Lock Hospital

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

rosie

Lock Hospital

Post by rosie » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi
Just got a poor law application for one of my ancestors and it states on it that she had syphillis and had been turned away from the Lock Hospital :? and on the next page it stated that "she had been on the streets" for 15 months .
As she had a fixed address in Lyon st i can only assume with her condition and that statement that she had been a prostitute :( I've never heard of a Lock Hospital what is it , and why would they turn her away :? it does state the reason for this but it is impossible to read, it also says that her previous employment was at Bells Pottery, i have looked at when they closed and it was a year before my ancestors poor law application so i'm guessing she fell on very hard times :cry:
SEARCHING: CLARK(DUMBARTONSHIRE AND IRELAND )DONNELLY(LANARK) BAIRD( LANARK AND NEWKILPTRICK)COWAN(ANDERSTON AND IRELAND)COOK( ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS)ANGUS(ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS) GAULT or GALT( PARTICK AND NEWKILPATRICK)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi Rosie,

To quote from:
http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/nov2000.html

In 1859 the Magdalene Asylum evolved into the Magdalene Institution, and, as a result of the Glasgow System became increasingly busy. The term Glasgow System encompasses the Contagious Diseases Act (whereby a woman could be forced by plain clothes policemen to be tested for venereal diseases; if she refused, she could be brought in front of court having to prove that she did not sleep with men), the Lock Hospital (where women were treated for venereal diseases and were presumed to be 'prostitutes') and the Magdalene Institute. The Magdalene had specific criteria for their entrants in that they had to be free from syphilis, not pregnant, to be newly 'fallen' and willing to submit to discipline. The women were taught how to support themselves honestly through industrial training, mostly working in laundries in the institute. A very strong emphasis was placed on Christianity, partly in order to make the ladies realise that they were sinners. Emphasis was also placed on self-sacrifice and duty, therefore paralleling Victorian class hierarchy, sanctioned female inferiority and self-abrogation. The inmates through industrial work and religion would 'learn' their appropriate class and gender roles.

There is more on thie webpage concerning the Lock Hospital, but it certainly seems that your assumption was probably right - that she had been a prostitute.

All the best,

AndrewP

rosie

Post by rosie » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi Andrew
Thanks very much for the information, it's hard to believe that a christian intitute could be so harsh and have so little compassion , :shock: but she did go on to marry and was loved very much, so it was a happy ending in the end :D

Thankyou
Rosie
SEARCHING: CLARK(DUMBARTONSHIRE AND IRELAND )DONNELLY(LANARK) BAIRD( LANARK AND NEWKILPTRICK)COWAN(ANDERSTON AND IRELAND)COOK( ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS)ANGUS(ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS) GAULT or GALT( PARTICK AND NEWKILPATRICK)

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:35 pm

Hi Rosie
Relieved to hear that her life turned out OK. I think it was so very much easier in those days to hit hard times and end up being exploited in one way or another, especially if you were far from home and did not have the support of a family network as many people who moved into the cites were in those days. There were fewer safety nets then, I doubt there was anywhere to go for help, support or advice, so many who had hit hard times probably found it hard to climb out of the poverty they found themselves in, despite hard work and their best efforts.

Best wishes
Lesley

rosie

Post by rosie » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:53 pm

Yes I think your right Lesley, my ancestor did have family, but at that time they seemed to be as bad off as she was, her mum was in Barnhill poorhouse and her dad was in Garscube Road model it appears that she's not had the best start to life, my research shows she's been in and out of the poorhouse since she's been young .

Thanks
Rosie :)

scotia

Re: Lock Hospital

Post by scotia » Sun May 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Dark secrets of hospital that city pretended didn't exist.

A LIBRARIAN'S research has pieced together the history of one of Glasgow's best kept secrets, the Lock Hospital for ''dangerous females'' with sexually transmitted diseases. For five years, Mrs Anna Forrest poured in vain over Glasgow's borough records, the city planning office notes, and records of the city's hospitals, before concluding her account of the ''non-existent'' place.

