Glasgow Southside Cemeteries

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

Adquick

Glasgow Southside Cemeteries

Post by Adquick » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:14 pm

I have a few questions regarding Glasgow Cemeteries, which I hope someone may be able to help with.

1. I have the Deeds for the purchase of one Lair at Eastwood Cemetery, 20 Harriet Street, Pollockshaws, Glasgow - numbered 1190 in Section D Class 111. I can find and old Eastwood Cemetery and a new Eastwood Cemetery, but neither of them seem to be related to a Harriet Street. Does anyone know to which cemetery this purchase refers? It is dated 1916 if that helps to determine location.

2. Where would those who died in the heart of the Gorbals (Main Street) be buried in 1860?

3. Can anyone tell me where to locate the burial records for these cemeteries?

4. Where would those who died at the Govan Lunatic Asylum (1885) and Govan Poorhouse (1909) be buried and where can one locate burial records?

Many thanks,

Alistair
Researching: Quinlan,Ferguson,Callaghan(Glasgow),Winton(Angus, Dunbarton),Malcolm(Co Down,Glasgow,Dunbarton),Burnett(Kincardine,Angus,Clydebank),Law(Ayr, Argyll),Seckie (Ayr),Orr(Ayr,Co Antrim),Walker(Angus),McCallum(Argyll),Aitkin(Hawick).

Hibee

Re: Glasgow Southside Cemeteries

Post by Hibee » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi Alistair

There are two cemeteries (at least one of which is called Eastwood) beside Thornliebank railway station. I think they are RC and Protestant.

But there is an older cemetery at the junction of Kirk Lane and Riverbank Street. Easily visible on Google Earth.

As for Harriet Street, it no longer seems to exist in Pollockshaws, although there is one in Rutherglen

Hibee
www.adams-of-adamsrow.com
Adam(s): Newton, Midlothian
Brock: Orkney/Leith
Bridges: Leith
Sweeney: Ireland/Leith
Brown: Edinburgh/Hamilton

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:35 pm

The Old Eastwood Cemetery and the "New" Eastwood Cemetery are located more or less opposite one another. The Old Eastwood Cemetery was, I was informed, the old eastwood kirk ground. The New eastwood is non denominational.

I have a lair certificate which shows the burial was in Lair 910 Section A Class One Eastwood - which was traced to Old Eastwood.
The Cemetery company offices were at 20 Harriet Street Pollokshaws

Both cemeteries are now administered by Glasgow Council
Last edited by Falkyrn on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~RJ Paton~

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Re point 2 above The Southern Necropolis is the most likely for the Gorbals at that time, The Mitchell in Glasgow have some of those records which are also available through LDS Family History Centres

Re Govan Poor house ... it depends on who organised the funeral - if family then generally locally to family if done by the "Parish" it would depend a lot on the time period and common ground in a local churchyard was most often used.

Glasgow Council have the Lair records for all of the cemeteries administered by them

The bad news is that they charge a very high fee for any searches -- the good news is that currently they are unable to do any searches as the records are being digitised with a view to making them available online. (possibly Scotlands people ?? )
~RJ Paton~

Lindsay

Post by Lindsay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:45 pm

OK I'm treading carefully given that my last post was on spelling :)

As a long time resident of the Southside, I just wanted to clarify that it's Pollokshaws, Pollokshields, Pollok, no "c". Of course this is the modern established spelling but it drives me mad to see it with a c ;)

I know there is still a Harriet Place so Harriet St may have been near there & knocked down when the high rises were built

But in terms of existing cemteries, Kirk Lane would seem the best bet - it's sadly neglected but is the burial place of one of Burns' children
http://theglasgowstory.com/image.php?in ... mp%3Bl%3Dy

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=55.8241 ... 0&t=h&z=16
Lindsay

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:57 pm

If you go to http://www.pollokshaws.org.uk there is a brief history of Pollokshaws in pdf format which includes a map showing the location of Harriet Street.

The photo gallery also has some images of Harriet Street.
~RJ Paton~

Adquick

Post by Adquick » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Hibee, Falkyrn & Lindsay - thanks all for your various answers, suggestions and ideas. I'll off and use Google maps some more.

The only informartion I have on undertakers relates to two death, 1858 and 1860, both bodies taken from Gorbals Main Street addresses (Nos. 108 and 129) and the name given is James Howie, Undertaker.

I'll maybe also need to take a look at the renamed Glasgow Streets to see if there was another Harriet Street in Pollockshaws that's no longer there.

Thanks again, :D :D :D

Alistair
Researching: Quinlan,Ferguson,Callaghan(Glasgow),Winton(Angus, Dunbarton),Malcolm(Co Down,Glasgow,Dunbarton),Burnett(Kincardine,Angus,Clydebank),Law(Ayr, Argyll),Seckie (Ayr),Orr(Ayr,Co Antrim),Walker(Angus),McCallum(Argyll),Aitkin(Hawick).

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:32 pm

The Lair certificate you have sounds very much like the one I have for my great grandparents .... the reference to Harriet Street is the official address of the company which at that time ran the cemeteries.

The map I referrred to above in the History of Pollokshaws clearly shows a Harriet Street which certainly does not exist any more, there was also a Harriet Street in Pollokshields a mile or so from the 'Shaws
~RJ Paton~

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:42 pm

A squint at the old maps site for Pollokshaws showed a building marked ch behind the buildings on Harriet Street and near Greenbank Park.
That map is dated 1915, the 1930's map shows it as Misn. Ch..
Earlier maps don't show any actual burial grounds in that area,

but as Falkryn has pointed out:
The Cemetery company offices were at 20 Harriet Street Pollokshaws
I would assume that the company address was the one shown on the lair deeds and the plot number would, somehow, indicate which of the cemeteries it was located in.
Wilma

Lindsay

Post by Lindsay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Not aware of a Harriet St in Pollokshields - there is a HErriet St though (my old address :) ).
Lindsay