Gordon Highlanders.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

HK

Gordon Highlanders.....

Post by HK » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:04 am

Hello All,My Grandfather joined the Gordon Highlanders as soon as he was able .I have a picture of him with 20 others in it.The center gent is holding a ball with white print on it.It says

Gordon
M.I.
XI

Does anyone have a idea what this might stand for.
I know he joined long before WW1 and served in WW1.
I've tried the 11th Gordon Highlanders but have found this was a reserve unit.
HeatherK

DavidWW

Re: Gordon Highlanders

Post by DavidWW » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:43 am

HeatherK wrote:Hello All,My Grandfather joined the Gordon Highlanders as soon as he was able .I have a picture of him with 20 others in it.The center gent is holding a ball with white print on it.It says

Gordon
M.I.
XI

Does anyone have a idea what this might stand for.
I know he joined long before WW1 and served in WW1.
I've tried the 11th Gordon Highlanders but have found this was a reserve unit.
HeatherK
Assuming that it's a football ball, then the "XI" is very simply a shorthand way of saying, football eleven, that being the number in the team.

"M.I." - all that immediately occurs is Military Intelligence ..............

Davie

HK

Post by HK » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:24 pm

Thanks Davie,It will be another interesting story no doubt when I find out what he was doing in the Gordon's.Mum knew he was a boxer and was suprized when we told her what was on the picture.I had blown it up on the computer and my husband said"What's that on the ball?"As no one had ever noticed the ball before we did not have the answer.Granpa is definetely my favorite in my family tree.Lots of mysteries and the possibility of answers as not too much time has passed. :lol:
HK