Uniform help

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

DebR

Uniform help

Post by DebR » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:39 am

Hello all ... this is my first post here and am after some suggestions in regards to a picture in our family. My Ancestor William Urquhart was born in Glasgow in 1848 the youngest son of John and Agnes Urquhart née Black. William’s father died some time around his birth (we’ve not found his death)

This picture I was told was of William (seated)and 2 of his brothers prior to coming to Australia but now we are questioning if it was actually in Australia. The uniform might hold the key. William’s two brothers belonging to some kind of military volunteer force so I’m hoping if it’s a Scottish voluntary force the uniform might be recognised.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Deb R
Attachments
7FA0D899-7DA3-4BB2-9161-FAC76E11733B.jpeg
7FA0D899-7DA3-4BB2-9161-FAC76E11733B.jpeg (233.77 KiB) Viewed 568 times

WilmaM

Re: Uniform help

Post by WilmaM » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:43 am

What an interesting picture to have.

You don't mention when William went to Australia, did he go alone? to join family already there? or did the whole family emigrate together?

The Photo has been hand coloured, either at the time of printing or later on. So sadly a lot of the original details have been lost in the process.
Like any faint details on the cap badge or his belt buckle. Unless it is in actual fact a drawing?

Hopefully some eagle-eyed member will be able to give you more information.
Wilma

DebR

Post by DebR » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:23 pm

Our Urquhart’s certainly have given us a headache ... John Urquhart the father was with the family in 1841 he was a Hat maker and we know he was in Glasgow from 1833 when he married Agnes Black (from Paisley) he seems to be in business with a James Lang who was a hat manufacturer from at least 1821. The census tells us John is not from Glasgow and was born around 1806 so he’s our mystery man. His wife is listed as a widow on the 1851 census and by 1853 their eldest daughter migrated, next was Jane and Edward in 1860 as for the remainder of the family we aren’t sure when they left. They were still there in 1861. My ancestor William ended up as a stockman in Queensland for many years until he decided he had enough of floods and drought and headed to West Australia. Most of us Aussie descendants have done DNA and although we can’t join any dots seems most likely they originated in Ross and Cromarty.

I agree with you on the picture in regards to the lack of detail on uniforms which would have helped with working it out and might remain a mystery.

Thank you for your reply
Deb

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:33 pm

I’m no uniform or art expert but the painting looks a bit amateurish to me. Possibly the original photo may have been old and faded before someone decided to have a go at it and took a guess at the colours.

Scottish regimental cap badges tend to be quite large and perhaps what is visible there is just the artist guessing as to what parts were cap and which parts badge.

The huge “window” in the background, with its multi coloured curtains looks a bit imaginary, but probably just a backdrop.

It would be much more useful if there had been something on the photo, or on the back, on on the frame, to indicate what studio was involved in the production of the photograph.

All the best,
Alan