Did my relative go to WW1?

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Aliballibee

Did my relative go to WW1?

Post by Aliballibee » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:48 am

Been a long time since I've been on the forum and back looking at my family tree.

This is probably too simplistic a question but with very limited details how can I check if a relative served in WW1?

My grandfather, George Wright, served in WW2 and I have his POW record. His father, also George Wright, is the one I'm trying to confirm whether he served in WW1. Unfortunately the only detail I have for George Wright Snr is his marriage date - 14th June 1907.

Sadly I have no living relatives with any further knowlege on George Snr and searches on various armed forces websites throw up hundreds of possible "George's".

Without, for instance, any regiment details is this an impossible search?

Many thanks

Alan

Currie

Re: Did my relative go to WW1?

Post by Currie » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:19 am

Hello Alan,

About two thirds of British Army WW1 soldiers records were destroyed during WW2 bombing.

The surviving records, and the full set of medal index cards for soldiers who served overseas, are available at Ancestry, and sometimes those cards have an address on the back.

Even if he did serve during WW1 you'll have a hard time picking him out of the thousand or more soldiers by that name.

Do you know of any other children who may have been born during WW1? If so, his occupation should be recorded on their birth certificate, if you can obtain it, and may include any regimental details.

Have you found him on the 1911 census? There's also the Absent Voters Lists which may help if you have an address.
http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/avl.html

More info here.
http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/research.html

What was his occupation? He would not have been conscripted if he was vital to the war effort in his usual job. That's unless he jumped in early in the war as a volunteer.

All the best,
Another Alan

Aliballibee

Re: Did my relative go to WW1?

Post by Aliballibee » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:01 am

Hi Alan

Thanks for the quick response - I believe we have corresponded before (I haven't been on the site since 2012) and we even had another "Alan" in on the act! :D

George Wright Snr had about 7 children, including my grandfather. As it happens I had previously obtained a copy of his marriage certificate and it lists his occupation as an "Iron Moulder" so maybe an occupation that didn't go off to war?

Will see what else I can unearth.

Thanks again

Alan