Glasgow City Poorhouse: Dr John Jones

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

jimmain27

Re: Glasgow City Poorhouse: Dr John Jones

Post by jimmain27 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:40 am

Dear Annette
I wonder if you are right! I have a copy (not a facsimile) of the death certificate for the District of St Rollax in the County of Lanark which says that he died in the Poorhouse. It refers to him as 'pauper' but if there is no indication that he applied as such, is there, I wonder, a list of working doctors there? I wonder if the certificate proper will differ from the transcription? I will try to get one.
Thank you very much for your help
Sincerely
Jim

Jantyb1

Post by Jantyb1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi Jim
came across your search last night and read it all very interesting did you solve the riddle of him being a pauper? I would love to know i did a bit of research and found some clues you could contact me and I will let you know what I found
regards Janet

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:58 pm

Hello Jantyb1 and [TS_welcome]

Jim hasn't been on the forum since September 2010, but let's hope he has kept the same email address and will get a notification of your post!

Best wishes,
Sarah

WeeLee

Post by WeeLee » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:21 pm

Hoping I’m not coming too late to this post! So we’ve just starting doing the family tree and starting with my dads side of the family. My dads great grandmother was Agnes struthers McConnell, married to Dr John Jones, and then James Main. My dad is descended from Johns son Robert Jones. We have burial plot certificate for the Mconnells and possibly Jones (I’m not 100% sure- think it’s William McConnell Jones name on it), which would have been John Jones brother - lairs are at Glasgow southern necropolis). Anyway, we have certificates relating to dr John Jones...again one in Latin I think. We also have a certificate allowing him to be a freeman citizen of Glasgow. I’ve also come across the record that states he died in the poorhouse but we are none the wiser. Dad does not know why.....and we would be keen to find out a lot more about John Jones. I’d also love to know a bit more about James Main, Agnes second husband. We have a certificate signed by James (original signature), presented to sir William Arrol on completion of the forth bridge.

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:55 am

Hello WeeLee and welcome to TalkingScot.

I’ll take a chance on this because of the bridge connection.

1905/06 Glasgow directory:
Main, James A. (of A. & J. Main & Co., Ltd.), 3 Marchmont ter., Kelvinside.
https://archive.org/details/postofficea ... a/page/502

There’s more about the company here. https://www.mackintosh-architecture.gla ... d=MainAJCo

If he’s your fellow he died in 1937. The Scotsman, January 1, 1938, has a report on the value of his estate as follows.
Main, James Alexander, structural engineer late of A. & J. Main & Co., (Ltd.), Possilpark, Glasgow, and Australia House, Strand, London, who resided sometime at Langhurst, Chiddingfold, Wormley, Godalming, Surrey, and latterly at 46 Campdenhill Court, London (a native of Scotland). £23,961.

Obit in the The Times (London), Thursday, February 18, 1937
MAIN.—On Feb. 15, 1937, after an operation, JAMES ALEXANDER MAIN, of 46 Campden Hill Court, W.8. dearly loved husband of Daisy Main, and son of the late James A. R. Main, founder of A. and J. Main and Co., Ltd., Glasgow. Cremation, Golders Green to-morrow (Friday), 12 o’clock noon. No flowers.

No luck with Dr. John Jones. In the 1886/87 Glasgow directory he is listed as John Jones, surgeon, at 27A Westmuir Street, Parkhead, with a home address at 62 New road. He seems to have been there for only a few years then gone off the radar. By 1892/93 there’s a Dr Russell at 27A.
https://archive.org/details/postofficea ... a/page/340

Hope that’s your Mr. Main,
Alan

WeeLee

Post by WeeLee » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:11 pm

Sorry to be so slow in responding - thank you so much for the info on Main and Jones!

The bridge connection certainly makes sense, so I will have a look into. Really appreciated. I know he was married to my great great great great gran - Agnes struthers McConnell. (It was her second marriage after Dr John Jones), now I'm wondering who daisy was!

Cheers!

Lee

Jantyb1

Post by Jantyb1 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:16 am

William McConnell Jones was john jones son, Roberts brother not johns brother Robert jones born 7/6/1885 amd William McConnell Jones born 7/10 1888