Tom Mac DONALD – Leatherman

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Alan SHARP

Tom Mac DONALD – Leatherman

Post by Alan SHARP » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:42 pm

In a recent Egglesham post, re cobblers, I gave, as an example, a farmer who made his own Leather. That farmer was Tom MacDONALD who lead a colourful and active life. At age 14 he signed on the Marine Society’s training ship “Warspite” for nine months, then signed on for two voyages on the “African Monarch” lasting 18 months, where he saved the crew’s Halal slaughtered sheep hides, and taught himself how to tan them. Waste not – want not, was his motto. Then followed a stint on the “SS Titain” until WWI broke out. As his parents did not want him at sea, he signed up with the 9th Royal Sussex Regiment in 1914, and served with them in France in 1915 – 1917.

Having liked what he had seen of New Zealand, from the ports he had visited, he got an assisted passage, (if he worked on the land for a period) fully intending to one day return to the deep sea, or costal trade. Instead he found himself posted to a inland valley called Waitetuna, between the coastal port of Raglan, and the Waikato plains. Once married, in the district, he settled down and farmed there the rest of his life. When I met him, he was in his late 70’s and rueing the fact that he had made the mistake of making too good a leather hand bag for one grand child, then found all the others expected the same treatment. Even the boys reckoned a saddle bag would be OK. (Waikato YFC Yearbook 1974)

Alan SHARP

Currie

Re: Tom Mac DONALD – Leatherman

Post by Currie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Hello Alan,

I was just cruising past and reread your very interesting post, and though I would add some information about the Training Ship Warspite. I guess that Tom MacDonald would have been on the second Warspite, ex HMS Conqueror, Ex HMS Waterloo, which served the purpose between 1876 and 1918, when it was destroyed by fire.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... s%3Disch:1

All the best,
Alan

Alan SHARP

Re: Tom Mac DONALD – Leatherman

Post by Alan SHARP » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:31 pm

Greetings Alan.

As usual your references and links, to supporting material, add colour and insight to the posts. Helping us to immerse ourselves in the past, and give meaning to the past, that is so different to our own walk of life.

Regards,

Alan SHARP.