RIVETTER

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

winslowsmom

RIVETTER

Post by winslowsmom » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:31 am

Would you think that a RIVETTER would work in the shipyard, or on the ship?
I see a man about my grandfathers age and height, and of course, name, going back and forth on various ships between Glasgow and NY, Liverpool, Boston, etc. I can recognize when he travelled as a passenger because of the matching address and nearest relatives. But the crew lists don't have those. He only stayed in Boston for a year or two, then returned to Scotland, leaving a child in Boston after his divorce. So he would have reason to return, but no one remembers.

Some of the crew lists have a six digit number attached to each man. I wonder if any work records for ships crews survive? One of the crews
only had 15 men, and three of the names were the same as three of his same aged first cousins, but not terribly uncommon names, so that could be a coincidence.

While I'm asking, on one crew in 1920 something, a fellow who could have been him was listed as a horseman. What would that be? Several of his mothers brothers worked as grooms.

Thank you
Cathy

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:29 am

Hello Cathy,

I imagine that for someone to be called a Riveter their job would have been mainly riveting. That suggests employment in shipbuilding, bridge building, construction of large buildings that have steel frames etc or at least a job involving some sort of riveting on a more or less continuous basis. I can’t think of anything like that normally happening on board ship while at sea.

Someone may refer to himself as a riveter if that was his last job, or if that is what he usually did or if that was his trade for which he held a certificate or whatever.

If a ship was transporting horses the services of horsemen would be required on board to care for them. There’s some discussion about maritime horsemen and records in this thread that might be worth a read.
http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic. ... t=horseman

All the best,
Alan

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:51 am

I'm not sure if riveters were involved, but after a ship is launched it is taken away to be fitted out, often at a completely different yard and many of the workers are still on board as she is launched.
But they wouldn't have crossed the Atlantic with an unfinished ship.
Wilma

Jim McCulloch

Riveter

Post by Jim McCulloch » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:02 pm

When I left Peebles High School in the early 60s one of the first jobs I had was in the railway workshops at Barrassie, Troon.
I used to work with the riveters. Rivets were heated to glowing white in a brazier fire, then we passed them along with long handled tongs usually by sliding them along the floor till they reached the wagon being worked on.
Then they were held in place on either side and air hammers banged the rivets home. It was hard hot work especially for a young boy not long out of school but the old guys in the workshop kept us well trained.
Jim McCulloch