In Edinburgh City Archives - Leith tailors

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

jennyblain

In Edinburgh City Archives - Leith tailors

Post by jennyblain » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:34 am

Recently I spent a couple of days in the City Archives in Edinburgh (open Tues. and Thurs only) going through various records which included... (ta-ra..)
Minute books of the Incorporation of Tailors of Leith.

These turned out to be quite fascinating! I was reading the 18th century parts, from the 1730s (when they start) on. In the 1770s a rift, almost a feud even :shock: seems to have developed between two factions in this small organisation, which was pursued up to the 1790s. Then I ran out of time to read more... had to stop right in the middle of arguments about who could sit in the tailors' seats in the Kirk and an 'occupation' by the children of some of the tailors as a protest!

The earliest two of these minute books were in a quite bad state and so they are going for conservation 8)

Much interesting stuff, including the assignment of 'essay-masters' to examine and supervise the essay - the demonstration attempt - of candidates for craft master/freeman status. I've got a few notes, so if anybody had Leith tailors in your ancestry, drop me a line :)

Jenny
http://wyrdswell.co.uk/ancestors

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

Re: In Edinburgh City Archives - Leith tailors

Post by Liz Turner » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi Jenny

That's the beauty of acutally visiting an Archive - you never know the wonders you will come across :)

I remember once going to Edinburgh and having an hour or so left when I'd looked at the OPRs, I found the Kirk Session Minute books for Pittenweem. I spent the last hour rapidly copying down the info I'd found relating to ancestors who were members of the Kirk Session who had met to discuss the travails of the minister who had a bit of a problem with drink and also with a female member of the Kirk ... :!:

I'd definitely recommend to anyone who has the opportunity to visit an Archive, to do it - it can be really interesting.

Here's a wee link to the Scottish Archive Network for everyone with internet access - it's a treasure trove of information.

http://www.scan.org.uk/

Liz
Fife: Nicolson, Cornfoot, Walker, Gibson, Balsillie, Galt, Elder
NE Scot: Nicolson, Lindsay, Haliburton, Ross
Edin & Central: Nicolson, Blaikie, Stevenson, Ross, Hotchkiss, Suttie, Christie, Clelland, Gray, Purvis, Lang, Dickson
Ross & Cromarty: Ross

jennyblain

Post by jennyblain » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:37 pm

Just to add that after I 'd made the first post above, I was able to get back and get a little more about these tailors :)
But I don't know if they are 'mine' - what I really need would be a similar volume for the carpenters and I don't think that exists :?

But yes, archives and minutes can be really fascinating, including the kirk session ones (though the rebukes for pre-nuptial fornication can get a bit repetitive...) Some of the statements about political stances and such lead into careful examination of the politics and undercurrents of the day.

Jenny

AileenA

Post by AileenA » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi
That sounds fascinating! I've got a master tailor in Fountainbridge in my tree, would there be any info on tailors in that area do you think? :?
searching for: Hutchison or Hutcheson, Frame, Campbell

jennyblain

Post by jennyblain » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:01 am

Hi Aileen - I replied last night but think the connection wiped it out!
For Fountainbridge you'd have to look in Edinburgh trades records. I can't remember what they have in the City Archives, but they have an online list of what's available - if you google Edinburgh City Archives you should get it.

Were they only in Fountainbridge or did they move around? In case they were ever in Leith, I've a record of quite a few of the Leith names.
Jenny

AileenA

Post by AileenA » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:33 am

Hi Jenny
Thanks for your advice, no they only lived in Fountainbridge, I'll have a look to see what's available.
Cheers
Aileen

JB

Post by JB » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:10 am

Hi Aileen

The National Archive Scotland online index may also be a useful source which can be followed up with a visit.

While researching a family story around the 1790s about, shoemakers and weavers in Edinburgh, Leith & Fife I came across the following -

A trial for Illegal Combination in Edinburgh in 1799 involving a group of journeymen tailors - in summary they left their work with a master tailor, Mr Craig, because their foreman, Mr Forrest refused to become a member of the journeyman society and pay his dues. The accused believed all foreman tailors were members but only occasionally attending the weekly call meetings. The society at one of their meetings, after the four had stopped work (ie gone on strike), passed a resolution that no journeymen would work with foremen who were not members of the society – thus escalating matters. Tailors involved were William Hossack, Alexander Boyack, Rbt Oliver, Adam Elphinstone James Leishman, Alex Marshall. Included in the papers there is also a list of witnesses and information about how the journeyman tailors operated. NAS Ref AD26/1800/42

John
Scotland Research - Brown Blair Anderson Berwick Melville Park Scott

AileenA

Post by AileenA » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks John, that's really interesting, I'll see what I can dig up if anything on my rellie.
Cheers :)
Aileen