Plaque in Edinburgh Castle for WW2 dead?.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Dennis

Plaque in Edinburgh Castle for WW2 dead?.....

Post by Dennis » Sat May 07, 2005 9:28 pm

My mom was saying that she had heard of such a plaque honoring the fallen in combat of WW2. Said that there was the name of a Robert Eadie on it. Supposedly he was RAF.

dennis

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sat May 07, 2005 9:34 pm

Have you tried The Commonwealth War Graves Commission site ?

http://www.cwgc.org

There are 2 Robert Eadies from WWII, both RAF.
Wilma

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Sat May 07, 2005 9:48 pm

Yes, Dennis, there is such a plaque. One of my MACLEOD uncle's name figures on it. He too was RAF. Perhaps one of the Edinburgh members can look for Robert Eadies name. If I remember rightly the names are in alphabetical order.

Catriona

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sat May 07, 2005 9:52 pm

Thanks Wonka:)

dennis

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Sat May 07, 2005 9:55 pm

Wilma, I wondered why I couldn't find Robert Eadies name on the Commonwealth Graves sight , then remembered that you should only put in the initial for the given name!!

I remember being thrilled by the amount of information that sight gave.

Catriona

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sat May 07, 2005 10:02 pm

CatrionaL wrote:Wilma, I wondered why I couldn't find Robert Eadies name on the Commonwealth Graves sight , then remembered that you should only put in the initial for the given name!!

I remember being thrilled by the amount of information that sight gave.

Catriona
Yup - it took me a few tries tonight until I remembered too :oops:

Have you ever just searched the 'cemeteries' part ? I've just been trawling through the Falkirk ones - facinating. One of the local ones Grandsable, Grangemouth has mainly air force, with one aircraft woman.
Wilma

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sat May 07, 2005 10:56 pm

Wilma & Catriona; Thank you for that information. I didn't look at the cemeteries part of the CWG. Too bad the plaque isn't online. But hey, its nice to know that it is there:)

dennis

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat May 07, 2005 11:34 pm

The Scottish National War Memorial's website is at http://www.snwm.org/ and it shows two Robert Eadies who died in World War II while serving in the RAF. The details shown are slightly different from that given on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.

Rather than the traditional stone with many names on it, the Scottish National War Memorial is a purpose built building within Edinbuirgh Castle. In that building, each section is dedicated to a particular regiment. Within each section are the books listing all the names and information about each of the Scottish casualties of the two World Wars and in military service since.

If you are visiting Edinburgh, it is well worth the time and energy to ascend the hill to and within the Castle to visit the memorial.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Sun May 08, 2005 3:14 am

Interesting site Andrew...I found my grandfather's brother Michael Harty for WW1 on it. I also found where he was buried by going on the other site with the war graves.

Are there any sites where they list the wounded? My grandfather John Harty had one of his legs blown off during WW1...the story goes that grannie Harty packed up her youngest (my dad) and off they went to France to look after him. Mum thinks dad was about 3 or 4 at the time but I can't find anyone who knows how she would have gotten from Coatbridge to France at that time. Any thoughts?

Regards,
AnneH

JayPee

Post by JayPee » Sun May 08, 2005 4:28 am

Anne H wrote:...
Are there any sites where they list the wounded?
That would be an interesting site, but would (quite probably) occupy a lot of disk space. I'd be interested in searching for an uncle (a Canadian resident) who served in the RAF and was shot down behind enemy lines; he never spoke about his mishap or the terrible "recovery" time in the POW camp that followed.

- JayPee