The 48-year-old librarian at Glasgow's Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons says she wants to give a voice to those so called dangerous women who were made scapegoats for the spread of venereal diseases, which were as virulent killers as cholera and typhus. ''When I first started looking, I was told that the hospital never existed,'' she said. ''It became a mission to find out more and let the public know what happened to these women and young girls.'' Polite society did not want to know when the proposal to open a VD clinic for females was considered in 1805, a feeling reflected in the lack of documentation about the building. It was called Lock. The name was thought to either derive from the old English word loke, associated with a leper house, or the French loque which was a bandage used for leprosy. Like lepers, those with VD were shunned. Initially, arguments on whether it should be built at all raged between the Glaswegian medical profession, the clergy, and traders of the time. Just as HIV has spread fear and prejudice through society of the late twentieth century, syphilis was seen as a punishment from God. Women were called the carriers and spreaders of disease, but there were no health provisions made for them. Indeed, throughout the 1700s, it was thought finding a cure would only encourage them to go out and sin again. In 1598, the Glasgow kirk session and town councils of the time had ordered drastic quarantine measures. Men and women who were sick were rounded up in Glasgow Green. They were sent outside the city walls and ordered never to return. As females were considered the carriers, their shame was burned on to their faces with branding irons. There was no medical provision for either sex until 1733, when Glasgow's Town Hospital in Clyde Street was established: but only for the ''deserving poor'', which meant no one with the pox, or VD - or women. The Town Hospital was eventually used as an insane asylum, overrun by men in the last stages of syphilis. By 1790, a small unit for women was set up in Glasgow at the university, but it admitted only pregnant women. There were still no health provisions for women with VD. When the Napoleonic war broke out, the Gallowgate Barracks were established in the city and Glasgow Royal Infirmary was opened. Such was the consequent spread of disease due to soldiers sleeping with the ''sporting ladies'' of the town that certain wards were used only to treat the military. GRI was still not taking in pregnant or diseased women or children. After much debate, the Lock Hospital for women was established in 1805. The dwelling house opened at 151 Rottenrow Lane with 11 beds, but did not exist in the medical establishment records of the time. It used mercury as a treatment - popular at the time but ultimately toxic to the patient. Many women entering the Lock were never seen again and those entering were not allowed to leave until their treatment, often lasting for months, was over. Many tried to break out. Some were moved eventually to the nearby insane asylum as syphilitic madness and mercury poisoning ravaged their bodies. It was 1807 before the city officially recognised the Lock. By 1846, the hospital was moved to new premises at 41 Rottenrow. Child victims of abuse and incest were being discovered in larger and larger numbers but Victorian society found the fact impossible to admit. One Lock doctor is on record as saying a seven-year-old girl had ''given the illness to herself''. But from 1925, new treatment centres were opening up for venereal disease patients. Medicines were improving and in 1940 the Lock Hospitals annual reports showed the number of patients on the decline. Seven years later the building's funds were transferred to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. It was 1955 when the Lock was finally demolished and the walls which held the secrets and pain of thousands of Scots women were gone forever.

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Sun May 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Scotia Welcome to Talking Scot .
Thanks for that link very interesting reading.I have never heard of Lock Hospital before. :oops: but if it was one of Glasgow's "dirty little secrets" maybe not so embarrassing.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

scotia

Post by scotia » Sun May 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Thank you for the welcome joette, I also came across this.

They called it the Lock, and it was a fate worse than death.

http://news.scotsman.com/ViewArticle.as ... id=2300164

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun May 09, 2010 8:09 pm

A friend's ancestor spent many years in and out of The Lock and The Magdalene Institution in the late 19th and early 20th century. Coincidently her daughter (who she abandoned at birth and never knew her mother) also spent time there.

The Magdalene archives can be accessed at The Mitchell.

I found this article from 1914 interesting.

Regards,
Annette

Alan SHARP

(Lock Hospital) Out on the street.

Post by Alan SHARP » Sun May 09, 2010 10:06 pm

1834 Statistical Accounts of Scotland.
© Edinburgh & Glasgow Universities
A paragraph from Dumbartonshire page 108 shows the concerns of the Minister about his Parish, and the treatment of their youth when seeking employment in the City.

......”The prevalent diseases are rheumatic and pulmonary affections, which may be accounted for by the humidity of the climate, the nature and situation of the dwellings. Fevers do not frequently occur, and when they do, are traceable in almost all cases to infection from without the isle, as it is called, and are conveyed sometimes under circumstances that reflect but little credit on the principals and feelings of the wealthier classes of our city population. The evil alluded to, and from which the parish occasionally suffers, is of the following kind : There are a great number of young women from this parish employed as domestic servants in the contiguous towns, more especially in Glasgow. As may be expected, not a few of these are from time to time seized with fevers and other infectious disorders : and though they are well known to be both faithful and active domestics, yet no sooner are they unfit for their labour, than they are often hurried away from the families in whose service they have caught the infection, without any attendant, sometimes without any arrangement for their safety or comfort having ever been attempted. In this diseased and distressed condition they are left to find their way home as they best can : though symptoms of their malady are thus highly aggravated by undue exertion and exposure; and with a diminished likelihood of recovery to themselves, they are made the vehicles of conveying disease, in it’s most virulent forms, to the small, and damp, and often crowded cottages of their native parishes.”..........

One minute gainfully employed as a domestic servant, and next out on the street to fend for themselves as best they can. The harsh realities of life, there and then.

Alan SHARP.

Edit [isle] into italics as per original. AS.