Coachwright Query

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish1

Coachwright Query

Post by trish1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:31 pm

One of my ggg grandfathers was John Haxton - coachwright - living in Kirkcaldy 1798 - 1868. From his marrige record, his father was a Sailor.

Family stories include the following comment - John Haxton was a coach builder. Their seal was a tiny ship with figure & words very tiny below “I ASPIRE”

Was it usual for coach builders to have a "seal". Is there anywhere I can look in an attempt to verify the story? My googling has not been very successful to-date

Trish

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi Trish

Most wrights and artisans generally had some sort of identifying mark. Whether it should be called a 'seal' I don't know but a man who took pride in his work, if it was a permanent item, would include some sort of mark. Stone masons from very early times would mark each stone they worked.
Restoration work on old houses often exposes beams and joists marked by the workman who cut, trimmed and carved them. Even men doing plaster work often left their marks which would then be covered up by the wall coverings.
I haven't heard of a coach builder guild in the area but, since they would be top of the cart-wright experts there may have been some records. Perhaps someone with expertise in some of the trades will be able to help.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi Trish

I wonder if it may be an idea to contact Fife Coucils Archives centre - I believe they have some trade incorporation records so they may be able to help or advise.

http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/topics/ind ... 3F14B400E1

Best wishes
Lesley

trish1

Post by trish1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:57 pm

Thank you for the explanation Russell - my knowledge related to trades pre 20th century is extremely limited - it could well be that the family here used the word "seal" for want of understanding as well. Thanks also for the link Lesley, I shall follow it up

Trish