Army career of Alexander McKillop

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

pollyscotty

Army career of Alexander McKillop

Post by pollyscotty » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:28 pm

Hello,
I am a very new member and would be very grateful for any help with the army career of Alexander McKillop or MacKillop as he was also known. I am researching the owners of Monument Cottage in Glencoe, and his son, Duncan MacKillop once owned it for many years. His father Alex is a mystery man and I am trying to unravel his career. His service number on his WW1 medal is 23313 but he also seems to have 387795. I think I traced him to the Aldershot barracks with the Cameron Highlanders in 1911 when he would have been 37, suggesting to me that the army might have been his home. Then in 30/10/1913 he is in Glencoe and marries Joan or Joann Macdonald (possibly related to earlier owners of Monument Cottage). His son Duncan is born in February 1914 and Alex is described as a gardener. So either he left the Cameron highlanders and rejoined for WW1 or he never left the army. I cannot find any record of his death in WW1 or any mention of his civilian death in the UK so possibly he emigrated to Canada as many Alex McKillops matching his rough dob 1874 are listed on passengers leaving for Quebec. If anybody could help me flesh out his story I would be extremely grateful. Many thanks, Polly
:) I have a picture of him in full dress kilt, but very little else seems to have survived.

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Army career of Alexander McKillop

Post by SarahND » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:11 am

Hello Polly and a warm [TS_welcome]
Do you have a copy of Alex and Joan's marriage certificate? If so, his parents' names should be given and it will be easier to track down the correct death certificate. As well as the Alexander Mckillops in Canada, there are also a number who went to Australia. In most cases the parents' names are given in the death index.

All the best,
Sarah