LOOKING FOR A SAILOR!

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Sobil

LOOKING FOR A SAILOR!

Post by Sobil » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:04 pm

Input welcome.

I understand there is a website somewhere that holds historical data on crews of british vessels (merchant marine). I'm looking for 1850-1930. Is there such a thing? I have seen the odd census listing but haven't managed to find a dedicated site.

:roll:

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:11 pm

Sobil

As a first step have a look at The National Maritime Museum's site at http://www.nmm.ac.uk/

There's a whole lot of info, but spread across a variety of archives.

The following are among the best on the subject for UK records.

My Ancestor was a Merchant Seaman, Christopher T Watts & Michael J Watts

Records of Merchant Shipping and Shipping, Kelvin Smith, Christopher T Watts & Michael J Watts

David

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:15 pm

Sobil
Or you could look on
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search.asp

In word or phrase enter sir name then initials and in the department or series code, enter BT372.
......just passing on a link that was passed to me that is very helpful If this isnt the correct link look some more as i am looking for my gt grandfather who would have served between the late 1880,s to........? I have been to Greenwich and as far as im aware they only hold records for the years ending 05 - for me this is lucky as i know which ship and where he was in 1905. But i could be wrong and open to correction !

Good luck
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Sobil

Post by Sobil » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:14 am

David,

"My Grandmother was a Watts" but that's another line for another day. I will pass the info to my cousin who I believe is concentrating on finding information on the shipwreck as it seems someone will have to do some leg work now.

I tried Tracy's link which was great, I am sure one or more are related.

I still can't find any record of an Edward McColl in the merchant marine circa 1910-1930 is there a site for smugglers and pirates? If he was a bit of a rascal perhaps I should start looking at prison records!

Thanks a lot :lol:

Sobil
Looking for John Robert McColl born around 1854, son of James? both shipwrights or similar possibly from Kilmacolm

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:51 am

And this is another place to look ........... found by Sobil and Lesley on another thread.

http://www.mun.ca/mha/research/principalrecords.php

About the Archive

Mandate

The Maritime History Archive collects and preserves original documents and copies of documents relating to the history of sea based activities in the north Atlantic region.

The archive is located in the Henrietta Harvey (Mathematics) building on the campus of Memorial University of Newfoundland in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador.

David

kilmuir23

Post by kilmuir23 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:06 pm

:D :D :D
A very big thank you to Tracey for posting the link for The National Archives, complete with instructions.
I have just received in the post this morning photocopies of my dad's seamans certificate, complete with photos and names of the ships he served on.
Although I knew he was in the Merchant Navy after he left the R.N. I didn't know what ships or even what type except that at one stage he was on the " Weather Boats ".Now I can try and find out armed with the name of the ships.
So once again Tracey thank you \:D/ \:D/

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:15 pm

Hello kilmuir23

Glad to have helped :D Its so frustrating looking through N/A and i still find it complicated with all the reference numbers :? But a very kind man helped me once through this maze and i have stuck to his formula,s so its all thanks to him !

Im really pleased you found who you were looking for
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings