New Member.....

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

Wendy

New Member.....

Post by Wendy » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:35 pm

Hello, Wendy here ...formally icenana on SP have written several emails to SP and as to the posts we have on SP this is the latest email I got this morning:This is one of the emails I wrote:
Hello,
Thank you for responding to me...Doesn't sound as if there is any hope for
the forum coming back up ever...what a real shame...the people who were
regulars were wonderful ambassadors for the scotland people site...It
certainly is a shame that what one or two people said or did... can shut
the forum down.

It suddenly dawned on me that I never printed out the info or suggestions
given to me...how can I get this....I have no way of contacting these
people...my name was icenana...can someone retrieve this information?For everyone?
Thanks
Wendy
THIS WAS THE RESPONSE:
Wendy

I have spoken to Scotland on Line who may be able to retreive your postings
at some time over the coming weeks.

Thank you

Raymond Evans

I hope we can get the old forum back on to at least retrieve the information we all may need
Thanks for getting this forum..so we can continue with our research and fun
Wendy
Searching for :
Anderson, Dunlop, Gibson, Moreland, Paterson,

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:23 am

Welcom to the forum and enjoy yourself.

Stew :D :D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Gibson

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:17 pm

Wendy

I have Gibsons in Larkhall could they be the family your researching?

Wendy

To Guest

Post by Wendy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:43 pm

Hi,

My Gibson's originated from Ireland...Kircubbin area...I am trying to find out where else they might have gone...William Moreland Married and Agnes Gibson ..they were in Scotland in 1873 as a son James was born in Patrick Lanark, Scotland...I am asssuming that since they left Ireland some of Agnes' family came as well...but haven't gotten there yet...Agnes parents were Alexander Gibson born abt. 1802 and her mother was Sarah McFarlane...siblings I have for her are:Margaret b. 1822
John b. 9 March 1823
William 1825 died in infancy
Agnes 1827
William 30 April 1829
Alexander 1840

Wendy
Searching for :

Alcluith

Post by Alcluith » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:39 am

Hi Wendy

I had posted to you whilst trying to check site security.

As I am based in Scotland, just north of Glasgow. if you need any assistance with any lookups then let me know.

Like you I have a lot of branches that originate in Ireland and have found getting any information there very difficult despite a couple of trips to both the North and South.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Burns, Quinn - Glasgow, N.Ireland
McLeod, Mackay, Nicholson, McNeil - Skye
James, McLeod, Sinclair, Smith - Renton
Davidson,Adie, Gibb - Aberdeen
Jolly Wishart - Angus
Usher - Newcastle
Mullen, Roe - Dublin
O'Donnell - Ireland, Alexandria

Alcluith

1881 Morelands

Post by Alcluith » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:53 pm

Wendy

You may have this already but it looks like the family came over from Ireland shortly before James was born. If you get James birth certificate you should get where William and Agnes was married if you do not already have it. You should be able to get James sibling's birth certificates in Ireland which might locate where they were just before coming to Scotland.

Dwelling: 49 Orchard Street
Census Place: Govan, Lanark, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203689 GRO Ref Volume 646-2 EnumDist 7 Page 16
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
William MORELAND M 54 M Ireland
Rel: Head
Occ: Ship Labourer
Agnes MORELAND M 54 F Ireland
Rel: Wife
William MORELAND U 28 M Ireland
Rel: Son
Occ: Ship Labourer
Ellen Jane MORELAND U 22 F Ireland
Rel: Daur
Occ: Machine Girl
Robert E. MORELAND U 20 M Ireland
Occ: Tramway Car Engine Driver
Mary J. MORELAND U 18 F Ireland
Occ: Machine Girl
David H. MORELAND 15 M Ireland
Occ: Van Driver
Agnes MORELAND 12 F Ireland
Occ: Scholar
James MORELAND 8 M Partick, Lanark, Scotland
Occ: Scholar
Burns, Quinn - Glasgow, N.Ireland
McLeod, Mackay, Nicholson, McNeil - Skye
James, McLeod, Sinclair, Smith - Renton
Davidson,Adie, Gibb - Aberdeen
Jolly Wishart - Angus
Usher - Newcastle
Mullen, Roe - Dublin
O'Donnell - Ireland, Alexandria

