Bottlemakers in Glasgow- next generation?

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

littlealison

Bottlemakers in Glasgow- next generation?

Post by littlealison » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:42 am

Especially my gggrandfather, John Little, 1812 - 1889.
He was associated with the Borrons, bottlemakers, at Portdundas, in several censuses until 1871, BUT I've found him in 1863 and 1866 (Glasgow Directories) in a firm called Stevenson and Little, at his address.
Anyone heard of either of them? I know Stevenson went on being a bottlemaker until at least 1891. John Little moved down to Newton-le-Willows in Lancashire at some point, and was still working with the Borrons. I'm trying to find out what happened in the 1860s!

Does anyone know if/where the Glasgow Directory for 1888 is online?
Last edited by littlealison on Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Researching:
LITTLE - Scotland, Lancashire, Dublin and South Africa. And Canada.
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland
ANDREWS, MEMERY, DOWSE and BIRMINGHAM - Dublin
PRICE, JACKSON, ROGERS, ALLEN - N. Wales

Currie

Re: Bottlemakers in Glasgow

Post by Currie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Hello Alison, and welcome to TalkingScot.

This appears to be the Glasgow Post Office Directory 1891/92.
http://www.archive.org/details/postofficeannual00glas

There’s a notice in the Edinburgh Gazette, published on the 26 August 1870.
http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issu ... pages/1022

The Copartnery carrying on business as Glass Bottle Manufacturers at Camlachie, and also at the Caledonian Bottle Works, Garngadhill, Glasgow, under the Firm of Stevenson & Little, of which the Subscribers are the sole Partners, was Dissolved of mutual consent on the 20th day of August, 1870, by the Retirement of the Subscriber John Little.
All debts due to and by the concern will be received and discharged by the Subscribers, Archibald C. Stevenson and Peter Stevenson, who will carry on the business for their own behoof under the Firm of Stevenson & Co.
Glasgow, August 25, 1870.

Glasgow Herald, Saturday, November 29, 1862
A brief description of some of the glass making techniques of Stevenson & Little.

Glasgow Herald, Friday, June 25, 1869
Report of Court of Session, Edinburgh.
Action brought by Messrs Perreus & Harrison, of Stourbridge, clay merchants, against William Geddes Borron, glass and bottle manufacturer, Camlachie, near Glasgow, for the purpose of reducing a deed of submission …………….etc”
This is a lengthy report to do with a dispute over the quality of clay supplied.

Glasgow Herald, Friday, September 3, 1869;
A list of petitions to the Dean of Guild Court
Stevenson and Little, glass bottle manufacturers at Camlachie and in Glasgow, to make certain alterations on and additions to their present buildings fronting Croft Street and Great Eastern Road.”

Glasgow Herald, Friday, March 4, 1870
Stevenson & Little sued by an apprentice for failure to give him work. Apparently the apprentice was hopeless and kept spoiling things.

Glasgow Herald, Tuesday, January 5, 1886
Here’s an interesting paragraph contained within a lengthy letter to the newspaper.
The old cuckoo-cry is again revived that strikes have driven much work to Belgium and Glass to Germany. The Phoenix Foundry and Stevenson & Little’s Bottle Works, Camlachie, are cited as instances in which strikes have wrought havoc to the workmen and ruin to the firms—the latter place being now famous for “black misery,” demi-nude scholars, and cackling loafers, the very cemetery of Scottish manly independence.”

It’s probably worth a visit to “British Newspapers 1800-1900” if you haven’t already been there as there is probably other material worth seeing. http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/

Here’s something from a book “Scottish and Jacobite Glass‎”, page 150, by John Arnold Fleming, 1938. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=PqZ ... pyvDw&cd=2
“………….. by the famous Anderson Brewery were made by Stevenson & Price close by. Stevenson died in 1846, when Price assumed William Geddes Borron as a partner; the title of the firm now became Borron, Price & Co. a son of Stevenson started in Camlachie and had also a furnace at Sighthill but both were closed in 1890, afterwards he had several small cribs. Young Jack Little, of Stevenson & Little, with Charlie Borron, as they were intimately called, migrated to Newton-le-Willows, St. Helens, and recommenced operations with the tank system. Many Scots accompanied them. Borron died in 1928 full of years, being over ninety.”

