poor house

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

anner

poor house

Post by anner » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:01 pm

Hi all,
Can anyone say where the records are held for Dundee Combination PoorHouse. My gggggrandmother was in there sometime after 1881 when her husband died, I have her there on the 1891 there. In 1897 she died at the Parochial Hospital, Dundee. Would the Parochial Hospital have been part of the poor House.

Many Thanks
Anne
Researching Wilson, Reid, S(c)later and Ross in Glasgow. Mcgregor, Ross, White, Pirie, Gaffney, and Math(i)e(w)son and Ross in Dundee and Perth.
Yorkshire: Butterworth, Todd, Angell, Bearpark and Nutbrown. To name but a few.

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:19 pm

Hi anner,

Have a look here

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36

Regards
Marilyn

anner

Post by anner » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:09 pm

Hello and thank you Marilyn. I had loked through there earlier, but I still cant work out where the records would be held.
I think I may be being a bit thick. :?
Again Thanks

Regards
Anne.
Researching Wilson, Reid, S(c)later and Ross in Glasgow. Mcgregor, Ross, White, Pirie, Gaffney, and Math(i)e(w)son and Ross in Dundee and Perth.

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:20 pm

Hi Anne,

Did you look here?
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html ... ndee.shtml

Regards,
Anne H

nelmit

Re: poor house

Post by nelmit » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:21 pm

anner wrote:Hi all,
Can anyone say where the records are held for Dundee Combination PoorHouse. My gggggrandmother was in there sometime after 1881 when her husband died, I have her there on the 1891 there. In 1897 she died at the Parochial Hospital, Dundee. Would the Parochial Hospital have been part of the poor House.

Many Thanks
Anne
I think you may be out of luck with your time span but you should contact 'The Friends of Dundee City Archives' who have indexed the records they hold.

http://www.fdca.org.uk/poor_index.htm

Kind regards,
Annette M

anner

Post by anner » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:29 am

Hi Anne and Annette,
Thanks for your replies I will certainly look at both of those links. I had looked at the Friends of Dundee City Archives earlier this evening so will send them an email today.

Again Thanks.

Regards
Anne.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:45 am

Hi Anne
As far as I'm aware the Dundee Poorhouse records are held at Dundee City Archives.
http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/archive/

Best wishes
Lesley

anner

Post by anner » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:50 am

Hi Lesley,
Thank you for that. I have just been looking at that site, really interesting, I am going to phone them to see if they will look for Margaret for me. I am living in hampshire and wont be able to get to Scotland until next year at the earliest as my daughter has just started secondary school.
So I hope they can do a look up for me. I have to say peolple on here are great with their quick replies, and pointing in the right direction. :)

Regards
Anne.