Wendy

Hello Drew...many Thanks

Post by Wendy » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:07 am

Hello Drew,
Thanks for the offer...and yes I actually did have the census...I have 8 June 1847 for the marriage date..and the place was Innishagie Church, Kircubbin..
I really have to get birth certificates for all the children and actually should get the marrige cert for William and Agnes as it will give me the parents and where as well....I would love to actually get William Alexanders' cert as I have no actual date ..other than year for his birth...he is my GGGrandfather( the 28 year old from the 1881 census) from William and Agnes...getting info from Ireland is actually very hard at times...my thanks for your help.
We had a very nice Christmas thanks... and I hope you did as well.
Wendy
Searching for :

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:52 am

Wendy

To find the birth record of James MORELAND you will need to be a bit creative with wildcards, as you won't find it under MORELAND. Try limiting the search period to 1872 to 1874, and the district to Partick alone, and search on the basis of surname "MO*", - one record will jump out at you......... but the info on the place of marriage is much less detailed that you have already. (For anyone at all familiar with how a broad Ulster accent might be heard by a Partick registrar, the spelling is "perfect"!)

Not clear if you have the death register entries for William and Agnes GIBSON. Hint: Neither survived to the 1891 census. Being Scottish records these provide the names of both parents.

The two records between them have an excellent example of "death certificate promotion". On the register entry for Agnes, she was shown as "widow of William Moreland, Tramway Car Conductor"; while on his death register entry, William was shown as "Tramway Company's Labourer" !

In 1891 two of the kids are living with their married sister Mary J GRAHAM, on Dumbarton Road, a few hundred yards away from where my father was born a few years later .

Davie

PS A "car", more correctly a "caur" in terms of the pronunciation was not a car but a tram taking up to 40 or 50 people.
dww

PPS There might just be some interesting military records in relation to William's father...........
TNA's online catalogue at http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search.asp gives two possible links, but just the one from Co. Down ......... (NB You must search on "William AND Moreland", - using a lower case "and" doesn't work.)

WO 97/337/97 WILLIAM MORELAND Born PETERSTOWN, Down Served in 12th Foot Regiment; 124th Foot Regiment Discharged aged 41 1795-1817
dww

Wendy

Thank you Davie

Post by Wendy » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:30 pm

My many Thanks... can't get into SP for whatever reason :cry: have had more than enough problems just getting into the forums.... so will keep trying....your "hints" will help so much....I am so excited to get in and get the info...but will have to wait until I can get in ...I have tried before but came up with nothing...don't know my way around very well ...hope its not too long...

I was able to access the link you gave me ..and have been trying to find out where Peterstown, Down is but all Google brings up is WV location...so as I can't get on SP will now go and hunt for a good map of Ireland and Scotland as nothing I have here shows that particular town....will post when I am finally sucessful with the info.

again many thanks for your time
Wendy
Searching for :

AndrewP
Site Admin

While SP is eluding you...

Post by AndrewP » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:47 pm

Hi Wendy,

While SP is eluding you, you can find the answer to the name that "sounds like Moreland" by finding his birth on the IGI. The boxes you need to fill in are:

Father's first name : William
Mother's first name : Agnes
Mother's surname : Gibson
Region : British Isles
Batch number : C116461
Leave all other boxes blank (the batch number dictates "birth" and the range of years).

Then [search]. There is only one answer given - your James. Now you can try and imagine this pronunciation of the name Moreland with the Irish accent to the registrar in Partick.

The batch number was found from Hugh Wallace's website. That batch covers the births of 1855 to 1875 in Govan (which included Partick).

All the best,

Andrew Paterson