could it be that the fathers both worked on the same farm.

regards

John