Unmarried mother home or Convent in Bishopton

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Cath1960

Re: Unmarried mother home or Convent in Bishopton

Post by Cath1960 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:21 am

Allan wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:17 pm
Very interesting read on this thread.i was born in 1960.and was thankfully brought up by my grandparents.after my mother had me while staying here.it was August 1960.
I was born in July 1960

Mark Crawford

Post by Mark Crawford » Sat May 23, 2020 12:05 am

Hello, as like most of you I am researching the past which has led me to this post.
I recently discovered some old papers and news clippings from my Mothers past.
It states: She was given 2 years probation, with a condition she reside at Good Shepherd, Bishopton, Renfrewshire for 12 months. Charged with at least one account of embezzlement. She resides at Good Shepherd Convent from Nov 1950-November 1951

At first I thought she may have been an unwed mother being sentenced for her discretion but after reading here on this site I assume there was training school also there. Can anyone provide any information about why she would be sentenced there or was it only for unwed mothers?

Thanks Mark

jmccabe

Post by jmccabe » Sat May 23, 2020 11:06 am

Although it was in the same grounds, and a Catholic Church thing, the mother and baby home was separate to the main convent which was basically a young offenders institution for Catholic girls.

Mark Crawford

Post by Mark Crawford » Sun May 24, 2020 4:14 pm

Thanks jmccabe This helps me understand there is not yet another child my mother may have had there.

LesleyMB

St Euphrasias Training Centre 1966

Post by LesleyMB » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:34 pm

Im Lesley from Newcastle. I was at st Euphrasias in 1966. Im trying to get in touch with two wondeful sisters, Moira and Jean.

gordona3

Post by gordona3 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:12 am

Annie10 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:54 pm
I was at St Euphrasia's training centre in 1971 aged 13. My time spent there holds lots of happy memories both of the girls,nuns,and teaching staff. Mother Sylvester( later changed to Sister Jane Marie) was my house mother,and what a wonderful kind woman she was.Yes they did have a punishment cell as I experienced it a few times, me being a rebel without a cause, it really did look like a prison cell...locked in from 12-24 hrs depending on what you had done..my bad
I can still hear Delrosa ringing her bell in the dorms to get us up to go down to chapel before school lessons...and I'll never forget the ugly pinifores we had to wear.
Mother Patricia who was the superior was Irish and had a way with words...funny woman! I also remember Miss Brown the typing teacher, oh how she despaired with me but never gave up on me. Father Diamond the priest another warm, kind, person...Mr McDade the caretaker who stayed at the top of the drive. For recreation in the week day evenings we stuffed envelopes for Kodak,wrote letters home,or done some sewing or knitting..on the weekend evenings we were allowed to let our hair down and dance to records in the big recreational hall...Happy days dancing to Suzi Quarto and The Rubettes. I heard of the place for unmarried mothers but did not know where it was. We were always treated with respect and kindness I never saw or heard of anyone being treated badly...apart from the punishment cell...it was a "cooling off room" as Mother Sylvester called it. Once in there a few times you learned to tow the line, I could go on and on just thought I would share some of my memories. I owe them all so much I am who I am today because of all the nuns and staff.
Hi
I am having difficulties operating this message board and hope you don’t mind me sending you a message. Lots of the info you are posting is what I remember too and the nuns names, Ms Brown the typing/English teacher, I remember her too and I was a bit of a rebel with a cause but not too much. I was there in 1971 and wonder if there is anyone you would remember. My name is Alison, I am from Aberdeen and was nicknamed Ally. I was in St. Andrews house and miss Margaret was the leader of the house with sister Sylvester, who were both very caring towards me.
I learnt many good life skills there but didn’t like the uniform we all had to wear. I remember these names and more - Marie Fullerton, Mary Hughes, Margaret Steele., Margaret McCabe, Josephine, Elizabeth Kane ? Do you recognise these names ? I also remember the morning bell and the goodnight blessing with water. Mother Patricia was in charge. Sister Gerard was lovely nun sister Martin too.
I have a professional job now and I do sincerely believe they helped me to latterly grow and develop good life skills that have given me survival skills to succeed. Please contact me if you wish and perhaps you remember some of these names or even myself ? Alison (Ally) 🌞

gordona3

Post by gordona3 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:21 am

jmccabe wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 am
robertsons wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:00 am
st gerards home for unmarried mothers.in 1974 i was there for 4mths aged 15, till i had my son.there was a big building for doing laundry for hotels and i worked in there monday to thursday putting sheets through a massive press for the princely sum of 30pence an hour!two nuns rans the place,sister gertrude and sister catherine.a lady came in from bishopton to cook.
I know your post is very old now, but do the names Tess McDermott or Margaret McCabe mean anything to you? My mum (Margaret) worked there with Tess and Sisters Gertrude and Catherine (she was quite fond of Sister Gertrude, but not so keen on Catherine) and I'd sometimes have to come to work with her in the school holidays. I'm not sure if it was as early as 1974 though.
Hi, I remember Margaret McCabe but as a girl who was there when I was there in 1971 ? Alison (Ally) Aberdeen

MaggieM

Post by MaggieM » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:14 pm

Hi
I was there in the 70s.
There is a Facebook page St Euphrasias girls if you would like to join.
Maggie

MaggieM

Post by MaggieM » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:00 am

Hi would love to hear from anyone who was there in the seventies.
Maggie

jmccabe

Post by jmccabe » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:04 pm

gordona3 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:21 am
jmccabe wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 am
I know your post is very old now, but do the names Tess McDermott or Margaret McCabe mean anything to you? My mum (Margaret) worked there with Tess and Sisters Gertrude and Catherine (she was quite fond of Sister Gertrude, but not so keen on Catherine) and I'd sometimes have to come to work with her in the school holidays. I'm not sure if it was as early as 1974 though.
Hi, I remember Margaret McCabe but as a girl who was there when I was there in 1971 ? Alison (Ally) Aberdeen
Hi, that must've been a different one.