David Dick, 34th (Fifeshire) Militia/93rd RoF (Sutherland Highlanders)

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Maurie1945

David Dick, 34th (Fifeshire) Militia/93rd RoF (Sutherland Highlanders)

Post by Maurie1945 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:05 am

I am researching my 3xggf David Dick. This is what I know so far. David Dick was a private in the 34th Fifeshire Militia having enlisted in 1802/3 before volunteering to join the 93rd Regiment of Foot (Sutherland Highlanders) from the Isle of Wight in 1805. David fought with the 93rd in the Battle of Cape Town (1806) and New Orleans (1815). He died in Limerick, Ireland in 1818. While in South Africa David married and had a family.

I think David was probably the son of Andrew Dick and Isobel Taylor having been baptised at Cults, Fife on 25 May 1783. This would have made him 20yo when he joined the military. He was reputedly a weaver. If I have the correct David he would have been only 35 when he died.

I am trying to get proof that David was who I think he was. To do this I am hoping that there is a record of him joining the Fife Militia and that this provides some detail of the actual date he enlisted, his age, parentage, residence, or whatever.

I have employed a person to do research for me at TNA Kew which has been very successful, but unfortunately the records covering the 34th FM for the first half of 1803 are missing.

Any help anybody can give me would be greatly appreciated. Not easy doing Scottish research from Australia.

Currie

Re: David Dick, 34th (Fifeshire) Militia/93rd RoF (Sutherland Highlanders)

Post by Currie » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:55 pm

Hello Maurie,

A couple of years ago I went looking for info on the Fifeshire Militia and this is as far as I got. http://www.talkingscot.com/forum/viewto ... ts+archive

It seems the missing records are those from before they left for England in July 1803. It would have been a rush to give them any sort of training before then. (Correction - first report of entry to England was June 1804)

Caledonian Mercury, Thursday, July 15, 1802.
FIFESHIRE.
By the Act passed last Session of Parliament intitled “An Act to raise and establish a Militia Force in Scotland.” the first Genera Meeting of the Lieutenancy for carrying the act into execution is appointed to he held on the last Tuesday before the first day of August next. The Lord Lieutenant of Fifeshire, in pursuance of the said act, requests the attendance of the Deputies at a General Meeting to be held within the County Room at Cupar, on Tuesday the 27th day of July inst. at 12 o'clock noon, for the purpose aforesaid.
By order of the LORD LIEUTENANT,
THO. HORSBURGH, C.G. M.

Much reading about Militias in “The County Lieutenancies and the Army, 1803-1814”
https://archive.org/details/countylieut ... ew=theater

Best of luck,
Alan

Maurie1945

Post by Maurie1945 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:17 am

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your response. I will read up the sources you mention.

I understand that an informal census was taken around about the time the militias were raised in 1802/3. This was to determine who was eligible for "conscription". Hopefully this would include details of families, etc. Are you aware if this was done for Fife and if so does it still exist and where?

Cheers

Maurie

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:21 pm

Hello Maurie,

As an example, Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives has the Militia records for Aberdeen County listed here. They include Enrolment Books (1802-1804) etc.
https://archives.aberdeencity.gov.uk/ca ... =AS%2FAMil

Perth & Kinross archives has an online catalogue, however it doesn’t seem to be working. You could try email. https://www.culturepk.org.uk/archive-lo ... catalogue/

The National Records of Scotland has a catalogue search page but I couldn’t find anything relevant. https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrs ... earch.aspx

Hope that helps,
Alan

Maurie1945

Post by Maurie1945 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:34 am

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that.

I have searched the NRS site and found: GD26 Leven & Melville Munuments - GD26/9/138 to 144 refer to the Fifeshire Militia. Specifically GD26/9/143 May 1802 Pay Fifeshire Militia looks the most interesting. Now the challenge is to get the details.

I have also emailed the Cupar Museum and Heritage Centre to see what info they may have on the Fifeshire Militia. I will let you know if/when I get a response.

Cheers

Maurie

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:48 am

That's good. Hope you find him.

Alan