Auchenlodment House

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

katjw1

Auchenlodment House

Post by katjw1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:17 pm

I'm trying to track down any information at all about a relative who I have been told gave birth in 1922. Margaret Douglas apparently was sent to Auchenlodment House in Elderslie, a place for unmarried mothers. Apparently the baby was adopted out - I don't have any more information than that. In fact I haven't been able to find any info on the house either, other than it may be what is now known as Adams House which is a residential care home. I'm hoping that as the birth occurred in an institution there may be records available somewhere but I don't have a DOB, a name or even what sex the baby was - if it even survived. The mother would have been around 22yrs old, and there's mention that the father disputed paternity. Would anyone have any ideas where to go from here?

katjw1

Re: Auchentorlie House

Post by katjw1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:44 pm

I was told the wrong information - change Auchenlodment for Auchentorlie House in Paisley... I'm finding a bit more with that in the search engine!

WilmaM

Re: Auchenlodment House

Post by WilmaM » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:20 pm

there's a little about it on a previous thread here:
viewtopic.php?t=17725

The Workhouse page http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Paisley/
says: Auchentorlie House was on Seedhill Road and was used as a children's home from 1910.

on this map: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=1 ... rs=170&b=1

The St Margaret's house/hospital refered to in the canmore link is in a different part of town.

Paisley museum may be able to help as they hold the poor law records - but as the time period is less than 100 years ago,
I doubt you'll get any information.
Wilma

katjw1

Post by katjw1 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:00 am

Thank you Wilma,

The poor law records was how the adoption was discovered, the existence of this birth was unknown until then. We can't find a birth record so I'm assuming the birth may have been recorded under the new parents name - I'm wondering if this is a possibility?

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:03 am

Yes as I understand it, adoption records are sealed and only the new name is searchable to the general public, and only those directly involved would be able to access any further info.

Though the new index system on SP may have a loophole or two, as I found someone indexed under both names recently.
Wilma

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:39 pm

WilmaM wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:03 am
Yes as I understand it, adoption records are sealed and only the new name is searchable to the general public, and only those directly involved would be able to access any further info.

Though the new index system on SP may have a loophole or two, as I found someone indexed under both names recently.
The problem here is that the birth is stated as being in 1922 - The Adoption procedure we now know did not come into effect in Scotland until 1930
~RJ Paton~

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:18 pm

Falkyrn wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:39 pm

The problem here is that the birth is stated as being in 1922 - The Adoption procedure we now know did not come into effect in Scotland until 1930
ah in that case it would likely depend on who arranged things, if any formal proceedings at all, sometimes they were just absorbed into the extended family.
Wilma