Moderator: Global Moderators

Currie

Re: Willy Barr, bro-in-law of John Little, Glasgow

Post by Currie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:09 am

Hello Alison,

I read in Seafaring that you want more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJugdk4OGc

Glasgow Herald, Wednesday, October 24, 1866
Witness at a steamboat collision inquiry “William Barr, master of the river steamer Rothesay Castle” ….… ”had been ten years master on the Clyde”.

Glasgow Herald, Tuesday, August 9, 1870
William Barr, master of the passenger steamer Carrick Castle, charged with reckless navigation.

Glasgow Herald, Saturday, June 2, 1888
The Edinburgh Castle (Captain William Barr), is again on the Lochgoilhead route, sailing from Glasgow at nine and returning in the afternoon”.

Glasgow Herald, Monday, May 6, 1895
The Royal mail saloon steamers Edinburgh Castle (Captain William Barr, the oldest master on the Clyde) and ……. ”

Liverpool Mercury etc, Friday, October 27, 1899
Article stating Captain William Barr of the Clan s.s. Clan Campbell to be Marine Superintendent of that company. He served his apprenticeship with Messrs. John P. Kidston and Company, sailing out of Glasgow, later entered Loch Line of sailing ships, then took command of Glasgow ships East Lothian and West Lothian. He joined the Clan Line in 1883. (This one doesn’t sound like a Clyde river captain)

Here’s a book of about 400 pages, “The Clyde Passenger Steamer” published 1904. It’s also downloadable as a pdf file. On page 178 there’s a small photo of Captain John Barr. Against it there’s reference to the Edinburgh Castle. “She was built by R. Duncan & Co., for the Glasgow and Loch Goil traffic of the Loch Goil Company. She still plies on her original route in charge of her original commander, Captain John Barr, who is now the senior skipper in harness on the Clyde passenger steamers". http://www.archive.org/stream/clydepass ... 8/mode/2up

There’s a list of ships at the back (p347) and columns for owners and masters and much more. The name Barr is scattered all through the list but in the Master’s column these are the ones I can see:

W. Barr master of Rothesay Castle of 1865
W. Barr master of Carrick Castle of 1870
W. Barr master of Windsor Castle of 1875
W. Barr master of Edinburgh Castle of 1879

Someone has written a J. under each of the W. letters. It looks like the Master of the Edinburgh Castle is known as both John and William or someone has made an error. http://www.archive.org/stream/clydepass ... 0/mode/2up

If I search for Captain John Barr in the 19C newspapers I find one in 1853 being fined for racing his steamboat Queen on the Clyde. From 1883 it’s all yacht racing. This one is not our alleged Edinburgh Castle captain.

According to the New York Times, March 15, 1890, Captain John Barr, of Thistle fame, had just arrived from Glasgow and his family will settle permanently in Marblehead. There’s a report of his death in the NYT, January, 1909, age 63, at Marblehead. He was born Glasgow, learned trade as boat builder at Gourock. Skippered the Scottish 1887 Americas Cup challenge. Had a brother Charles, also an AC skipper, and both sailed for the Americans.
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 946897D6CF

There’s another skipper, John M Barr, nephew of then late Charles Barr, who is ocean racing from the US in 1928.

I’m not sure whether any of that is much use,
Alan

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:29 am

Hello Alan
- yes, lots of use! We had the first two Glasgow Herald bits, but none of the rest.
I have been reading the Clyde Passenger Steamer book online, very interesting. Especially about the Arran Castle, (if there was only one) - somewhere I have found a mention of William Barr captaining her.

I now think that Willy Barr was Isabella's uncle - and I am sending for the marriage certificate to see if I can find out any more.......Thanks for your research, Alison
Researching:
LITTLE - Scotland, Lancashire, Dublin and South Africa. And Canada.
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland
ANDREWS, MEMERY, DOWSE and BIRMINGHAM - Dublin
PRICE, JACKSON, ROGERS, ALLEN - N. Wales

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:53 pm

I am still waiting for that marriage certificate.
Meanwhile I found something about Willy Barr that might be interesting:
Try, for a sad story: http://www.neilmunro.co.uk/paragraphs2b.htm.

And for an illustration:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... =90&ty=136

..........it does go rather well with the story!
I do get the drift of the caption, but if anyone can translate the last two words for me.....
Thanks! Alison.
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:46 am

Hello Alison,

That’s from “Punch”, and in March, 1880, it’s all over the news, but without the cartoon.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, Friday, March 12, 1880.
LOCAL OPTION.—Captain of Clyde steamer (to stoker, as they sighted their port)—"Slack awee, Donal’, slack awee” —(he was interested in the liquors sold) —“they’re drencken haurd yenoo !!”

I’ve no idea what it means.

Here’s a better copy for you. http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 ... /Punch.jpg

All the best,
Alan

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:57 am

I get it now. I thought the stoker had reason to speed up, but it isn't that, is it? The longer they take to get there, the more liquor they will sell! So 'Slow down, Donald!'
cheers!!! Alison
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 am

Thanks Alison,

Now it makes sense. I wasn't paying enough attention to the hard drinking passengers in the background.

All the best,
Alan

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:06 pm

(I have just done this once and got logged off for some reason just as I was posting!)

to: Alan and Annette - I have just received the marriage certficate for Isabella Barr and John Little.
Her father was Alexander Barr, Ship's Steward. (which probably explains why he is lost to the censuses after 1851.) They married on 11th May 1871 in Dublin. They were living round the corner from each other in Donnybrook at the time.

I've since found a little more; Isabella Neilson Barr, born 4th December 1843 to Alexander and Isabella Neilson - her mother given on the 1851 census as Isabella Neilson.

So Captain William Barr was her Uncle Willy, which all fits satisfactorily, I think
....thanks for your help, all - Alison.
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland