Astral House, Gray Road, Liff, Angus, Scotland.

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Moray_Lass

Re: Astral House, Gray Road, Liff, Angus, Scotland.

Post by Moray_Lass » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:49 pm

Huntly is much further north, near the border with Moray - so you are lookin at more than one Astral House.
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

ChipChip

Post by ChipChip » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:10 am

Moray_Lass,
Welcome to the Astral Club.
I realise that your point is related to the post by 'Currie'. However, I don't think that any of us has an issue with the possibility that there was/is more than one Astral House in Scotland.
See my post to him which follows.

Currie,
Thank you for your interesting response.
Since receiving it I have carried out other investigations which have not reached a specific conclusion. I have not downloaded the actual newspaper items to get all the detail but it seems fairly clear that there was a similar place called Astral House in Huntly, Aberdeenshire. Aberdeen is about 65 miles north of Dundee and Huntly is about 40 miles northwest of Aberdeen. A general search on the internet does not seem to bring up the Huntly premises and that is why I was unaware of it.
The former counties of Angus and Aberdeen were next door to each other. Although they both had to follow national health service guidelines they were independent to a degree and had separate local health service policies. It therefor seems unusual that they both would choose the same Astral House name for an apparently similar building/facility.
I am still befuddled - but not through drink. On the plus side, today is reasonably clear and I can see the Archives on the distant horizon.

ChipChip

Post by ChipChip » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:14 am

Just an update to confirm that I have not given up on my Astral House quest. I sent an email to Dundee Archives on 17 August and have not received a reply. Current times are difficult and the omens are not looking good. Maybe I need a wee miracle or a blue moon to appear in the sky. Perhaps this post will jog someone's memory bank and resolve it all.
Till then.

ChipChip

Post by ChipChip » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:15 pm

Just to report that I sent a second email yesterday (9 Feb) to Dundee Archives and got an immediate reply as follows -

" We have been asked by a few other researchers over the years about this property and the assumption is that it had some connection with Royal Dundee Liff Hospital. There certainly are several deaths recorded there and some are known to have been certified by doctors who worked in the hospital.
Unfortunately extensive searching of the hospital records have failed to establish an official link with Liff Hospital and we have been unable to find out anymore about the property."

I am quite surprised by the end result but now consider the subject closed.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:51 pm

Disappointing, but at least we now know that it has been looked into and there's is no surviving evidence one way or another.
Wilma