poorhouse/workhouse.....

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Hil

poorhouse/workhouse.....

Post by Hil » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:08 pm

My nan & five of her siblings aged between about 3 & 11 were sent to a workhouse or poorhouse around 1911. They lived in Saltburn which is just outside of Invergordon.
You people here are so helpful, ok if I ask a few questions & see what you can come up with?? :wink:
Any idea where they would have been sent? would it have been in the same area?
Is there any difference between a workhouse & a poorhouse, family stories have used both words?
Did poorhouses take in kids who parents just couldn't afford them for a while? These six kids were the "middle" children of the family, there were 16 of them & their parents did not go with them. A 2 yr old sister was sent to relatives & the baby would have been born somewhere around this time.
Sometimes oz seems so far away from the highlands of scotland to find out info. I love being able to come & read about peoples local knowledge & their memories.
Thanks
Hil
seeking Mitchell, Munro, Ross, Sutherland, Douglas, Eisthen

nelmit

Re: poorhouse/workhouse

Post by nelmit » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:01 pm

Hil wrote:My nan & five of her siblings aged between about 3 & 11 were sent to a workhouse or poorhouse around 1911. They lived in Saltburn which is just outside of Invergordon.
You people here are so helpful, ok if I ask a few questions & see what you can come up with?? :wink:
Any idea where they would have been sent? would it have been in the same area?
Is there any difference between a workhouse & a poorhouse, family stories have used both words?
Did poorhouses take in kids who parents just couldn't afford them for a while? These six kids were the "middle" children of the family, there were 16 of them & their parents did not go with them. A 2 yr old sister was sent to relatives & the baby would have been born somewhere around this time.
Sometimes oz seems so far away from the highlands of scotland to find out info. I love being able to come & read about peoples local knowledge & their memories.
Thanks
Hil
Hello Hil,

If you follow the 'sources' link at the top of the page you will find information on poorhouses.

If I were you I'd contact the Highland Archives as they will hold records of the poorhouses and hopefully you will find your gran's application.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/educ/publics ... rchive.htm

Hope this helps,

Annette M

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:03 pm

Good morning Hil

I don't have the answer to your question, but thought you might enjoy the following site:
www.northernsights.net

Click on the picture that comes up and you'll get a list of towns/villages/countryside, including several photos of Salltburn and Invergordon.

Best wishes
Catriona

TD

Hil

Post by Hil » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:08 pm

thank you catriona, I have seen that web site, the photos are awesome. I'm really considering making a trip over there in 3 or 4 years time but I'm worried how long I'd have to go for.............between visiting rellies & doing heaps of research..............maybe I should move over there for a year :shock:
Hil
seeking Mitchell, Munro, Ross, Sutherland, Douglas, Eisthen