Glasgow City Poorhouse: Dr John Jones

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

carlineric

Re: Glasgow City Poorhouse: Dr John Jones

Post by carlineric » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi Jim

His qualification sparked a bit of interest as I have come across it before and could not work out what it meant. I have found out from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow website that the Licentiate was given to a candidate who had passed the Triple Qualification. This was instituted in 1884 and was granted by the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and the Faculty of Physicians of Glasgow. Students in Glasgow would study in extramural colleges such as Anderson's College Medical School or St Mungo's College and could combine this with attendance at University of Glasgow classes or study elsewhere before receiving their licence. It would be worth contacting RPCSG as they hold the records of those who received the triple qualification. I have a 2nd great uncle who was a miner but went to Edinburgh University Medical School and qualified as a doctor, the records for him from the University filled in a few holes about him and were of interest as they detailed which classes he attended and who taught him.

Regards
Eric
Eric

jimmain27

Post by jimmain27 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:15 pm

Eric
Thank you. It appears that he registered in 1881 so the 1884 date is confusing. My brother-in-law has his diploma so I will ask him to send me a photo of it.
Whatever his qualification his death in the Poorhouse is the real puzzle. Could he really have been a pauper? If so, why?
Fascinating!!
Jim

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:58 pm

Glasgow University graduates are online but I'm not seeing anything about your John in 1881.

Lindsay

Post by Lindsay » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:00 pm

I think there is some confusion about the dates of licentiates here. The Royal College website states the following:
"Licentiates
The grade of "licentiate" was instituted in 1785 to allow the admission of country practitioners. Details about such licentiates may be gained from the Register of Single Licentiates, 1815-1959 in the College Archive."
http://www.rcpsg.ac.uk/FellowsandMember ... octor.aspx

Your man only had a single licentiate so the 1881 date is perfectly OK.
Lindsay

jimmain27

Post by jimmain27 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:27 am

Lindsay
Very clear - thank you.
Jim

jimmain27

Post by jimmain27 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:39 pm

I wonder if anyone has found my Dr John Jones? Today I received copies of his Diploma or License (its in Latin & I need to have it translated) together with a Diploma to practise Midwifery.
Are they of interest to anyone? Although they are poor copies I feel sure I could reproduce them adequately.
Hopefully
Jim

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi Jim,

Will this Latin to English Translator help

http://www.stars21.com/translator/latin_to_english.html

or you can try Yahoo's Babel Fish

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Regards
Marilyn

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:16 am

Hello Jim,

You could try searching in Google and separately in Google Books for particular phrases, of maybe three or four words, that appear in the document. Enclose them within quotes. If you’re lucky someone may have already ‘been there done that’ and you may find a transcription of the text, or even a translation.

Alan

jimmain27

Post by jimmain27 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:41 am

Very many thanks to you both
Sincerely
Jim

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:09 am

jimmain27 wrote:Help, please.
My brother-in-law's great grandfather was Dr John Jones LFPSG who died of cerebral memingitis at Glasgow City Poorhouse on 27 June 1895, aged 38. Initially it was suggested that he may have been on the staff of the Poorhouse but now it appears that he was a pauper!
Can anyone help please. Why did he enter the Poorhouse? Was there a newspaper report of what must have been an unusual death?
Any help or advice would be very gratefully received
Jim

Well I had a look at the index and couldn't see any sign of an application that would refer to your John Jones so I wonder if he was indeed a member of staff. :?

Have you seen the actual death certificate?

Regards,
Annette