Glasgow to New York 1923

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Tracey
Global Moderator

Glasgow to New York 1923

Post by Tracey » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:20 pm

I have found on Scottish Emigration Database what could be one of mine going to New York from Glasgow 27th January 1923 on the ship Columbia. I have looked on Ellis Island but cant see this particular manifest. If someone could kindly look on Ancestry and if they find it tell me what it says please.
His name is Robert Casey age 29. It says his address is 15 Alison Place Port Glasgow Renfrewshire and his occupation is a Joiner.

Thank you.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

gzmcwherter

Post by gzmcwherter » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:30 am

There's a Robert Carey listed. (Typed not handwritten). Age 29, Joiner, father Mr. John Carey @ 15 Allison Place Port Glasgow...
Regards,
Gina

morgano

Post by morgano » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:42 am

It's a Robert Carey (as typed in NY, anyway):

Aged 29; male, single, joiner, able to read; British nationality; "Scotch" race. Last permanent residence: Port Glasgow, Scotland. Father: Mr John Carey (address as in your post). Final destination: Brooklyn. Paid for his own passage to NY. Never previously in the US. Going to a friend: Alexander McGhee, 946, 42nd St, Brooklyn.

No intention to return to GB.
Intends to remain permanently in US.
Intends to become a citizen of US.
Never in prison or almshouse.
Not a polygamist.
Not an anarchist.
Doesn't believe in the violent overthrow of the US Government.
Not "coming by reason of any offer, solicitation, promise, or agreement, expressed or implied, to labor in the United States."
Good condition of mental and physical health.
Not "deformed or crippled".
Complexion: dark. Hair: brown. Eyes: black.
No identifying marks.
Place of birth: Port Glasgow, Scotland.

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:06 am

Thanks to both of you for looking.
Well, going back to Ellis Island it clearly says Carey. With the information supplied i doubt this is one of mine now but may just email the origianl source just to see what they say about the name.

Many thanks again
Tracey
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:08 am

Hi Tracey,

You didn't say what specifics made you think this Robert Casey was yours, but there is also a Robert S. Casey on the Canadian Passenger List arriving in 1929.

Robert S Casey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893
Birth Country: Scotland
Date of Arrival: 2 Jun 1929
Vessel: Andania
Search Ship Database: View the 'Andania' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: T-14753

If this one is of interest, I'll have a look at the original for you.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:38 pm

Hello Carol

My research lateley has been concentrated mostly on my Irish Caseys in Glasgow and i have now managed to get something on all of them - them being my gt grandfathers siblings. A few of his brothers are found on ships to America and most recently i found his brother Robert b1868 going to America 1910, he was a widow at this time . This Robert had a son also named Robert b1895 and so far i cant find 1901 census, marriage, death (yet) on SP for him so i looked on Scottish Emigration Database and Ellis Island to see if it was possible that he may have also gone accross the pond......the rest is where my first post begins.
The Robert S Casey - mine didnt have an "S" as a middle name - or any middle name come to that.

Thanks
Tracey