Life as Gardening Staff in 19th Century Lanarkshire

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

marypryde

Life as Gardening Staff in 19th Century Lanarkshire

Post by marypryde » Thu May 14, 2009 9:36 pm

I am looking for any insights into what life was like for such men and their families. I have SP records on several ancestors that indicate professional gardening was a family tradition, often passed through sons-in-law.

Thomas Barr, listed on an 1833 birth certificate for his daughter Matilda, was “Gardener, Dalserf House.” Matilda married John Burnside Thomson (occupation unknown) in 1853.

Their son, John Thomson (b. 5/8/1855, Dalserf) was Head Gardener at Calderwood Castle and living in “Head Gardener’s House” in the 1901 census. He had married Margaret Barclay of Hamilton. Margaret is supposedly the subject of a formal portrait in my possession. She died in 1904. Question: Was “Head Gardener’s Wife” of such social status that she would have a portrait done?

Before 1901, my grandfather James Pryde (b.5/12/1877, Largo, Fife) had found his way somehow to Lanarkshire and was in the 1901 Census in the “Head Gardener’s House, Calderwood Castle” as “Boarder/Gardener’s Asst.” James Pryde married John Thomson’s daughter, Ellen, in 1902 – and there you go! – Grandpa and Grandma!

By 1905, John Thomson had been elevated to “Estate Manager” at Calderwood. In October 1905, just days before his remarriage (to a 20-year-old!), John Thomson’s remaining daughters were married off, rapid fire, to a “head gardener” and a “gardener foreman,” who were apparently in John’s employ at Calderwood. (Hmmmm. No pressure there!)

Anyway, they all eventually immigrated to the U.S. where they continued the gardener/estate manager tradition for wealthy Americans.

From what I understand, Lanarkshire is probably paved over and a suburb of Glasgow by now, so I doubt there’s anyplace for me to come walk around and get a feel for what it must have been like for gardeners at Calderwood Castle or Dalserf House. Thanks to you at TS, I know I can walk around rural Fife and feel that atmosphere.

Feedback would be welcome. Sorry for the long story.
Mary Ellen
Last edited by marypryde on Fri May 15, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Researching Pryde/Doig/Scott/Jack/Paton/Frazer in Fife and Thomson/Barclay/Steele/Barr/Lockie/Sandilands in Lanarkshire

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu May 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Hi Maryellen
From what I understand, Lanarkshire is probably paved over and a suburb of Glasgow by now, so I doubt there’s anyplace for me to come walk around and get a feel for what it must have been like for gardeners at Calderwood Castle or Dalserf House.
Lanarkshire is a county, still alive and well, not all paved over. Calderwood Caste was at East Kilbride (south of Glasgow), and although maybe not still there,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Calderwood_Castle
and a picture here
There are many grand country houses and castles still standing in Scotland which are open to the public and which would, I think, give a good flavour of the gardens and the times.

Best wishes
Lesley
Last edited by LesleyB on Thu May 14, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu May 14, 2009 11:22 pm

From what I understand, Lanarkshire is probably paved over and a suburb of Glasgow by now,
Fortunately that's not the case Mary, Glasgow formed just a very small part of Lanarkshire and although the rest of the Shire it was heavily industrialised with coal mines, Steel Industry etc again that was just a small portion.
Lanarkshire to me is the rolling hills of dairy farming and the Clyde Valley where fruit growing and garden nurseries are the order of the day.

The Dalserf House of your Ancestor's day is probably long gone, but take a look on Google earth at the area and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If you want to 'see' a little of what your gardner folks did take a look at Pollock House in Glasgow, now shared between Glasgow City and the National Trust for Scotland, the gardens there are extensive and in their original state - you can see why there needed to be and army of outdoor staff!
Wilma

marypryde

Post by marypryde » Fri May 15, 2009 2:54 am

Lesley and Wilma - thank you both for enlightening me that Lanarkshire will be well worth a visit when I'm in Scotland. To repeat what I said in another post today (frustrated that I can't get onto the Lanarkshire FHS site), everyone at TS has been extremely helpful.

Lesley, first you kindly produced your own photos of current day Woodside in Largo/Fife and now you have pointed me to literally hundreds of Calderwood photos. I am sorely tempted to request autographed photos of my great-grandparents just to see what you would do!

If asked what resources are necessary to research Scottish ancestors, I would reply "only Scotland's People and Talking Scot."

Thanks and best regards, Mary Ellen
Researching Pryde/Doig/Scott/Jack/Paton/Frazer in Fife and Thomson/Barclay/Steele/Barr/Lockie/Sandilands in Lanarkshire

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri May 15, 2009 7:21 am

Hello Mary,

In Google Books Dalserf House is only mentioned briefly in some tourist guides such as this one from 1837. http://www.google.com.au/books?id=7FYLA ... #PPA104,M1

If you search in Google books http://www.google.com/books for “Thomson John Burnside” (including the quotes) you’ll find very brief references in a couple of snippets of books published 1902 and 1946.

Hope that’s useful,
Alan

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri May 15, 2009 10:28 am

Hi Mary Ellen
I am sorely tempted to request autographed photos of my great-grandparents just to see what you would do!
I think I might need to admit defeat on that one!! Mind you, if you give me their names... :lol:
If asked what resources are necessary to research Scottish ancestors, I would reply "only Scotland's People and Talking Scot."
Often with family history, many heads are better than one, and that is one of the great things about TS; the combined accumulated knowledge of research skills, local area knowledge and experience of various archives and repositories between all the members who post here means that almost every question asked about Scottish family history research can be answered. (along with questions about other parts of the world where many of our members live and have also researched!) We don't have all the answers, but if we don't know something we'll usually try our best to find out!

Best wishes
Lesley

marypryde

Post by marypryde » Fri May 15, 2009 12:45 pm

And many thanks to you, Alan! Even brief references in print make great-grandpa "real."

What a wonderful site - my own personal librarian, too! Imagine what old John Burnside Thomson would have though of a great granddaughter in the US having a real time discussion of his life in Scotland with someone in Australia.

Mary Ellen

LizzieS

Post by LizzieS » Fri May 15, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi Mary Ellen,

Just to go back to your initial question re life for gardeners in 19C. My husband also found a number of gardeners in his ancestors (though not in Lanarkshire) and got very interested in their lives.

He came across a book - "The Head Gardeners, forgotten heroes of horticulture, by Toby Musgrave" and found the first part of particular interest. I understand the rest is about specific gardens. He initially obtained a copy through our local library but now has a copy himself.

I can only add to what others have said and say there are still many quiet and rural area in Lanarkshire, indeed some of my own ancestors are buried in Dalserf Churchyard which though very near the motorway is very peaceful and like stepping back in time.

Lizzie

marypryde

Post by marypryde » Fri May 15, 2009 5:44 pm

Thanks for the book tip, Lizzy. I am now looking forward to seeing Lanarkshire. You never know who I'll find in the Dalserf churchyard, either - there's not a list on line, is there?

So far, no one has commented on whether it would have been appropriate for the Head Gardener's wife at Calderwood Castle to have a portrait done.

Regards, Mary Ellen

LizzieS

Post by LizzieS » Fri May 15, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi Mary Ellen,

There is not a list online but I have a copy of a booklet of the MI's in Dalserf church and you are right :!: Your Thomas Barr is there.

The inscription reads:
Thomas Barr died 4th September 1886 aged 87 years, his wife Helen Locke died 1st October 1879 aged 77 years. Their daughter Merrion died 7th March 1835 aged 10 years. Daughter Matilda died 21st January 1910 aged 77 years (Her husband John Thomson died 14th July 1867 aged 36 years.)

My husband just read the last message I sent and says the second part of the book is not about specific gardens but about specific gardeners :oops:
Lizzie