Glasgow City Poorhouse: Dr John Jones

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

jimmain27

Glasgow City Poorhouse: Dr John Jones

Post by jimmain27 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:29 pm

Help, please.
My brother-in-law's great grandfather was Dr John Jones LFPSG who died of cerebral memingitis at Glasgow City Poorhouse on 27 June 1895, aged 38. Initially it was suggested that he may have been on the staff of the Poorhouse but now it appears that he was a pauper!
Can anyone help please. Why did he enter the Poorhouse? Was there a newspaper report of what must have been an unusual death?
Any help or advice would be very gratefully received
Jim

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Glasgow City Poorhouse: Dr John Jones

Post by SarahND » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:05 am

Hello Jim and [TS_welcome]
Not sure where you are located, but we have several members who go regularly to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow where the poorhouse records are housed. Someone may be able to look for you or suggest how to send for the records yourself.

If you have access to the 19th century British Newspapers collection you might be able to find a reference to his death in the Glasgow Herald.

All the best,
Sarah

jimmain27

Post by jimmain27 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:36 am

Dear Sarah
Thank you very much. I'm in Wiltshire so, I'm afraid, very far from Glasgow. I am trying newspapers but any local assistance would be most gratefully received (particularly from my b-in-l who has MS).
Thank you
Jim =D>

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:26 am

Hello Jim,

I guess that LFPSG means ‘Licentiate of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow’. Here’s a list of University of Glasgow graduates but I don’t know whether it’s relevant. http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/u ... -hci.shtml

I had a good look in the 19C newspapers, at least the Scottish ones, but didn’t have any luck. I guess that having a profession and letters after your name doesn’t guarantee you’ll be noticed when you die, especially in a poorhouse. Whether he made the newspapers may depend on whether he had made a name for himself and whether he had family, friends, or colleagues who wished to advertise his loss.

Residents of Wiltshire have access to the 19C newspapers. http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/leisureandc ... ources.htm

It can certainly be frustrating when you expect to find something but it’s not showing any signs of being there. Maybe ignoring the search facility and just doing a slow trawl through the online Glasgow Herald pages for the week or so after his death could produce a result.

All the best,
Alan

jimmain27

Post by jimmain27 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:47 am

Dear Alan
Thank you. There does not appear to be a Glasgow Herald for 1895 in the Wiltshire archive but I am very grateful for the reference, but I soldier on. The wonders of the web to discuss this with someone so far from here!
Sincerely
Jim

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:29 am

Back again Jim,

I’m not sure now whether you’ve tried the online newspapers, because I wasn’t talking about the paper copies of the Glasgow Herald. Your Wiltshire Library card number will probably give you online access to the 19th Century British Library Newspapers.

Try you number on this page, if it doesn’t work check with the Library for a proper online access card next time you’re there. If you can’t get there give them a ring. http://infotrac.galegroup.com/galenet/w ... n&sserv=no

Hopefully, you’ll be able to read every copy of the Glasgow Herald from the 1840s to 1900 without leaving home, plus at least another 50 UK newspapers.

See how you go with that,
All the best,
Alan

Lindsay

Post by Lindsay » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:30 pm

I'm assuming he was actually from Scotland? There is a John Jones in the 1887 Medical Register in Glasgow who had the same qualifications, but there are a number of other John Jones from Wales and England who also have this qualification.
John Jones
Address 62, New road, Parkhead, Glasgow
Date and place of registration 1881, Nov 17., S. [NB S = Scotland]
Qualification Lic. Fac. Phys. Surg., Glas., 1881

He is also in the 1891 and 1895 registers under the same address & other details. In the 1883 register he is in under address Unthark road, Bellshill, Lanarkshire [assume this should be Unthank Rd]

I couldn't see this Glasgow John in the next Medical Register on ancestry which is 1899 so I'm hoping this is your man. Whatever happened for him to be in the poorhouse, he was still on the register in 1895.
Lindsay

jimmain27

Post by jimmain27 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:17 am

Dear Lindsay
Marvellous - that's him!
He married on 13 April 1884 Agnes Struthers McConnell & had 2 children. In the 1891 census he was at his parents' address at Mordaunt Street, in the Bridgton area of Glasgow and she was with her parents at Thompson Street, Glasgow. Whether or not they were separated or were simply in 2 different areas on that night we are not sure (she did not remarry - John Main, architect - until some 11 years after his death).
Dr John was born in Main Street, Bridgton on 3 February 1857. the son of a power loom tenter, as was his grandfather. His sister was a power loom weaver. How - or why, - I wonder, did he become a doctor.
I am very grateful for your marvellous help.
Very sincerely
Jim :D

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:34 am

jimmain27 wrote:Help, please.
My brother-in-law's great grandfather was Dr John Jones LFPSG who died of cerebral memingitis at Glasgow City Poorhouse on 27 June 1895, aged 38. Initially it was suggested that he may have been on the staff of the Poorhouse but now it appears that he was a pauper!
Can anyone help please. Why did he enter the Poorhouse? Was there a newspaper report of what must have been an unusual death?
Any help or advice would be very gratefully received
Jim
Hello Jim,

Ill have a look for his application next time I'm at The Mitchell.

Regards,
Annette

jimmain27

Post by jimmain27 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:36 am

Dear Annette
Thank you very much - that would be wonderful.
Sincerely
Jim