1301 Govan Road.....

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

nelmit

poorhouse apps

Post by nelmit » Sun May 07, 2006 1:20 pm

Hello Caroline,

Hope you're feeling alright after your op.

There's not huge amounts of info in the other two but they are interesting all the same.

D HEW 17/771 171007
Inspector’s Report

Christina McKenzie Brown ……..24th May 1915

159 W. Scotland St 2up left
Age 36 born 6.3.1879 at Sunderland
Prot. Housewife Separated

Daughter of Benjamin McKenzie and Jessie Campbell at 56 Paisley Road West

Married 14/6/01 at 252 Nithsdale Road 50/1901 Plantation

Husband James Brown in Victoria Infirmary since 16th inst. suffering from effects of accident sustained by falling over the stair at his dwelling.
Age 36 born 2/1/1879 at 22 Lime St s.s. Prot. Mason
Son of James Brown engine fitter and Agnes Drysdale b/d (both deceased)

Family Jessie 12 born 18/7/02 at 91 Kinning St ss
Agnes 10 born 30/10/04 at 91 Kinning St
Christina 8 born 12/5/07 at 91 Kinning St
James 6 born 29/4/09 at 91 Kinning St
Margaret 2 born 4/5/13 159 West Scotland St
Catherine 6/52 born 10/4/15 159 West Scotland St

Present address 5 years
Prior 36 Portman Street

Husband died 11/6/17
Married 17.12.20 to Jas. Gilpin

And one for her Gran

D HEW 14/13/3 12987

Elizabeth Nicol Campbell 30th January 1862

Widow age 56 Husband 59
121 Piccadilly St??
Place of birth Clackmannan
Husband – Brigend, Gorbals

Children
Mary 38 b Leith, in France
Eliz 36 b Leith, in America
Robert b Leith, at Sea
Cath.26 M. can’t tell where.
David and Jessie 14 b. Stobcross Street

Parents: Thomas Nicol and Catherine McNab deceased
John Campbell and Jean Scott deceased.

A quick search of the IGI gives you Elizabeth's birth and siblings. :D

I've just noticed the address where Christina was married and I pass Sherbrooke Church every day on my way to work.
If you would like a photograph let me know.

Kind regards,
Annette M

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sun May 07, 2006 1:49 pm

Hi Annette,

That's brilliant!

There's so much new info contained in these reports that I don't know which lead to follow up first. Been searching for Christines birth for years in London as that's where all her census entries said she was born, but I now see why I failed to find it.

Looks like I'm going to be on the computer all day with this breakthrough - well the hospital did say I had to take it easy over the next few days!

Thanks again,

Caroline
Hood, Nicholson, Strang, Taylor, Wallace - GLASGOW
Ritchie, Robertson, Smith, Summers - FIFE
Henderson, Montgomery, Rutherford - HAUGH OF URR
Hart, McAdam, Young - DUNBARTONSHIRE
Caldwell, Roberts - RENFREWSHIRE

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun May 07, 2006 2:18 pm

Caroline wrote:Hi Annette,

You may not have forgotten, but I had! Been in hospital the past week having a major eye op. so hadn't thought of my family history for a few days. It was therefore a nice surprise when I got home last night to find you had discovered info that might help me breakdown my brick wall on this family.

....much snipped......
Hi Caroline

On my own behalf and that of the TS Admin Group can I express our fervent hope that the outcome of your eye op is entirely positive.

Orraverybest

David
TSAG Admin Group

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sun May 07, 2006 2:27 pm

Thanks for that David.

It's early days yet so don't want to get too excited, but after being registered blind for the past few years, I can't express how amazing it is to be able to see properly again.

Caroline

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun May 07, 2006 2:31 pm

Caroline wrote:Thanks for that David.
Nae prob!
Caroline wrote:It's early days yet so don't want to get too excited, but after being registered blind for the past few years, I can't express how amazing it is to be able to see properly again.

Caroline
I would like to think that I can imagine how you feel after such an experience, but can only conclude that it is verging on the impossible for the sighted to imagine how it is to be "unsighted" ............

David

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun May 07, 2006 2:57 pm

Caroline wrote:Hi Annette,

That's brilliant!

There's so much new info contained in these reports that I don't know which lead to follow up first. Been searching for Christines birth for years in London as that's where all her census entries said she was born, but I now see why I failed to find it.

Looks like I'm going to be on the computer all day with this breakthrough - well the hospital did say I had to take it easy over the next few days!

Thanks again,

Caroline
Happy I've been able to help Caroline. I hoped the dates of birth might help.
I'd be interested to hear if you find Christina's actual birth entry.

Keep the feet up!

Regards,
Annette M

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Mon May 08, 2006 11:28 am

Hi Annette,
nelmit wrote: I'd be interested to hear if you find Christina's actual birth entry.
Just to let you know that I can't seem to find any trace of Christina's birth in Sunderland or elsewhere, but will keep trying. Also meant to say thanks for your offer of photographing the church, but I've managed to get it from their website.

Caroline

cathy52

Re: 1301 Govan Road.....

Post by cathy52 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:36 pm

looking for information about 1301 govan rd in march 1937. i had a relative who died there with tb would it have been the poor house or a hospital. thankyou.

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re:

Post by paddyscar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:21 pm

Hi Cathy52, and a Warm Welcome to TalkingScot [scotland-flag]

As you are new to the board, it seems you missed the first page of this thread, as the default is to take you to the most recent post.

You can go back to the first page of the thread by clicking Previous or 1 at the left of the page, just above the light blue bar at the bottom. On page 1, you will see the previous responses about 1301 Govan Road including this response
Russell wrote: ... snipped

Up to 1937 the Southern General Hospital was known as 'Merryflats' and was both hospital and Poor Law institution administered by Govan Parish Council.

It was rapidly upgraded when a vibrant new Matron took over, called Jean Donald Jolly. She made radical changes in the whole nature of the hospital and began the process of making it a respectable Medical establishment. She started by radically improving the wellbeing of all Poor Law residents.
Some, mostly female, residents were transferred to Barnhill Poorhouse in the early 1930's. ... snipped
I take it from his response that the primary function by 1937 was hospital, but that would not exclude your family member from also being a recipient of public assistance.

Someone else better acquainted with the hospital or public assistance may be along soon to give you better support that I, so make sure to come back for a check.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Currie

Re: 1301 Govan Road.....

Post by Currie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:55 am

Hello Cathy,

The Book of Glasgow (a very useful book), published 1922, page 133, has some interesting information on Southern General Hospital, including the name change from the Govan Poorhouse and Hospital in January, 1922.
http://www.archive.org/stream/bookofgla ... 2/mode/2up

In these 1930s Parliamentary documents it is described as a poorhouse run on hospital lines. http://www.google.com.au/webhp?complete ... 80&bih=840

Hope that’s useful,
Alan