1871 Census

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

puffin

1871 Census

Post by puffin » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:03 pm

I have an ScotlandsPeople 1871 Census entry for St. Fergus Parish that is very difficult to read, and have a jpg image of this, see attached.

I wonder if anyone is able to help try and read this entry from the 1871 census, Parish of St. Fergus?

Column 4 Name is it ?Elisabeth? and what is the Surname ????

Column 5 Niece -ok

Column 6 Unmarried - ok

Column 8 Age ???

Column 9 ???? School

For the other entries in this household the 19 year old James Lyon is the father of William age 1. William was an “illegitimate” birth with his mother being Mary Ann Duncan.

Thanks

Puffin
Attachments
1871 Census Entry.jpeg
1871 Census Entry.jpeg (153.24 KiB) Viewed 719 times

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: 1871 Census

Post by AndrewP » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:39 pm

Hi Puffin,

According to Ancestry:
>> Elizabeth Matherne 7 Niece

According to FindMyPast:
>> Elizabeth Mathew Niece Unmarried Female 7 1864 Might be at school New Deer, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

In light of the above transcriptions, and looking at the actual page, I would suggest Elizabeth Mathew, age 7, who "might be at school".

The ScotlandsPeople birth index doesn't offer any obvious candidates to match any of the above, as far as I can see.

The IGI offers a possible birth, if New Deer is not accurate:
>> Eliza Mathew, born 06-Jun-1864, Cruden, Aberdeenshire, no father named, mother Margaret Mathew

That one is matched by a birth record on ScotlandsPeople.

There is also a matching death certificate for a 90 year old Eliza Mathew who died in Peterhead; mother Margaret Mathew. I had a look at that and it names the father, and a late husband. The informant was an intimate friend. Over to you to prove the facts, or otherwise.

All the best,

AndrewP

puffin

Re: 1871 Census

Post by puffin » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:52 am

Many thanks Andrew, as usual most helpful

After a rather long time not researching family history I have returned to tidy up a few questions and anomalies on 'missing' individuals, or to identify people living with people on the family tree, and this Elizabeth is one of them.

Described as 'niece' I trawled around yesterday trying to see who might she be a niece of......but with no success. So the hunt continues.

By the way, have you seen my book on Russell, published 2019, you can find it on Amazon with a printed version or a kindle version?

With best wishes,

Puffin