Hope that’s useful,
Alan

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:38 pm

It's more than useful, Alan, it's wonderful!
'Cackling loafers', strikes, court disputes (I found that one, but it wasn't the only one) - also apprentices being Imprisoned for absence from work, and several assorted fires in the works!
Not a happy place.
It must have been the Stevenson son who I followed through to 1891.
I've been sorting out John Little's later history via the Newton-le-Willows site - if you want you can see quite a lot on there, although you may have to register to see it.
Thank you so much. I'll take this away and think and see if I have more questions to put here, I find more info usually makes more questions! - Alison
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:48 am

I read the piece from the Glasgow Herald about Stevenson and Little's working practices and what struck me was that they had the very new indeed Sieman's Regenerative Gas furnace - invented the year before, in fact. (1861) Quote - 'the first in the country.'

Since I've also been reading about reactions and resentment in Victorian times to the introduction of different practices and machines - could this have affected the worker-employer relations in this works? ...Would this - I've been searching but can't find anything - have put people out of work?
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:31 am

Sorry Alison, I seem to have missed your supplementary question.

There’s a report in this book of the effect on working conditions of the introduction of the Siemen’s Patent Regenerative Gas Furnace into glass manufacture. It’s possibly only available in full view in the USA so you may only see a snippet. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=id4 ... CDMQ6AEwAA

However, it is included in Parliamentary Papers.

1874 [C.1086] Reports of the inspectors of factories to Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department for the half-year ending 30th April 1874.

Siemen's Process in the Manufacture of Glass.
I subjoin a letter I have received from Mr. Rickards respecting the adaptation of Siemen's process to the manufacture of glass:
DEAR SIR, Leeds, 10th July 1874.
PERMIT me to bring under your notice an important change in the process of glass manufacture by the introduction of Siemen's Patent Regenerative Gas Furnaces, as now to be seen in operation at the works of Messrs. Sykes and Macvay, at Castleford.
"In order to understand better the advantages of this new process, it may be well to briefly describe the process hitherto adopted for the melting of the metal in the manufacture of glass.
"The melting of glass has always been done in large 'pots,' of which four are usually arranged in each glass-house, in such a manner that all are heated together and all are worked together. These 'pots' are large circular vessels of fire-clay, rather more than three feet high with about three feet internal diameter at the top, gradually sloping to about two feet at the bottom, and about three inches thick. They are three months in being built, and have to be kept in stock 12 months to season, and last when in use, on an average, four weeks. Sufficient metal is put into each 'pot' for one day's use, and the 'founding' or melting of the metal has to be so arranged every day as to provide for each man's day's work. This necessitates very early hours for the blowers of the glass, e.g., their week usually begins on Monday morning at 2 or 3 a.m., and on Tuesday the same, on Wednesday at 4, and Thursday at 5 a.m.
By Siemen's process the metal is melted in a large tank, 14ft. by 10 ft., by 1 ft. 6 in. deep, made of large fire-bricks called 'quarries.' This tank, when filled will hold sufficient metal for several days' work, but in practice is not emptied, because it is replenished every day, and on this account, the metal being always ready, the men can have fixed hours for work and meals every day, just the same as any other factory, by this means entirely doing away with the necessity for young persons and men having to start work so early as 2 or 3 a.m., thus causing an entire change in the working habits of the trade, and greatly improving the moral and physical condition of the workers. The metal is melted by the combustion of gas and common air, on the principle of Bunsen's burner, by an arrangement most effective and ingenious, in which there is a great saving of fuel, with complete combustion of smoke. The tank, will last four months, but the top will last about two years.
"The regularity of the work hours, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (with suitable meal-hours), is such a boon to the workers that all are anxious to work in this department."
I have seen the above process in full operation, and consider that it possesses all the advantages attributed to it by Mr. Rickards, not the least of which is that of lessening the employment of young persons during the night.
I have, &c.,
DANIEL WALKER,
Alex. Redgrave, Esq., ,
H.M. Inspector of Factories.

Daniel Walker was the Assistant Inspector of Factories who made the report.

Unless there were problems getting the bosses to settle on the 6am to 6pm day in the years before the 1874 report, or maybe after, everything appears to have been okay as far as the new furnace was concerned.

There were industrial disputes in glass-making, for all sorts of reasons, even before the introduction of the new furnace. Here’s a report of one in 1858. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=RL0 ... &q&f=false

All the best,
Alan

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Back again Alison,

Here’s something interesting from the Glasgow Herald, Saturday, December 21, 1867.

THE GENERAL TRADES OF GLASGOW.
THE GLASSMAKERS.
The Flint-Glass and Bottle Makers of Glasgow number about 600, including journeymen, apprentices, and others engaged at the different works. They are generally well employed, and the higher classes of workmen in both branches are able to earn about 50s per week. The flint-glass makers are divided into three classes, viz., "workmen," "servitors," and "footmakers"—each three being called a "chair" or squad, as they work together at the same furnace. They begin work early on Monday morning for a spell of six hours; after which they are six hours off; and so on alternately by shifts until the week's work is finished. The ordinary week's darg can be accomplished in from 30 to 36 hours, for which the "footmakers'" receive on an average 16s per week, "servitors" about 23s, and "workmen”, about 33s, or something like one shilling per hour. As they generally work eight shifts of six hours each, the actual wages earned in the course of a week amount to at least one-third more than the rates above given. The flint-glass makers have a union, which is understood to be one of the strictest associations of the kind in the United Kingdom. It is called the "National Flint-Glass Makers' Sick and Friendly Society of Great Britain and Ireland," and its head-quarters, we believe, are at present in Birmingham. The entry-money for each member ranges from 10s to £7, according to age and occupation—"footmakers" being admitted at one-third less than either "workmen"or "servitors." The contributions are fixed at 1s 3d per week for the two latter classes, and 10d for the former, or lowest paid class; and in return for these payments each "workman" or "servitor," while on the sick list, receives 12s per week for thirteen weeks, 10s per week for a similar period, 8s for 26 weeks, and 5s for 26 weeks more. Members on strike receive 15s per week for six months, if necessary, and 10s for other six months; while members intending to emigrate are assisted to the extent of £8 10s, if they have been three years on the roll of the society. In addition to these benefits, the union pays the travelling fare of each member going to fill a situation, and allows pocket-money besides to the extent of 2s 6d, and other sums not exceeding 6s, according to the length of the journey. There is also a superannuation allowance from 3s to 8s per week; the amount of which depends upon the length of time the recipient may have been in the society; or the weekly allowance may be cleared off by a single payment mutually agreed upon, which must not exceed £50 in any case. The funeral benefit amounts to £10 for each clear member, and a similar amount for each member's wife; but no member is entitled to the full benefits of the society unless he has paid two years' contributions, and is clear upon the books. The union does not permit the employment of more apprentices than one to each six journeymen, except under special circumstances, and employers when in want of workmen are obliged to apply through the district secretary instead of engaging the men themselves. The society is all-powerful, in short; and the masters are constrained to submit in many cases, to arrangements which they consider unjust, for the sake of peace.

Alan

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:56 pm

Oh, very interesting.
I'll repeat that address :
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=RL0 ... &q&f=false
I just wanted to say that this book has a lot about 19c Trade unions, not just glassmakers, and others on this thread might be interested.

Thanks for the full version, I can only see a snippet of that report. It seems that the inspectors, and presumably the glass manufacturers, thought the new idea was a good thing. I guess it would depend on how the changeover was dealt with. Neil, who worked in a glass works, has said that some of the workers may have been put out of work, though.
So far all I am sure of is that something went wrong with Stevenson and Little's good idea!

There is more on the Newton-le-Willows site (Bottle Works) and on RootsChat (Siemans RGF in 'Working Life') if you (anyone) is interested. You may have to register on the Newton site to see it.
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

littlealison

Re: Bottlemakers in Glasgow - Elusive ggfather.

Post by littlealison » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:37 pm

I now know that Stevenson and Little were partners from about 1863 to 1870, when the parnership was dissolved and Stevenson and his son carried on. John Little my gggrandfather went down to Newton-le-Willows. Thanks everyone for help so far.
His son John is much more difficult to find.
I have him at 3 months in Dumbarton (1841) and at age 10 in Glasgow 1851 (Address: 32 Lancefield St). After that I don't know where he was or what he worked at.
I have a possible sighting of him in Edinburgh in the 1861 census, as a bottleblower.

The evidence I have that he was in Glasgow is that he had six children there in three different areas, 1862 until 1868. In 1870 he is suddenly in Dublin. (That's definite)
His name was also John Little, and he was (probably) a bottlemaker. Was he?

I have a growing feeling that the father and son didnt get on. It's possible that John Two's mother and two of his sisters died, and he certainly had a stepmother and many half-siblings.
He was in Glasgow in the 1860s, not apparently working with his father, then moved to Dublin, then to South Africa. Elusive everywhere.

Every reference I can find so far - except the children! can be traced to his father, not to him. I’d like to know where he lived and what he was doing.
Any ideas... for a small budget and from Oxfordshire? Alison
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland