Boarder/Lodger.....

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

ellenavon

Post by ellenavon » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:02 pm

I have that child's birth cert somewhere. Let me go and have a look.

Will get back to you.

Cheers

Ellen.
Researching: Grant; MacIntosh; Wright; Parley; Souter; Jaffray; Sangster; all North East & Speyside and Sutherland, Glasgow then Sutherland County; Buchanan, Stirlingshire; Lamond, North East; Stronach, Morayshire to name but a few!

ellenavon

Post by ellenavon » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:23 pm

Hi Jean

As I thought - she is the illegitimate child of Christina McIntosh, daughter of Alexander and Elizabeth McIntosh, and neice of my great grandmother.

All three of the grandchildren listed are illegitimate kids. All registered under McIntosh, but obviously being known by the family under the names of the (alleged!) fathers!

There's a notation on the side of little Elsie Fraser's (McIntosh) birth cert, but it doesn't look like an RCE.

Have your lot been leading my lot astray????? Mind you looks like they didn't need much encouragement..........

William Gordon on the 1891 is registered as William McIntosh (illegitimate) to Isabella McIntosh.

James Seaton on the 1891 is registered as James Alexander MacKintosh (illegitimate) to Elizabeth MacKintosh.

Neither has an RCE to change name to any alleged father's.

Funnily enough, now that I look at young James's birth cert, on the same page is another little Elsie Fraser, b. 7th Feb 1886 at Easter Duthil (another farm that some of my folks have lived at, in the same vicinity).
Parents John Fraser, shepherd and Betsy Fraser, m.n. Fraser, married 14th Feb 1878 @ ?Dalmossie? Parish Church.

What a tangled web we weave!

Cheers

Ellen. PS, must go shop now, cupboard is bare after hols. Will be back to investigate further.
Researching: Grant; MacIntosh; Wright; Parley; Souter; Jaffray; Sangster; all North East & Speyside and Sutherland, Glasgow then Sutherland County; Buchanan, Stirlingshire; Lamond, North East; Stronach, Morayshire to name but a few!

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:10 pm

John Fraser and Betsy Fraser and a child called Elsie Fraser don't fit into my lot (at the moment)

Do you have any McDonalds in your lot? I have a few McDonalds who led the Fraser girl's "astray"

I also have a few Frasers who don't quite tie up yet but they are married to Grant and McIntosh!

They all have such common names, it gets difficult at times to work out who is who. They are all James, William, John etc. and Mary, Ann, Elsie etc

As for surnames we're on a hiding to nothing with Fraser, McDonald, Grant and McIntosh.

Oh for a Quentin McSpurtle or the like to make life easier. There again, McBain is a bit different and we're struggling with that.

Jean

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

More re Jane McBain

Post by Jean Jeanie » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:31 pm

Wee Jane McBain grows up. James and Euphemia Fraser's daughter Grace Fraser marries a Sydney Poole (now there's a different name) in 1907 and one of the witnesses is J. McBain

Doesn't help us though. Unless you know who Sydney Poole is????!!!!??? His father was Sydney Poole and his mother was Jane Ann Poole m.s. Fraser, both deceased.

Jean

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

1901 Census

Post by Jean Jeanie » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:13 pm

Hi Ellen

Found the Fraser family in 1901 in Kelvin Glasgow! John Fraser had died in 1898. His wife Jessie (m.s. McBain) is there with the chidren.

Do any of your McBains migrate to Glasgow? This is the only Fraser, I have found, who leaves Inverness in the late 1890's

Jean

bobfras

Post by bobfras » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:23 pm

Hi Jean, I saw your message about :-
Jean Jeanie wrote:
I also have a few Frasers who don't quite tie up yet but they are married to Grant and McIntosh!
I have a William Fraser m Christy MackIntosh 6 Apr 1805. William was the Tacksman of Borlum for some time and died in 1826. Christy outlived him and inherited a great deal of money, but I haven't been able to find out anything about her other than she was born 1784 to a James MackIntosh.

Does anything of this match up with anything you know?

Al the best,
Bob
Searching for Fraser, MackIntosh and assosiated families in Inverness-shire and Moray.

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:19 pm

Hi Bob

No connection with my lot, sorry to say.

My Frasers all come from Cromdale Morayshire.

Jean

kiwiceltic

Re: Boarder/Lodger.....

Post by kiwiceltic » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:48 pm

1879 MCBAIN ELSIE MILNE F FORDYCE BANFF 153/01 0045
belongs to my branch of the family.

Elsie Milne McBAIN b. 08 Aug 1879, New Mills Of Boyne, Fordyce, Banffshire, Scotland md.
+(1).William SMITH b. 1880, Montrose, Forfar, Scotland, m. 16 Nov 1900, Edinburgh, Scotland, parents. William Mollison (Collison) SMITH and Barbara EDWARDSON
Elsie Milne McBAIN remarried (2). David WATSON b. 08 APR 1865, Anstruther Easter, Fife, Scotland, md. 06 Dec 1895, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, parents. David WATSON and Helen MITCHELL
#1.David WATSON b.1897, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
#2.Alexander WATSON b. 1899, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

Would love to make contact with anyone related to her.

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Boarder/Lodger.....

Post by SarahND » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:29 am

Hello kiwiceltic and [TS_welcome]
In order to understand your post, I read the entire topic - and what an interesting roller-coaster ride it was! I hope some of the original posters on this topic will come along soon and comment, as it's all a muddle in my head at the moment...

All the best,
Sarah