Being Successful!

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Sobil

Being Successful!

Post by Sobil » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:55 pm

I couldn't help but notice that no one seems to think they have a success story. :(

I battle every day with relatives I can't find, with records missing, with dodgy memories. But every day I am successful at helping someone else. It's the only thing that keeps me sane and makes me feel I am progressing even if my Family Tree is not! :lol:
Looking for John Robert McColl born around 1854, son of James? both shipwrights or similar possibly from Kilmacolm

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:01 pm

Lots of folk have posted success stories previously on TS. :D

It's just that this forum didn't exist until 24 hours ago :!: , foollowing a suggestion by various members.

David

Sobil

Post by Sobil » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:05 pm

Now I don't feel so daft for not having notice it before...... just daft for not knowing it wasn't there! :lol:
Looking for John Robert McColl born around 1854, son of James? both shipwrights or similar possibly from Kilmacolm

joette
Global Moderator

Success Stories

Post by joette » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:53 pm

:lol: I have many success stories but my quickest was the puzzle of my Great-Granny Waddell.
We had loooooked for her Birth for many years with no success.We knew she was illegitimate & had come to the conclusion that her Mother had been too ashamed to Register the Birth or that as her Mother was probably born in Ireland with a very common name the chances were that she had been born there & not Nitshill as she claimed.
I posted my brick wall on TalkingScot & within 24 hours had her Birth Entry in my sight :D So where the Researchers at Edinburgh had been unable to help TS came up trumps.
:cry: Being an emotional Scot I cried my eyes out & repeated the process when I found some lost cousins.
I have been searching for Janet Liddell Scott & her Husband & younger Daughter.They seemed to disappear after 1871.Checked Deaths,Marriages,Censuses with no luck.Today I thought lets check again
This time I extended the search to 1871 & Bingo there was Ann Sangster
Christie died 1871 in Milngavie(a scant few miles from my Birthplace)cause of Death Fractured Skull.I cried for the pain this must have caused her parents & that she had not had the marriage & children I had imagined for her.Also salutory lesson Include Census year when searching.
I also found my GGAunts Births & realised that there had been four girls & not three.One was born 1855 so lots of info. :cry: I had found my GGrans marriage & one of her sisters so what of the other two?
Both died of whooping cough within two days of each other aged 5months & 3 years with concurrent Death Entries(could have saved 5 credits if Id noticed)
There must have been an epidemic at the time as there were several deaths in Kirkhill/Penicuik at this time from Whooping Cough.So SUCCESS
but :cry: :cry: :cry:
Also discovered the Marriage,Birth of her Children & her eventuall Death at the ripe old age of 81 of the surviving sister of the four.It helped that she married someone with an uncommon surname & remained in Kirkhill,Penicuik all her life.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins