77 year old adoption mystery solved

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

scotthiggy

Re: 77 year old adoption mystery solved

Post by scotthiggy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:31 pm

LesleyB wrote:Just a note for anyone who is searching in a similar way:
who advised me that since my father was deceased, I had no right to be able to view his original birth certificate.....BUT...i could write to the court that was involved with the adoption, and ask if I could view it for medical reasons.
If you know the original name of the person who was later adopted and the date of birth, there is nothing at all to stop you going to New Register House, or Park Circus and looking up the original birth entry. If you do not know the original name, then obviously this is not an option. Also, often the court records will hold much more than just the birth details e.g. a written medical report on the child, some info about the biological mother and/or father, and the signed forms,signed by those putting the child up for adoption, completing the legal adoption. Each record is likely to vary so some may hold more, some may hold less.

Best wishes
Lesley
Very true LesleyB, knowing the ORIGINAL name of the adopted person would save a lot of hassle. Unfortunately I didnt have that luxury and had to really roll up my sleeves.
With regards to the court records, my fathers original birth certificate does NOT mention his father, as he was illigitimate, but there was a lawyer's letter held with the birth certificate which stated my my dad's fathers name and also stated some interesting facts ie such as where he worked and that he went "missing" around the time when my father's mother fell pregnant!! It also mentioned details on my dad's adoptive parents such as how much they earned etc etc
Researching the Hayes and Pattison families that lived in and around Anderston Glasgow, 1840s to 1950s.
*******************************************************************************************************************

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 pm

LesleyB wrote:Just a note for anyone who is searching in a similar way:
who advised me that since my father was deceased, I had no right to be able to view his original birth certificate.....BUT...i could write to the court that was involved with the adoption, and ask if I could view it for medical reasons.
If you know the original name of the person who was later adopted and the date of birth, there is nothing at all to stop you going to New Register House, or Park Circus and looking up the original birth entry. If you do not know the original name, then obviously this is not an option. Also, often the court records will hold much more than just the birth details e.g. a written medical report on the child, some info about the biological mother and/or father, and the signed forms,signed by those putting the child up for adoption, completing the legal adoption. Each record is likely to vary so some may hold more, some may hold less.

Best wishes
Lesley
I'm not so sure about that one Lesley. I once tried for a friend - I knew both the birth and adoptive names - but on checking at Park Circus both were marked NRH. :?

Regards,
Annette

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi Annette
I'm not so sure about that one Lesley. I once tried for a friend - I knew both the birth and adoptive names - but on checking at Park Circus both were marked NRH
At NRH I have looked up one, using the original name, so it is certainly possible there. Maybe there are restrictions which apply at Park Circus? I don't know, as I've not tried there. I was just assuming that the same birth records would be at both places, so maybe my error on that assumption.
The person only exisits in the records as the original name, there is no birth entry in the adoptive name, as that information is not open to public view as far as I am aware.

Scott
my fathers original birth certificate does NOT mention his father, as he was illigitimate
It is not specifically because your father was illegitimate that his father's name is not mentioned. If a couple were not married, then they BOTH had to go along to sign the register when reporting the birth. If the couple were not married and the father did not go to register the child with the mother, then his name could not be mentioned in the birth registration. I've seen a good number of examples of both - children whose parents were not married and no father mentioned in the brith entry, and children whose parents were not married and where both parents have turned up to register the child, so both parents are mentioned and both have signed the register.

Best wishes
Lesley

Bastonjock

Post by Bastonjock » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:46 am

As an adopted person i know one or two things about this matter.It appears that when an unmarried young woman was told by her GP that she was pregnant,the body that dealt with it was the Church of Scotland in a general sense.The young woman was then sent away out of her immediate area and put up in a home for such girls.my birth mother spent her time in a house with a familly.I was with my birth mother for 5 hours then taken away.

There is no information what so ever on your fathers name,it does not appear anywhere on your process papers (BIg brown envelope),the only person who knows that answer is your birth mother.

I have recently made contact with my birth mother and thats the only way that you can find out your biological fathers name.

having read a book written by a young midwife who worked for the sisters at a Convent in Ireland ,all i can say is that i was shocked at the way young women were treated by the Nuns.Having spoken to my birth mother she tells me that the Church of Scotland were supportive and helpfull,even to the point of getting her a job at a Childrens home to help with the emotional side of it.

lynne smith

Post by lynne smith » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:21 pm

In my working days I worked for the government agency that involved the protection of children, but private adoptions were also being done. Not many, but some. In private adoption, if the natural parent or parents approved of the situation (two religions), the adoption could take place via a lawyer. If or when the christening took place in the Catholic church, the non Catholic adopting parent had to sign and promise to bring the child up Catholic. Anyway that's what happend in my side of the world. Never, ever would a Catholic child be placed in a Protestant home and vs versa, through the government. How did it happen? A doctor, a nurse, a friend, etc. Things have really changed in the last ten or so years, there are open adoptions, yearly contacf adoptions, etc., and only if the birth mother approves. I have a by marriage nephew who found his biological father, but the biological mother refused contact. I am very happy for you that your searcfh proved to be a good experience, most do not, and it leaves a bitter taste. Good for you!! Lynne Smith