Where can I find Names.....

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

Tracey
Global Moderator

Re: Where can I find Names.....

Post by Tracey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:31 pm

The 1841 census on freecen has 1381 Coutts. I went through all the pages and from what i could see they were all in Scotland.
Singer on the other hand returns only 366 and it looks like 2/3 are in Scotland the other 1/3 England.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

joette
Global Moderator

Re: Where can I find Names.....

Post by joette » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:33 pm

I have to have a look at the trees again & see how it all pieces together but as far as I can recall it's-
Mary Fraser has a son Joseph Coutts to neighbour Findlater Coutts.Her sister Rosanna marries James McKimmie & they become my GGreat-Grandparents.Their sister Charlotte marries a Joseph Singer-which I thought might be whom Joseph was named for.My GGreat-Grandparents also have a Joseph amongst their sons.
I'm sure they are on my Genes Reunited tree but have no recollection of anybody contacting me re the Coutts but it was about five years ago when I made the connection & have not really gone any further with them other than Joseph & his offspring & some of Mary's other children so my memory is not that clear on them.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

FGC1

Findlater Coutts

Post by FGC1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:53 pm

Hi Joette
Further to your posting of November 23, 2005 I can confirm the marriage Findlater Coutts/Smith.
There is an entry in the International Geological Index which records the Marriage of Findlater Coutts to Ann Smith on January 26, 1856 at Mortlach in the County of Banffshire.