Hector McNeil - Paisley Poorhouse 1874

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

darylrodger

Hector McNeil - Paisley Poorhouse 1874

Post by darylrodger » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:56 am

Hi,

I was hoping someone could tell me where my ancestor could be buried if they died in a poorhouse.

My ancestor Hector McNeill died on 15 Jan 1874 aged 78 in the Paisley Poorhouse, Renfrewshire.
Would he have been buried within the grounds, or by the family somewhere in Paisley ?

Regards,

Daryl

Russell

Re: Hector McNeil - Paisley Poorhouse 1874

Post by Russell » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi Daryl
A couple of ours died in Paisley Poorhouse and they were all buried in Woodside Cemetery which opened in 1845. It is a private cemetery and has kept excellent records. If you can give them a date they are able to produce the original Register for Poorhouse Deaths. It doesn't have any real detail though other than to confirm the burial date.
Their address is :- Paisley Cemetery Company
46 Broomlands street
Paisley PA1 2NP
They don't appear to have an e-mail address.
We called in in person and they gave us loads of information on umpteen of my wife's ancestors - more than even we had asked for - as they gave all the burials in those lairs. Amazingly these days there was no charge.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

darylrodger

Post by darylrodger » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Hi Russell,

Many thanks for that info. I have sent them an email regarding Hector's burial.
I did send a email to Renfrewshire council earlier, but they couldn't find any mention of
a McNeill anywhere, so maybe he's in Woodside. I live in hope !

Regards,

Daryl

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi Daryl,

Did he have a 'usual residence' prior to the Poorhouse, or do you know if any of his family were around the local area. I have a relation who died in an asylum, but the family took him home for burial with his wife. One of the sons owned some property nearby, so presumably they could afford it.

Arkleston Cemetery is also in Paisley (to the left of the M8 as you approach the junction before the airport), but this apparently didn't open until 1902.

If Hector was Catholic and had family in the area, they may have had a plot in a Catholic cemetery. I think the nearest one might be St Convals on Glasgow Road, Barrhead. Contact details here http://www.rcdop.org.uk/index.cfm?load=page&page=171

Have you tried contacting the local studies folk at Paisley Central Library - they may have some local knowledge that may help narrow down your search.

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Hawkhead Cemetery in Hawkhead Road in Paisley also has Roman Catholic burials but I haven't checked their opening date yet.